PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Tags

rhminva
03-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Here is a question for those of you in Virginia. I recently picked up a RAM 2500. It was a private party transaction, so I had to take care of the titling and registration at the DMV (3 hour ordeal ).

My question is, why do I have to have special "Truck" plates? I was told by the attendant that due to the weight of the vehicle it had to have the specific truck tags. I also would be taxed extra because of the weight. Since leaving the DMV I have noticed multiple F250, 350's, and Chevy 2500 with regular tags.

Does anyone have idea what the Virginia DMV rules are? I wonder if this is something unique to my county (Loudoun) or if I just got an attendant who interpreted the rules differently....

rhminva
03-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Ok, after a bit of searching, I've answered my own question. When titling and registering the vehicle, if the GVWR is over 7,500 lbs, you get truck plates and do not get the car tax relief. It is basically up the the attendant at the DMV to enter in the weight. The previous out of stat title had my GVWR at 9,000 lbs, hence the truck plates.

Kinda stinks as now I'm forced to pay more property tax! Alot of people just claim ingnorance and the DMV clerk puts in something below 7,500 lbs and they get regular plates.

hankpage
03-14-2013, 07:50 AM
It seems that DMV agencies in most (if not all) states are totally confused when it comes to light trucks and RVs.
In New Jersey all pick ups are required to pay the commercial fee based on weight. Here's the kicker ..... you tell them the weight. If you register a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for it's GVW of 9000 + lbs. you pay a higher rate and are restricted from using many local roads and bridges with 4 ton registered weight limits and overnight parking may be restricted in some communities. Register them for 7950 which is over their curb weight and you can go anywhere. Even though the tags are identical you cannot transfer them from a car to a truck or visa-versa. They are considered "Passenger plates at the commercial fee" and can only be used on a truck??? :confused:
Then again these rules are seldom enforced because police cannot get a definite explanation of the rules either.
:soapbox: So after all that ...... Don't feel like you are alone in Virgina ... We are all in the same boat. (not sure if it is the Titanic or the Lusitania) http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1715

SAABDOCTOR
03-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Yep Hank just as crazy here in Connecticut. the boat sank!!:eek:

cabinfever
03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
You may save some money at registration at 7500lbs, but keep in mind you would be limited to that weight (legally). I'm guessing with the weight of your RAM 2500 and tongue weight of TT alone you would be very close to 7500lbs without passengers and any gear in the bed of the truck. May cost more, but I'd rather be legal.

hankpage
03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
You may save some money at registration at 7500lbs, but keep in mind you would be limited to that weight (legally). I'm guessing with the weight of your RAM 2500 and tongue weight of TT alone you would be very close to 7500lbs without passengers and any gear in the bed of the truck. May cost more, but I'd rather be legal.
The Ram is 7400 with just me BUT.....
If you look at combined weight it is legal. The trailer is registered for 16,000 with only a $2 extra cost.
I keep hearing this term "Legal Weight". Where is it required for non-commercial vehicles to enter scales and if they are wouldn't they be rolling scales and not asked to show registration????? I also have never heard of an insurance company denying claims on registered weight. Maybe "My uncle's cousin's brother-in-law", but never first hand. The insurance company insures the tow vehicle by year and model and the trailer by the same and manufacturers gross weights must be exceeded before there is any negligence on your part........................

Sorry for the rant but as you can tell this is one of my pet peeves. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1112

SlowPoke
03-14-2013, 01:48 PM
I'd like to see the day, when you can get PERSONALIZED permanent trailer tags...

My wife insists on her personal plates on the truck. I'd like to personalize the TT for my own!

(No comments from the peanut gallery about my wife insisting on her pref with the truck...YOU MARRY HER... lol)

davidjsimons
03-14-2013, 03:53 PM
You already can. I had a set on my old race trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SlowPoke
03-14-2013, 04:32 PM
You already can. I had a set on my old race trailer.

Whuh-say-whaat? That lady at DMV said they didn't have a personal option for them!!!??

Looks like I'm making a trip to a different DMV very soon....

davidjsimons
03-14-2013, 04:36 PM
They also have personalized permanent truck tags.

JRTJH
03-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Every time we visit Manassas (My wife used to work there) with all the personalized tags on VA cars, trucks, busses, etc, we spend most of our time at stop lights, and in line at parking lots, etc trying to figure out some of the more "unique" ones. I'd be suprised if you couldn't get personalized tags for rollerskates... It's a money maker for the DMV, that's for sure LOL

davidjsimons
03-15-2013, 01:48 AM
If you must have something as ugly as a license plate on a vehicle, you may as well make it your own.

jsmith948
03-15-2013, 05:02 AM
If you must have something as ugly as a license plate on a vehicle, you may as well make it your own.

You Know, I have to agree..............However, speaking of pet peeve's, I do not understand the purpose of composing a vanity plate that makes no sense and cannot be read by anyone other than the owners of the plates. I mean; what is the point???
As far as the cost of tags, just be happy you aren't in good ol' sunny Cal. By the time you add up the registration, weight fees $760 for the first year on our F250:eek:

Ken / Claudia
03-16-2013, 09:25 AM
In Oregon they came up with a salmom plate first to get money to help the salmom. 5 years later I read that all the extra plate money went to the general fund. None for fish. The RV plates do get money for the state parks, which is good.

davidjsimons
03-16-2013, 12:38 PM
You Know, I have to agree..............However, speaking of pet peeve's, I do not understand the purpose of composing a vanity plate that makes no sense and cannot be read by anyone other than the owners of the plates. I mean; what is the point???
As far as the cost of tags, just be happy you aren't in good ol' sunny Cal. By the time you add up the registration, weight fees $760 for the first year on our F250:eek:

State law: if it takes longer than five seconds to figure it out, you can't have it.

JRTJH
03-16-2013, 01:26 PM
State law: if it takes longer than five seconds to figure it out, you can't have it.

Then the rate of "outlaws" with vanity plates in the Manassas area is about 50% or higher. Some of them are impossible to figure out. May just be that they're in a foreign language or some "in cult" that I'm out of ??? Anyway, they do present a good way to wait for lights to change since talking on cell phones isn't allowed any more. :p

wrighfr58
03-17-2013, 04:20 AM
Rhminva

Don't forget to get your TT inspected too! I went through all the same issues as you with the weight. It's quite a bill from Loudoun Co.

Thanks