Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
JerJan10

Bugs on the front?

We just did a week-long trip to Florida and I had seen a friends's 5er after they went to FL and it was covered in bugs. Thinking I was being smart before we left, I sprayed the front of our 5er with Pam so the bugs would "just wash right off" when we got back home.

WRONG! The Pam turned to "goo" and it took 3 good washings to get it off (mostly). Now I have waxed it twice so it's shinny and slick. Maybe the bugs won't stick so well next time.

Any other ideas for the bug problems from more experienced camper that I am?

Thanks, JT
JerJan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
jq1031

Florida bugs can be a problem especially the late spring love bugs that stick like glue & if not removed become part of your paint. The best remedy is dryer sheets. Wet dryer sheets used like a wash cloth on your vehicle do the job. Warning, don't let the residue from the sheets dry on your paint because that creates a new problem that creates further cleaning. On your windshield rainx helps!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Ron

I tried pledge wood cleaner, friend of mine said it works? Well I'm not sure seemed like I still had to schrub just as hard to get the ickys off. I would think if you put a good paste wax on and left it, then brushed it off when back home, that would work, might not look so good in the mean time but?

Happy Campin............Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
richf28

Friends we camp with and myself use Fluid Film. Is is pure organic, no petroleum. I spray it on and wipe it with a cloth. Fluid Film can be used for many things. I use as a lubricant and use it in place of dieletic grease in all electrical connections. I worked 30 plus years with corrosive road salt in the winter and used it religiously for electrical protection, corrosion protection and you can even undercoat your vehicles with it. We have garages in our area that now use it instead of oil for undercoating. Check out
http://www.fluid-film.com/products/index.html

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:50 AM   #5
ftwildernessguy

I always just put a good coat of wax on the front before leaving. Then when we get to the campground, I give the front of the truck and the trailer a quick wash and the bugs come right off. Same when we get home. I had heard of the Pam trick but never really felt good about spraying the front of my truck and trailer with that stuff.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
Laredo291OH

Magic erasers work very well for removing bugs road tar etc. A magic eraser with a little Wesleys white wall cleaner will clean just about anything off the outside of a camper or truck.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Be careful using Westley's Bleech-White near the rubber roof and also near the vinyl inserts in the corner moldings. It will make the roof EPDM tacky and possibly damage it as well as turn the white vinyl insert to a off white/yellow in only a couple of applications. As for the Filon or fiberglass, I'm not sure what it does to the coating, but you're right, it does make the bugs fall away.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
SLIMSHADIE

Not a recommendation, but while traveling out of state, one of my 5 gallon diesel cans dumped over. It lightly coated my tailgate and the front of my camper. I washed it that night while stopped overnight. The bugs just slid off.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMSHADIE View Post
Not a recommendation, but while traveling out of state, one of my 5 gallon diesel cans dumped over. It lightly coated my tailgate and the front of my camper. I washed it that night while stopped overnight. The bugs just slid off.
Diesel, one of the EPA's "most wanted solvents" LOL I'm sure the bugs would slide right off, just worried that the paint might also

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
JerJan10

Thanks for the responses, I'll probably try some of the solutions but I won't ever use Pam again!
JerJan10 is offline   Reply With Quote