PDA

View Full Version : F250 vs. F350

T11ravis
03-13-2013, 07:03 AM
I have a '05 F250 6.0 CC.
Just checked the '05 specs as I was curious what I would gain if I went up to a 350 DRW. The increase in GVWR and payload is nice but there really wouldn't be any change in available GCWR as the small increase will be offset by the increased weight of the truck.

Is this correct?

Guess I was expecting more of a difference... :confused:

Javi
03-13-2013, 08:58 AM
GCWR is about power... both stopping and pulling. There is little difference in those between the SRW and DRW if you consider the same engine and gear ratio... then the only difference would be in the size of the brakes if any...

The real difference between the two trucks is in payload... how much weight you can load on the truck... there the DRW has the edge by a big margin... hence the DRW will effectively pull a larger trailer than will the SRW regardless of GCWR... not to mention that the wider stance of the DRW is more stable under load.

SAABDOCTOR
03-13-2013, 09:50 AM
HI I agree with every thing javi said and will add that with the drw your ride will be more stabil in a good cross wind. just my 2cents worth:)

fla-gypsy
03-13-2013, 02:27 PM
It is all about payload which is a huge factor when making a decision on a camper to operate safely.

Ken / Claudia
03-13-2013, 07:51 PM
I checked fords 2 times, in 96 and 01. Their spec sheets shown at that time the 250, 350 350 drw all had same brakes, axles, engines etc. Difference was tire ply 8 vs 10 and springs. I thought before checking that the 12500GVWR dually would have bigger brakes that a 8800 GVWR 250 but, that was not than. Today I do not know. I even had a co worker who had a 94 f250 got a dually rear end with wheels, springs from a wrecking yard and than bolted on with the wide ford fenders. I don't recall if he added any front springs. He had a camper and pulled a horse trailer with the truck.

NMRVer
03-30-2013, 10:12 PM
I have a '05 F250 6.0 CC.
Just checked the '05 specs as I was curious what I would gain if I went up to a 350 DRW. The increase in GVWR and payload is nice but there really wouldn't be any change in available GCWR as the small increase will be offset by the increased weight of the truck.

Is this correct?

Guess I was expecting more of a difference... :confused:

This is my problem. My F250 has rear air bags and doesn't sag with the 5er hook up. I'm confused on what to do. My truck is paid for and I can't afford $800/month on a new one. What to do, what to do?:banghead:

dave-g
03-31-2013, 03:06 AM
its all about payload- pull your truck on a scale and see what you weigh. I have a 250 srw and when loaded- I'm very close- to being over weight. If you weigh your truck- you might find that you are getting close to the max weight on your tires.

Ken / Claudia
03-31-2013, 10:13 AM
NNrver, see my post #5? If you can turn a wrench it might take a day. I replaced a complete rear end in a chev 1/2 ton after I burned up the wheel bearings pulling a camper in a days work. That was about 30 years ago.
Another thing you can do is getting 19.5" wheels and tires cost about 3 to 5000. They carry alot more wt. and are 12 ply tires. Folks with 12 ft in bed truck campers and SRW 1 tons do that here. You could get aftemarket overload springs.

smiller
03-31-2013, 01:32 PM
This is my problem. My F250 has rear air bags and doesn't sag with the 5er hook up. I'm confused on what to do. My truck is paid for and I can't afford $800/month on a new one. What to do, what to do?:banghead:
First find out if you even have a problem. Get a weight on your loaded rig and see if you're overweight. Biggest concern would be the rear axle load, but if that's OK then in all likelihood you're fine.

Bob Landry
03-31-2013, 01:39 PM
I looked at both the 250 and 350 when I was truck shopping. Given the same drive train with a SRW, I couldn't fine enough difference to cover the increased cost, other than the payload. If I were to go with a 350, I would definitely go with the DRW, even if it were a gasser. I would have to towing with greater frequency than I am now to justify the upfront and maintenance cost plus the additional cost of fuel. If I had deep pockets and could afford a dedicated TV, then it might be different, but.....

SteveC7010
03-31-2013, 02:46 PM
I looked at both the 250 and 350 when I was truck shopping. Given the same drive train with a SRW, I couldn't fine enough difference to cover the increased cost, other than the payload. If I were to go with a 350, I would definitely go with the DRW, even if it were a gasser. I would have to towing with greater frequency than I am now to justify the upfront and maintenance cost plus the additional cost of fuel. If I had deep pockets and could afford a dedicated TV, then it might be different, but.....
When we were hunting for the Super Duty last fall, it was end of model year and they had to call all over the Northeast to find a SRW truck that met my requirements. One of them was if I bought a F250, I wanted the 10,000# GVWR option. Basically, that option on a 250 makes it the equal of a F350 for all practical purposes. The salesman agreed with that assessment. That broadened our opportunities to find a truck that had the rest of my required features.

A dually would be nice given the trailer that we have, but just like you, I am not in position to have a dedicated tow vehicle. We had the '02 Dodge dually and it was no fun as a daily driver at all. The SRW F250 SuperCab short bed really works well for us under all conditions.