PDA

View Full Version : Tonneau cover

Ken / Claudia
03-09-2013, 05:37 PM
I am going to get a cover of some kind for my F350, I have a cab high canopy on another truck and like them but, in this truck I use the bed to get gravel, bark chips etc. I have looked at the tri-fold soft covers. Anybody use them and would buy one again, any to stay away from. Have you noticed if they lift up or bounce while traveling along the edges (like air getting under them) Thanks

SlowPoke
03-09-2013, 06:03 PM
I have one of the Rugged Cover Tonneau covers on my Silverado. It's been great! I've had many compliments on the quality of it, and it was so easy to install, take off, re-install...you get the idea.... The exact one I have is Rugged Liner Tonneau Tri-fold Cover (http://www.ruggedliner.com/product-rugged-cover.php).

The only issue I had, was the front clamps were hard to use (as they were the turn knob) so I called the manufacturer and they gladly sent me two of the quick release latches like were on the back. They gave me no issues in sending them out, and recieved them next day with all the pieces to put them on correctly. The newer model now has the latches standard. In case you're wondering I also installed a BedRug instead of the "spray-on" liner or drop in liner. I just liked the carpet for some reason, and lay a heavy duty rubber mat made for the bed on it to keep my heavy stuff from damaging anything. It cleans up with a jiffy from mulch, gravel, whatever. Just use a pressure washer and it comes clean as new!

My cover doesn't "Bounce" at all, you do see the soft cover rippling a touch with the wind turbulence but very little and it's not hurting it all it well supported with arched bars underneath.

I love my truck!!!

f6bits
03-09-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm using the Extang Trifecta. Very stable and keeps the water out. No lifting at all. All I see is the vinyl being pushed down a little at freeway speed so you see the frame cross members. I got a good deal on it through Amazon's Warehouse Deals. Someone bought it and I guess didn't like it and sent it right back, so it really wasn't even used.

TAZ23
03-10-2013, 02:18 AM
I use a Lund Tri Fold cover. One person can put it on and take it off in about 2 min.(it weighs about 15 lbs.) It is held on by four cam lock clamps and can be Left in the folded open position or removed for larger cargo. This is my second one. I had the first one for six years on my '06 Silverado and it still looked like new when I traded in the truck last year for a 2012 Silverado Which has a different size box. I never had any water or snow get in the bed when using the cover. It cleans up well with soap and water. At highway speeds you will notice some downword pressure from the wind over the cab but you have to be looking for it to see it.

davidcyndi
03-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Just got a Bakflip g2 cover on the f250. Love it so far. No noise or vibrations and is water tight. Install was soooo easy. No drilling at all. Check you tube for backflip g2 install videos. Took my wife and I 30 minutes to install and we are dummies when it comes to stuff like that. I believe you can flip/fold it 4 or 5 times and eventually have full bed access. Plus it looks very nice. It is flush so you don't see it when looking from the side. Will hold 300lbs on top of it. And its very lite. Think the box it comes in only weighed 40lbs. just check it out. we paid 641 from amazon.

JRTJH
03-10-2013, 06:29 AM
We bought a Tonno Pro tri-fold cover a couple of days after we bought the F150. It's going on 3.5 years old and has been through 3 Michigan winters without a problem. Installation was straight forward, assemble the clamps front and rear, lay it across the front of the bed, tighten the front clamps, unfold, tighten rear clamps and close the tailgate. It took probalby 15 minutes the first time because I was trying to listen to my "helper" who overthinks almost everything.

It cost about $269 now, was on sale when we bought it for $199 shipped with a free tailgate seal.

We've been through high pressure car washes and never a leak into the bed. It indents over the crossbars at high speed, but doesn't lift or make any noise. We tow the fifth wheel with the cover in place and folded behind the cab. There is about 6 or 7 inches clearance from the hitch to the cover, and when folded there's snaphook plastic fasteners to hold it in place.

It was the least expensive cover I could find when we bought and so far I've been really suprised how well it's held up and performs. They have some kind of warranty disclaimer about vinyl not being covered unless you use their cleaner, but I've just run mine through the carwash or washed it at home with dawn or armorall carwash soap and wiped it down with 303 and it still looks new.

Here's the link to see current availability and pricing: http://www.realtruck.com/tonnopro-tri-fold-tonneau-cover/R182918P2002Y743MA.html

Jables
03-10-2013, 10:27 AM
I use the extang soft cover. Works great. It doesn't keep dust out on long dusty logging roads though. That's my only complaint.

Bob Landry
03-10-2013, 11:23 AM
I would consider spending a little more and looking at one of the retractable covers. The two that come to mind are Roll N Lock and Retrax. The covers retract and roll into a canister when not being used. I just ordered a Retrax online for $1099. I'v had hard lift covers for the last 15 years and finally got tired of the limitation they place on you as far as being able to use the truck as a truck.

Ken / Claudia
03-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the information, I will likely replace the truck in 2 or 3 years so, thought about the soft covers. If that type of cover works out good for me than the next truck might get a hard style folder or roll up. I will be checking the web sites again this week. I looked around them last week and could not believe how many makers and styles there are.

rrohrer
03-10-2013, 04:09 PM
extang trifecta(soft). works good for the money. easy to use/put on/put off. I would have loved the trifecta hard tonneua, but it was like 300 dollars more. i had this style cover on two trucks- ie bought a second one when i got a new truck. so that says something!

TruckGuy616
03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I have a Fold-a-Cover (http://www.foldacover.com) on my Ram 2500. It is great at keeping my bed dry and I don't need to remove it to haul my fifth wheel. However, I have had to remove it to haul some really large items, but it only took 3 minutes and 4 bolts to remove it and even less time to put it back on once I knew how to do it.

C130
03-13-2013, 08:48 AM
I have the backflip also in my 2011 F250 and like it and would buy same one again. I can still haul stuff including dirt bikes, covers my 5th wheel hitch and folds out of the way when towing. Folded up against the back window for towing does take up 3-4 inches between the back window and hitch when turned. I have the Superglude hitch so not as much if an issue but without a slider it would be an issue for sure in a short bed. Good news I guess is I will hit the cover before the cab.