Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
johnnyrose
Member
 
johnnyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cameron, NC
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Johnny,

Steve (and myself to a certain extent) have answered questions multiple times in the same (and different) forums. I've seen Steve take the time to look up a website with a picture of what was in question to more fully make his answer understandable. He has the patience of a "saint" at times.... If you reread what he just said here in response to the discussion, you'll see that he starts his reply with: "This thread is about the only place that I am willing to say this:" then he goes on to explain his point. He does take time to answer questions in threads, sometimes the same quesiton in 2 or 3 threads in the same week. If I can defend him for a moment, it's not that he doesn't want to answer the question, rather it's that he's already answered it yesterday, the day before and last week...... Sure it gets frustrating at times, but if you'll look at Steve's demonstrated record of responses,,, He keeps answering "over and over again" even though as he said, he vented in "this thread only"

Look for his next response to a "noobie's" question, I'll betcha it will have the same level of patience and thoughtful response as the last time he answered that same question.....

Just sayin' .....
JRTJH,

I agree 100% with you. I think Steve is a great guy and I have enjoyed more than one of his excellently executed responses to many a question here on the forum. That only makes me feel worse about asking questions here. I can now see the eyes rolling on the veterans while answering what they feel is a simple question. Well, it's not a simple question to me. All I am saying is that there isn't really a need to stop and say what a stupid question, or what a redundant question it is, when all you really have to do is say it to yourself at your computer and move on to the next redundant question. Why take the time out of your busy day to stop and tell someone what a terrible and redundant question they have asked? It just seems like a waste of time for people who are obviously very well read and smart on the subject of RV's as well as very eager to help their fellow RVers. It is a step in the wrong direction is all and makes everyone look bad. Steve I meant no disrespect to you. Your posts have helped me more than once already and I have only been on here for a few weeks. I just think that we would all be better served by skipping the posts that irk us and move on to ones that we can affect positively. Can we all agree on that at least?
__________________

__________________

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
f6bits
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,739
I can see Steve’s point. Too often, people aren’t willing to put in the slightest bit of effort before asking a question.

When I have a question, I first try Google, then the search here. Searching can be tricky if you can’t easily describe the issue. I think that towing capabilities are tricky to figure out and I don’t mind people asking them if they at least make an effort to describe their vehicle. That’s why I think it’d help if there was a sticky on the topic.

Wandering down memory lane when I worked at Trak Auto (parts store), people would come in needing spark plugs. “What size engine?” I'd ask. “I think it’s a V8.” That happened on a weekly basis.

Here’s an article that’s great for techies, but applies here as well:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
__________________

__________________
-Scott, DW, DG, DB, and DD

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 12,432
I think a part of the "situation" (I wouldn't call it a problem) is that quite a few folks ("noobies") aren't really that familiar with the forum layout, some don't even know there is a search feature. They find this place through a Google search and when they click on it, they start reading the newest posts and realize people ask questions and other people answer them. The "noobie" has quesitons, so he/she tries to ask one and finds that they can't unless they "join the free forum" They think, OK, type in a few blocks, pick a password and "VOILA" they ask their question. Someone answers, the "NOOBIE" is happy. Along comes "NOOBIE #2" same scenario, same question, same answer...... Along comes "NOOBIE #3" same scenario, same question BUT an "old timer" chooses to remind him/her that there's a search feature and "NOOBIE #3" feels he's been "scolded"

Another common "situation" is the noobie doesn't know enough about RV's to even know what to search for, so the search feature may as well not even be there as they'd never find what they are looking for because they don't know what to "call it"

I'm sure there are a number of other situations that occur, these are only the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Sure, NOOBIE's are welcome, Many of them (us) have valuable information to exchange and I've learned things from someone just entering the RV world just as I've learned from those with more experience.

