Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
motor256

Door vent on generator compartment???

Has anyone installed a vent opening in the compartment door that is in front of the generator??? My door get so hot I'm afraid that it's going to melt or worse. My old motorhome had a vented compartment door where the generator was and a lot of other trailers and coaches that I see every day have them too so I wonder why my Raptor doesn't??? What do you think?
motor256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Outbackmel

Generator Vent

I DO NOT have an answer. BUT, even though I do not even have a generator,
I will be installing a 2nd Carbon Monoxide dector in my 5er. We have 2 in our home. This past weekend, 5 adults died in Clarkesville, TN as they stayed in a rented TT while hosting a charity motorcycle event which drew 2000 bikes.

Seems a generator was placed in a shed behind where they parked the camper. An outdoor compartment on the TT failed to seal and keep fumes from entering. The levels of deadly fumes even sickened 4 people who just entered the unit to see why the 5 now deceased did not show for a meeting.

This is our WAKE UP CALL. Fall is here. Cooler weather means HEAT; propane and electric. Time to check all detectors for proper functioning. Check your lines; propane and cords, etc on portable heaters.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
SteveC7010

If the door gets warm enough to raise your concern, I would suggest two vents; one passive to let fresh air in, and the other a power vent to pull the hot air out.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
BigCajun

I believe the Marquis Gold generators pull fresh air from the bottom, that's why no vent needed.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
eds451

My 07 Cougar I bought last year came with an Onan LP generator mounted in the front bay. and YES there is a vent on the door. The exhaust is routed down and to the side with an extension pipe. Remote start makes it nice and easy to start.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote