PDA

View Full Version : Water pressure regulator

Andymon
03-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Found this on ebay and was wondering if anyone might have any comments about it. Watts seems to get good reviews. Thanks!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321064218600&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123

SAABDOCTOR
03-19-2013, 09:14 AM
I have two watts pressure regulators on my air compressors at work and at home. never had an issue with them so i would think the water regulator would be just as good!

SteveC7010
03-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Watts brass enjoys an excellent reputation in the plumbing industry. That regulator should serve you well for many years to come.

I'm going to suggest that you install it on the faucet end of your hose and make it wrench tight so that it will not be so easy for someone to remove it. At least they'd have to either take the whole hose, or use a wrench, or have a knife to cut the hose. All of which are small deterrents against a crime of opportunity.

Installing it on the faucet end protects the hose as well as the trailer.

Bob Landry
03-19-2013, 11:35 AM
I bought my regulator on line at this site. They have a great selection of pressure regulating and filtration equipment.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com

davidjsimons
03-19-2013, 01:16 PM
That is the same regulator that I have. It works great. The price shown is very good on that unit. I paid around $80 from Grainger, but I needed it that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geo
03-19-2013, 01:28 PM
I bought my regulator on line at this site. They have a great selection of pressure regulating and filtration equipment.

Bob -

Yes, Richard Dahl has some great water items! That's where I purchased not only my adjustable regulator, but also the Reverse Osmosis system for my Alpine (see Mods section) and one for our present fiver. Rich has some great information links also! But I do disagree with Rich on one aspect, I keep our water pressure around 40 psi and not 60 psi. Rich also sells a "short" selection of potable water hose - from 6" to 50'.

Ron

ktmracer
03-19-2013, 05:56 PM

x2 I bought the SS with oil filled guage from them. Great folks to deal with. And it is a REAL pressure regulator that will hold a near constant pressure regardless of the flow rate to your RV.

Ron
03-19-2013, 08:19 PM
As mentions above, Watts is an excellent product, I install watts pressure regulators and back flow preventer's all the time with no issues.....Watts has my vote for sure.......

Andymon
03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Got my regulator today and gotta say, this is a nice quality piece of equipment. Not much in the way of instructions as to how tight the gauge needs to be tightened but if it leaks then I guess it's not tight enough.:)

Found this on ebay and was wondering if anyone might have any comments about it. Watts seems to get good reviews. Thanks!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321064218600&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123

Terry W.
03-21-2013, 04:08 PM
What I did was went to Lowes picked up a household pressure regulator. It was set at 45 psi from the factory, I also checked with a gage. The reason I did that was the regulators sold t camping stores have a 3/8" opening with the household one it's 3/4" opening. Bottom line is you get more volume at same pressure.

rode2nowhere
03-22-2013, 04:30 AM
I just bought the cheapo at walmart, it is non adjustable. I s there any benefit from buying one that is adjustable?

SteveC7010
03-22-2013, 05:36 AM
I just bought the cheapo at walmart, it is non adjustable. I s there any benefit from buying one that is adjustable?

Ideally, you want about 40psi to give enough pressure at the shower and other faucets. Too much more than that and you're looking at possible troubles. Much less than 40psi and flow becomes inadequate in some areas. The problem with a "cheapo" is that you don't know what its actual regulated pressure might be.

With an adjustable, you set it where you want it. If you find you need 45psi instead of 40 to adequately drive the shower, you adjust it.

I've never felt that that the cheapo regulators give me any peace of mind. Better to have a good brass adjustable and not worry.

geo
03-22-2013, 05:41 AM
Steve -
Aren't the "cheaper, non-adjustable ones" more of a flow restrictor rather than a regulator?

Ron

rode2nowhere
03-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Probably is just a restriction, not much to it, guess I will look at getting a better one too. "bouncey:

ktmracer
03-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Steve -
Aren't the "cheaper, non-adjustable ones" more of a flow restrictor rather than a regulator?

Ron

As far as I've determined ALL pressure regulators will limit pressure but also at some flow level will become a flow restrictor as well and you'll also get a further drop in pressure.

The cheap ones use a pretty simple way to regulate pressure and the result is also a limit on flow. And that limit on flow is often at or below the flow rate you want in your trailer, so you'll see an additional pressure drop as the flow restriction comes into play.

Kinda like the difference in performance between a two stage propane or other gas regulator vs. a single stage regulator.

The good ones, such as the Watts regulators ($75ish) do a much better job than the cheap $10 ones. we have a watts high flow rate one, and if I watch the pressure guage over flow range for our Trailer it will only drop a few pounds between no flow and max flow to the trailer. Mostly because the flow rating on the regulator is high, IIRC it is well over 10 gallons/minute.

In reality, IMHO a better term for these is a pressure LIMITER. They will limit pressure to some predetermined maximum, and depending on quality hold that pressure over some range of flow and incoming pressure. the goods ones over a wider incoming pressure range and flow rate.

SteveC7010
03-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Steve -

Ron, ktmracer explained it a lot better than I could.

Sorta reinforces the old "you get what you pay for" adage.

Andymon
03-22-2013, 09:39 AM
I just noticed on the back of the box that my Watts regulator came in the following:

"CONTAINS MORE THAN 0.25% LEAD: It is illegal to use this product in any plumbing system providing water for human consumption in CA, ND and VT and will be illegal in LA after 2012 and everywhere in the United States after 2013."

Interesting. Our drinking water in our TT is bottled water.