Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Bruins#17

4 bike carriers

In your opinion, which is the best 4 bike carrier to install on a TT? (no ladder mounts) Thank you!
Bruins#17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Outbackmel

4 Bike Carrier reply

Good luck with that! I "had" a very expensive, high quality, 3 bike carrier on a 2 inch receiver, on the rear bumper of my Outback 5er; 36 ft'er. On 2 trips to FL (800 mi roundtrip) constantly tightening tie down straps and worrying about severe vibration shaking something loose (and straps DO come loose). FYI, I am "anal" when attaching "stuff" to ensure it will not fall or damage my rig or worse cause injury to others. When NOT Rv'ing, we tow 2, 1,000 lb motorcycles everywhere on an open trailer. NEVER had an incident of damage or even any weight shift.

We leave for a cross country trip in 3 days...changed up. Put one smaller bike (w/o front wheel) wrapped and stowed in bed of truck. Bought a ladder carrier for 2 bikes and only mounted 1 and it would take "Rambo" to tear it off.
3rd bike? well, one of 3 things along our journey:
Option 1: buy a folding bicycle and bag from CW and stow it inside RV.
Option 2: once we hit AZ for 2 months; buy a used bike and donate it to charity when we leave.
Option 3: Leave golf clubs home and take bike #3 (NOT)

There is another option; buy a toy hauler; but then we have to take the motorcycles AND bicycles...ohhhhhhhh myyyy...decisions, decisions.....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
cumminsdad08

don't know what for tow vehical you have, but it might be worth while looking into a roof mount for the TV. 4 bikes is a lot of weight bouncing around. even two high end adult and two kids bikes should be a couple of hundred lbs. we have avarage adult bikes, and mine is rather large, being over 6 ft tall, and i used to just jamb them in the bed othe truck on the sides and squeeze the 2-4 kids bikes i usually have to take with. this winter i invested in a tool box, so i don't know what i am going to do with the bikes. i have been looking into a roof mount, but i hate to make my truck any higher then what it is now. (i have it lifted). i don't think that to truck with bikes would be any higher then the trailer. i was going to look into a mount for the trailer, but i am afraid when the kids get older, (if they still want to hang out with us camping), that it will be too much weight for the bumper to hold. i heard stories of them twisting up and such.....

so i don't think that i answered your question, but i hope i ironed out some ideas for ya.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote