Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > jlouis24's Profile > Albums
Click Here to Login

New Member First Time RV Experience
So, I thought my first trip out would be a piece of cake with very few hiccups. Boy was I wrong on all fronts and it was a very humbling experience. I realized how much I did not know from the very beginning.
I arrived with the wife early to hook up the 2 batteries and “surprise” no power. I checked everything, changed fuses nothing worked. Sigh, now how am I going to get this attached and the stabilizer up with no power. It took me 30 minutes to figure out how to manually crank it up and get it attached. Ok so now we are on the road and I will get to problem #2 in a sec. We also removed the sway bars and forgot to put the emergency brake clamp back on. We drove 100 miles from Rochester to Syracuse like that and when I stopped at the Camping World service desk they gave me an earful. They replaced the fuses behind the panel. What fuses behind the panel? They removed the panel to show me (feeling like an idiot now).
What else could go wrong, just wait we were scheduled to be at Cayuga State Park except we drove 25 miles past it as the signs were removed due to asphalt resurfacing. My Google Map was completely lost. We turned around and drove back until I heard a beep. Crap we are on E-low gas. I was so focused on getting to my destination I forgot to re-fill the tank. We made it to the gas station on fumes.
Now things are looking upbeat, we check in at the desk and go to the pull-in campsite 816. Not an issue as I called ahead to make sure it was ok due to all the rain a couple days before. Well, that was a mistake, I pulled around went 30 feet and sunk in the mud. Truck is going sideways with the 32 ft trailer sinking just as fast. I immediately called Good Sam and AAA to see who could get there first. AAA would be there in 15 mins. He wrenched us out sideways in neutral and then we found out it was his 3rd response to that campsite in 5 hours for the same issue.
We went back to the desk and told them what happened, he said go find another site and here is the ones that are taken. Seriously, we have to scavenger hunt for a dry site!!! We finally found something level but I refused to pull in as I saw the previous tire marks from someone else stuck in the mud. I pulled off to the side and parked on the edge of the grass and asphalt. I did not extend the slider we camped as is.
Moral of the story, you don’t know what you don’t know and Murphy’s Law does exist.
I included pictures so you could see how deep that mud was on the vehicle.
IMG 6191
IMG 6192
IMG 6197
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.