I don't think of this as a "problem" but rather a "situation". I belong to forums from Tractors to Trailers (and a host of things on either side of those "T's" and in every one of those "other forums" I see the same comments made.... "Use the search feature, we've already discussed that, just go look for the answer, it's there hundreds of times" That comment is very easily interpreted as, "Go away and don't bother us, you're question isn't important to us"

Is that any way to welcome a "NOOBIE" ??? My answer is "no it's not." We are all in this together and who knows, the next time you go camping, one of those "NOOBIE's" may well be your next lot neighbor and turn out to be a great friend.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
rhagfo
Senior Member
 
rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think a part of the "situation" (I wouldn't call it a problem) is that quite a few folks ("noobies") aren't really that familiar with the forum layout, some don't even know there is a search feature. They find this place through a Google search and when they click on it, they start reading the newest posts and realize people ask questions and other people answer them. The "noobie" has quesitons, so he/she tries to ask one and finds that they can't unless they "join the free forum" They think, OK, type in a few blocks, pick a password and "VOILA" they ask their question. Someone answers, the "NOOBIE" is happy. Along comes "NOOBIE #2" same scenario, same question, same answer...... Along comes "NOOBIE #3" same scenario, same question BUT an "old timer" chooses to remind him/her that there's a search feature and "NOOBIE #3" feels he's been "scolded"

Another common "situation" is the noobie doesn't know enough about RV's to even know what to search for, so the search feature may as well not even be there as they'd never find what they are looking for because they don't know what to "call it"

I'm sure there are a number of other situations that occur, these are only the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Sure, NOOBIE's are welcome, Many of them (us) have valuable information to exchange and I've learned things from someone just entering the RV world just as I've learned from those with more experience.

I don't think of this as a "problem" but rather a "situation". I belong to forums from Tractors to Trailers (and a host of things on either side of those "T's" and in every one of those "other forums" I see the same comments made.... "Use the search feature, we've already discussed that, just go look for the answer, it's there hundreds of times" That comment is very easily interpreted as, "Go away and don't bother us, you're question isn't important to us"

Is that any way to welcome a "NOOBIE" ??? My answer is "no it's not." We are all in this together and who knows, the next time you go camping, one of those "NOOBIE's" may well be your next lot neighbor and turn out to be a great friend.
Well stated!
__________________
Russ & Paula
The Beagles Belle and Precious.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS 32’ GVWR 12,360
2001 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD, 5 sp, Pacbrake, DS Power Puck, Bilstien 5100's, Just 308K.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
https://s1191.photobucket.com/albums...Smaller5th.jpg
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
johnnyrose
Member
 
johnnyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cameron, NC
Posts: 69
Group Hug

JRTJH,

I think that was very well stated. If you were here right now I would give you a great big hug! We just need to put this all behind us and move forward. Let's not quibble anymore! Let's just help each other out the best we can and do what we came to this forum to do, help each other and camp! VIVA LA OUTDOORS!!! VIVA LA KEYSTONE!!!
__________________

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #16
SAD
Permanent User Ban
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,124
I'm camping right now in my awesome Avalanche.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
johnnyrose
Member
 
johnnyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cameron, NC
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
I'm camping right now in my awesome Avalanche.
I wish I was camping right now in my awesome Cougar...but it is in for A/C repair. SAD, you can camp for both of us this weekend!
__________________

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
SAD
Permanent User Ban
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrose View Post
I wish I was camping right now in my awesome Cougar...but it is in for A/C repair. SAD, you can camp for both of us this weekend!
Sitting by the campfire right now thinking of my keystone friends.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 12,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Sitting by the campfire right now thinking of my keystone friends.
BAAAAA HUMBUGGGGGG LOL Today (actually yesterday) was the first really nice day we've had since the March spring that lasted only a couple of days. So, trailer is now dewinterized, everything survived (havent checked the AC yet, too cold) and we're getting ready to head to the lake in a week or so. First, I have to get the boat ready, walleye season opens in 5 days.... YIPPEEEEE Spring is finally here Look out campgrounds, one of your "terrors" is about to arrive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
johnnyrose
Member
 
johnnyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cameron, NC
Posts: 69
I am from Michigan too! I miss fishing in the big lakes. NC has had great camping weather since about February though. You take the good with the bad I guess!!
__________________

__________________

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This forum is owned and operated by Social Knowledge, LLC. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company and is not affiliated with the Keystone RV Company or its related companies in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.