Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > lunge motorsport's Profile > Albums > axle and brake conversion
Click Here to Login

Picture 9 of 19 from Album axle and brake conversion
Just rolled the new wheels/tires into the wheel wells for fitment check. The trailer came with 225/75 15 D range trailer tires on 15x6'' 6 lug wheels. Trailer now wears 245/75 17'' E range shoes on 17x9'' 8 lug wheels. Wheel studs are heavy 9/16''. No axles yet, dimensions for new axles were taken that day.
I knew I would be adding about 1k lbs to the rear of the trailer with this and the bumper modification so I moved the axles 1.375'' rearward and closer together by about 1.5''. The spread is just enough to allow the jacking tool to fit between the wheels at any suspension compression angle and also helps reduce the scrubbing action of the tires when backing into tight spots.
The trailer stability has increased dramatically and the towing/tracking manners improved as well. No bounce or wandering anymore and brakes that just work.
Just rolled the new wheels/tires into the wheel wells for fitment check. The trailer came with 225/75 15 D range trailer tires on 15x6'' 6 lug wheels. Trailer now wears 245/75 17'' E range shoes on 17x9'' 8 lug wheels. Wheel studs are heavy 9/16''. No axles yet, dimensions for new axles were taken that day.
I knew I would be adding about 1k lbs to the rear of the trailer with this and the bumper modification so I moved the axles 1.375'' rearward and closer together by about 1.5''. The spread is just enough to allow the jacking tool to fit between the wheels at any suspension compression angle and also helps reduce the scrubbing action of the tires when backing into tight spots.
The trailer stability has increased dramatically and the towing/tracking manners improved as well. No bounce or wandering anymore and brakes that just work.
Picture Added 05-06-2018 12:39 PM
Added by lunge motorsport
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.