PDA

View Full Version : Spring Fever

Lost
03-09-2013, 03:34 AM
We have had our 5th wheel covered since last Oct and are dieing to open it up, learn how everything works and get it ready for our first trip in May. My question is if we open it up now and we get a heavy snow fall which is very possible in Michigan will that weight break the slide outs? I realize that if we know it's going to snow or freezing rain I'll close them but sometimes we just don't know here.

rode2nowhere
03-09-2013, 03:37 AM
Why can't you run the slides back in if snow comes back your way?

GaryM
03-09-2013, 04:11 AM
We purchased our, new to us, motor home last February and on 'nice days' we opend everything up fired up the heater and started our updates and changes. I would turn on the tv or music as the Bride and I cleaned and crossed things off of our to do or need to learn list.

Our neighbors came over, a very young couple, and asked my Bride if this was my dog house, and if so could she send her husband over when he needed punishment.

I said sure, we can stock the fridge, turn on the game and not hear any interuptions. The men laughed, the ladies rolled their eyes. He hasn't been sent over to the sin bin yet.

So, long story short, if it's nice out why not do what you have to do. Not sure about the slides and the cover and I wouldn't want to take our cover off and on more than I need to.

tdawg
03-09-2013, 05:28 AM
I don't think the slides would break but why take a chance. I just don't like having heavy snow that can push against the slide out seals. I have had my share of self induced brain farts i guess they call that experience.

Camp I am
03-09-2013, 07:03 AM
I have a lot of things to do in ours but will leave it covered for a couple more weeks. We do a anual trip every Easter to a state park but I'm not so sure we'll make it this year unless the weather improves quickly. Just roll the slides back in when your done and no worries on the snow then.

Happy camping.

SAD
03-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Since mine is stored indoors... I think I'll make the wife "shop camp" with me tonight :)

michael
03-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Why not open it then when your done for the day or night close it back up. ?

Lost
03-09-2013, 02:55 PM
I looked at it today and we still have a foot of snow on it... I think a couple more weeks might be wise to wait.:banghead: Back to watching fishing show's for a week or so ....lol

SAD
03-09-2013, 03:17 PM
I looked at it today and we still have a foot of snow on it... I think a couple more weeks might be wise to wait.:banghead: Back to watching fishing show's for a week or so ....lol

I hear comment like the above and wonder why people choose to live where they live!

My inlaws included - in buffalo. :rolleyes:

mikell
03-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Snow won't hurt ours have been put for 3 winters and had a foot on them last week again.

michael
03-09-2013, 04:16 PM
If i lived in a year round warm climate i would miss the snow. I do like the four seasones, and its nice to know we can just pack up the rv and find any weather.

rhagfo
03-10-2013, 08:30 AM
If i lived in a year round warm climate i would miss the snow. I do like the four seasones, and its nice to know we can just pack up the rv and find any weather.

Well in the NW we still have 4 seasons, just not as hard as those of you in the Lakes region or NE.
I winterize on an as needed basis, like to keep the 5er ready for a weekend on the coast at any time. We went out on Presidents weekend, and had to take our third choice of parks, as the first two all the RV spots were already reserved!
We do get some real winter here, although the last couple years has been somewhat mild. We are crazy enough to not let a little snow stop us from going out.
I really get a sad feeling for those of you that need to pack away for winter, we have had some of our best trips in the winter.

This is the trip home from a nice four day stay at the coast in 2011.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_67284_0_19e5609f584a011f533928a10c99c090.jpg

michael
03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Thats a nice pic. The sun and sand beaches must be a mile or two down the road :D

5mary6
03-11-2013, 01:18 PM
I get so sad reading all of these stories about having to cover or store their 5ers for the winter. There are many things we hate about living in California, however, since our world revolves around work and camping, we love it for that. We mostly camp on the coast so winter in California brings 75 degree weather to the coast, so we really do not have bad camping weather. We never have to winterize our campers either. I wish everyone the best when bringing your 5ers outa the winter months. Let's go camping!!!!!!"bouncey:

rhagfo
03-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Thats a nice pic. The sun and sand beaches must be a mile or two down the road :D

At this point they were about 30 miles behind us, it got up to between 45 and 50 a couple of the days, and rained like crazy one day. Note the date of the pic, early January, we were on the coast the 1st this year.

Jables
03-12-2013, 12:11 AM
Gotta love the west coast. The snow is only half an hour away. Sometimes in July we can go hiking, sledding and swimming all in the same day.

fla-gypsy
03-12-2013, 05:57 AM
We have 4 seasons down here in the deep south. They are Spring, Summer, Hotter than Hades, and Fall.

JRTJH
03-12-2013, 06:25 AM
We have 4 seasons down here in the deep south. They are Spring, Summer, Hotter than Hades, and Fall.

We have 4 seasons here in northern Michigan too. Fishing, Hunting, Bad snowmobiling and Good snowmobiling..... LOL (some of the older folks here call the last two seasons snow shovelling and snow plowing)

COME ON SPRING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

mikell
03-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Yes 30 and snow again today but this afternoon we pick up our new class C. Not getting rid of the Alpine just need to be more mobile

5mary6
03-12-2013, 09:31 AM
We leave on Thursday and return on Monday. Heading to Doran Beach, Bodega Bay, CA. Weather forcasted for 70 degrees!!!!!

SkiSmuggs
03-14-2013, 10:37 AM
We moved to Vermont from Virginia several years ago to escape the hot, humid summers and discovered we have summer (2 or 3 weeks in July), leaf peeping, stick season, ski season, mud season.
We are planning a trip in late April and may have to shovel snow to get the fiver out to its summer parking spot to de-winterize and load up. It is only the plowed up banks that are a problem and we will probably move to a different winter storage spot next winter.

Htfiremedic
03-14-2013, 02:58 PM

In upstate sc, we get the same... Just add a snow that lasts for a few hours and melts within the same day.
Love it!

Lost
03-16-2013, 04:48 AM
Woke up today with another 5" of snow we got overnight :banghead: At this rate maybe by Aug it will be gone ...lol

mr.windows1
03-16-2013, 05:39 AM
I feel your pain we got 3 over night and suppose to get a pile on Sunday night and Monday last year it was 80 here and we took the new 5er out for her maiden voyage what a difference a year makes! Hopefully it warms up soon until then just keep dreaming of camping!

Htfiremedic
03-16-2013, 06:05 AM
High here in DC today is forecast to be 76. I'm at work or I'd be in a sight camping and fishing in the AM

davidjsimons
03-16-2013, 06:17 AM
High here in DC today is forecast to be 76. I'm at work or I'd be in a sight camping and fishing in the AM

I think you meant SC. Today, the only thing 76 in DC is the percentage chance of rain, at 48 degrees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk