PDA

View Full Version : Cover up a heat vent????

labs4life
03-21-2013, 02:47 AM
I have a heat vent at the foot of the bed in our Sprinter. We really don't need the heat in the "bedroom" and it just gets trapped at the foot of the bed. Can I cover this vent and not cause problems? I am sure the unit has a CFM of flow that is needed, just curious if the other three vents would be sufficient if I blocked this one.

SteveC7010
03-21-2013, 03:18 AM
I have a heat vent at the foot of the bed in our Sprinter. We really don't need the heat in the "bedroom" and it just gets trapped at the foot of the bed. Can I cover this vent and not cause problems? I am sure the unit has a CFM of flow that is needed, just curious if the other three vents would be sufficient if I blocked this one.

We've had some discussions about this, but from the point of view of improving flow from other registers. The consensus seems to be that blocking off one register probably won't matter.

One thing I think you should do is access the furnace and make sure that there aren't any leaks from the distribution box. I did mine and found a lot of issues.

Another would be to eyeball the entire ducting system to check for crushed or kinked lines. A lot of folks have reported finding these things and they seriously affect how well your furnace distributes warm air.

I point these things out because if there are other problems in the system, blocking off one vent might magnify a problem elsewhere.

All that said, give it a shot. Check the air flow from the other registers before and after you block it off to see if it increases uniformly.

Bob Landry
03-21-2013, 04:04 AM
Before blocking off a vent, I would call the manufacturer and talk to tech/cust service. They will want to know the number and size of discharge grills and ducts in the system. These furnaces, like air conditioners, rely on a certain cfm of air flow for efficient and safe operation. You want to make sure that restricting air flow isn't going to cause an overheating issue.

cabinfever
03-21-2013, 08:46 AM
The bedroom vent on our 2013 Springdale is the same way. I looked for a deflector that would blow air out of both sides, but havn't found one. I may have to make a "hat" for the vent to deflect the air.

raytronx
03-21-2013, 03:08 PM
My Suburban furnace manual says not to block them.
I only wish I had too much heat in the bedroom, we hardly get any.

Ray

labs4life
03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Since warmer weather is coming :-) I will just wait and do it later after more research.