PDA

View Full Version : Red Switch on Battery

Christian1228
03-16-2013, 04:46 AM
We just purchased our first trailer it is a 2013 Sprinter 316 BIK. We had our walk thru last week and brought it home last night. I remember them telling me what the Red Switch on the battery was for but, now I cant remember. Is it a disconnect???If so how do you know whether it is on or off there are no marking on it...THANKS!!!

f6bits
03-16-2013, 05:33 AM
That's usually the disconnect. Got a picture?

It'll pretty much shut everything off. I leave mine OFF when storing the trailer so nothing drains the battery. You'll know it's off if you can't turn anything on in your trailer.

jaydeb
03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Did your Passport have a disconnect or did you put it on? If it came on it where is it? I have a 2012 2650bh, I have not seen one on it.

davidcyndi
03-19-2013, 06:19 PM
We just purchased our first trailer it is a 2013 Sprinter 316 BIK. We had our walk thru last week and brought it home last night. I remember them telling me what the Red Switch on the battery was for but, now I cant remember. Is it a disconnect???If so how do you know whether it is on or off there are no marking on it...THANKS!!!

Congrats on the new purchase. We just purchased the 311bhs but wish we would have gotten the 316bik. I have the same turn switch on my battery and wondered the same thing. The walk around guy told us it was the disconnect, but even if you turn it off the power jack still works???? I didn't try anything else in the trailer. So for the time being we have been disconnecting the battery cables. Maybe someone can chime in and set us straight. Again congrats on the awesome trailer.

davidcyndi
03-19-2013, 06:22 PM
oh also, you really have to get your head back behind there to see it but when you turn the dial you will see one part is green and turn it the other way and its red. green=on, red=off.

crash
03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Our Raptor has one ,but its like a tuning key type that when you turn it off you can remove it and it just hangs there so you know its off.( I dont know if this is the same type switch that you are talking about though?)

davidcyndi
03-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Our Raptor has one ,but its like a tuning key type that when you turn it off you can remove it and it just hangs there so you know its off.( I dont know if this is the same type switch that you are talking about though?)

Does the dial thing you turn look like the dial on your stove or bbq grill? If so I never tried to pull it out like you say.

crash
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
No not really,its like a 1/2 key looking thing like an old skeliton key type thing

davidcyndi
03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Ok gotcha. Its just weird that I turn the dail to off but the electric jack still works. Maybe the jack gets a bypass dirct to the batt since when you turn everything off but still need to use the jack.?. Dunno. I hate to call and ask the salesman since most times he doesnt know anything but how to sell.

Bob Landry
03-20-2013, 01:20 PM
The battery disconnect switch is either the key or knob type. if it is the knob type, if you are facing the switch, turning the switch knob to the right turns on the battery, to the left disconnects it.

The power jack is going to be wired directly to the battery and is protected by it's own circuit breaker. The breakaway switch is also wired directly so that you still have trailer brakes in the event you are towing with the battery disconnected and the trailer breaks loose.

davidcyndi
03-20-2013, 02:40 PM
The battery disconnect switch is either the key or knob type. if it is the knob type, if you are facing the switch, turning the switch knob to the right turns on the battery, to the left disconnects it.

The power jack is going to be wired directly to the battery and is protected by it's own circuit breaker. The breakaway switch is also wired directly so that you still have trailer brakes in the event you are towing with the battery disconnected and the trailer breaks loose.

Thank you Bob!!! (tx)
Much appreciated.

Stevereno
04-01-2013, 12:47 PM
In our walk around, we were advised to leave our battery switch in the On position while our TT is in storage IF power is available so that the batteries stay "topped off" by trickle charge current from the batter charger. We will have power available in our permanent storage location so I am planning to leave it On as suggested.

davidcyndi
04-01-2013, 01:02 PM
In our walk around, we were advised to leave our battery switch in the On position while our TT is in storage IF power is available so that the batteries stay "topped off" by trickle charge current from the batter charger. We will have power available in our permanent storage location so I am planning to leave it On as suggested.

Yep that's what I heard and that's what we do.

chris7913
10-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. We just purchased the 311bhs but wish we would have gotten the 316bik. I have the same turn switch on my battery and wondered the same thing. The walk around guy told us it was the disconnect, but even if you turn it off the power jack still works???? I didn't try anything else in the trailer. So for the time being we have been disconnecting the battery cables. Maybe someone can chime in and set us straight. Again congrats on the awesome trailer.

I have a 2013 Sprinter 320bhs and have the same setup. The positive goes to 2 50 amp relays before the disconnect and powers the tongue jack, breakaway switch and trailer brakes. its a safety feature in case you forget to turn the switch back on after you pull your trailer out of storage

billb800si
10-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Battery switch to the "OFF" position means you've disconnected power to your RV's "electronics" sections (frig- radio-etc...).
Power to the slides & stabilizers are not effected by the battery switch.
If you don't turn the switch "off " when storing the RV then there is a small power drain to the battery & it will eventually completely discharge.

JRTJH
10-14-2013, 12:39 PM
The only way to effectively remove all power to the RV is to either remove the battery (batteries) from the circuit by disconnecting them or to install a second battery cutoff switch in either the negative or the positive side of the battery wiring BEFORE it enters the RV power distribution system. In other words, in the wire which is directly connected to either the positive or the negative battery terminal.

GACamper
10-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Newbie Question:

I'm looking at purchasing the 316BIK. How safe is it to store the TT, with electric supplied, with the switch on the "ON" position for extended periods of time (I'm talking 4 to 6 months on end)? Will I have to worry about overcharging the battery or destroying the battery's usefulness?

Thanks, and sorry for my nube-ness.

Doug

Festus2
10-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Doug -
The RV's converter will supply a "trickle-type" or "float" charge to the batteries. If you ensure that there is sufficient water in the batteries while they are sitting but being charged, you'll be ok. I wouldn't leave them unattended for 4-6 months without checking the fluid levels at least once a month.