PDA

View Full Version : Brought our new rig home today

ScottH
03-13-2013, 07:20 PM
I was a bit nervous about getting this thing in our driveway. I'll post a pic, but what you can't see is that I'm standing on the curb (20' wide road) to my cul-de-sac taking the picture, so there was a double-corner to get it backed in.

Nonetheless, got it in, first try, with a good inch to spare between the trailer and the gutter on the house (I have perhaps a foot behind I can use too, but wanted the space so I could get back there).

The only issue was a little porpoising on the segmented highway, and I forgot to double-check the body heights after it was all hooked up. I suppose it's better to do that later, when loaded, anyway.

Speaking of weight distribution: I have a Reese cam-based WD hitch. The instructions suggest at least 5 chain links on the adjustment, but if it's not tight enough is it safe to run with 4? It seems the only alternative is to detach the hitch-ball assembly and give it more tilt.

First run will be a weekender on Friday :-)

http://www.SoftwareForMe.com/trailer.jpg

Cheers!
Scott, Bonnie and Andrew

GaryWT
03-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Looks good, congrats.

pedalsteelpicker
03-13-2013, 09:08 PM
congrats,that sure is a tight fit.I thought my Alpine was tight in my drive between my garage and wood shed but I can put all my slides out with about 6" on each side,my only problem is I have to back it in from the road and my road is moderatly busy but I'm an ex-trucker so backing isnt an issue for me just the traffic I have to stop for about a minute.I actually have markers on my drive way so I know exactly where my tires need to be so I know that I have room to open the slides before I drop the trailer.

ScottH
03-13-2013, 11:13 PM
That's a great idea about the markers. I have no trouble backing, and noticed today I was looking at the seams between the 3 sections of my driveway for guidance. Simple painted or scratched marks would be better!

TAZ23
03-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Wow, That sure is a tight fit. I am not sure of the reese hitch but mine says you need five links to allow the bars to have enough room to work properly without binding when turning or going up or down short rises (like entering gas stations from streets). If the dealer set it up it is always a good idea to recheck the set up per the instructions. Many dealers do not set the hitches up right and some tweaking is required to get the proper weight distribution, which will also give you a better and more comfortable ride.

chris199
03-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Nice rig....and truck! Tow our 29REV with. Tundra also. If you are interested in swapping out your mirrors for Toyota tow mirrors....let me know. Can give you contact info for Sparks Toyota and part numbers u can start with. I have the base model and even it was wired so the tow mirrors worked...heat, power, and side signals.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

audio1der
03-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Nice rig!
This thread http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9341
with the included link really helped me with the confidence to set up the Reese DCSW. Based on that, I would suggest adding tilt to your hitch head to get at LEAST 5 links of chain on those trunion bars.
Reese suggests 300lb/ft of torque on the hitch head bolts, or 150 lb/ft plus 1/4 turn.

Hope this helps!

fla-gypsy
03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
You can possibly gain a link by tilting the ball mount back some.

ThePressureIsOn
03-15-2013, 08:12 AM
I'm so jealous, first time backing in! Damn that's close! Looks great in the driveway, better in the campground. Enjoy!

crash
03-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Congrads.Thats one tight fit there.I have to blind side back my 42ft in my drive way and it is a busy cut thru road always that one a** that cant wait and will try going around you :banghead:NO respect at all.Happy camping .:USA::party:

lightning79
03-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Very nice trailer! What's the weight of it?