PDA

View Full Version : Pop-Rivet fenders

Comptech
03-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Has anyone thought of Pop-riveting the fenders on the RV? Mine are screwed on and the white screws seem to barely screw to anything substantial.

Klosequarters
03-20-2013, 11:35 AM
I have been thinking about pop-riveting my fender skirts but have not gotten to that yet. I will be interested to see if anyone sees any negative issues with doing this.

Comptech
03-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Since the fenders are a type of plastic, I would think it would be important for the rivets to be a certain length as not to crack the fenders..

therink
03-20-2013, 02:26 PM
I haven't used rivets on plastic fenders but have used white rivets on the aluminum skirting where machine screws havenothing to hold onto and keep loosening. It serves as a permanent fix.

jergeod
03-20-2013, 05:27 PM
No reason not to pop rivet but I would suggest finding aluminum washers that just fit over the rivet and also use aluminum rivets, put the rivet through slide the washer on the inside then pop the rivet, all the pressure will go to the washer and not the plastic but will have a nice tight finish. :)

planesnut
03-20-2013, 05:40 PM
We use them to hold the bodies together on race cars, so why wouldn't they work on RV's. If you look around at a speed shop, they could hook you up with everything you would need. They come in different colors, diameters and lengths. They can be installed with a hand pop rivet gun that you could get at Harbor Frieght, or if your installing a lot, get a pnuematic one from them. I have used them to attach plexiglass to Aluminum, so plastic shouldn't be a problem. Try to keep your fastener holes round and the right diameter and they will hold for a very long time.

Comptech
03-21-2013, 07:31 AM
No reason not to pop rivet but I would suggest finding aluminum washers that just fit over the rivet and also use aluminum rivets, put the rivet through slide the washer on the inside then pop the rivet, all the pressure will go to the washer and not the plastic but will have a nice tight finish. :)

Great idea !(tx)