Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
pirates55

Propane Detector Alarm Going off

My Propane Detector alarm keeps going off. The camper has been parked for about 2 months now and the propane is turned off. I thought it was just going bad since the date on the back was Nov. 2003 so I bought a new one.

I wired it up yesterday and the alarm was going off again this morning. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong. Someone said if your battery was weak it could make it alarm.

Any ideas would be great. I'm leaving for the beach in about a month and would like to have it working.
pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If your battery is low this will happen. Check electrolyte levels and charge of battery. Also some cleaning products, colognes and aerosols will set it off.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
pirates55

I will check the battery this afternoon when I get home from the office. I hate I didn't check that first before spending the money on a new detector. I guess since it was 8 years old it doesn't hurt to replace it.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirates55 View Post
I guess since it was 8 years old it doesn't hurt to replace it.

The detector on my last trailer went bad at about ten years so I think you have the right mindset. Now ...... How old is your battery? Enjoy camping, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
pirates55

I don't think the battery is that old. I know its not the original battery. I didn't realize that the detector would drain the battery until I started looking into this issue today.

I took it out over the winter and kept it in my basement on my work bench. I will take it to the local auto parts house tonight and let them check it.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #6
Jim W

I put my camper in the storage yard between camping trips. I have learned to un-hook the negative battery cable. All of the patristic electrical loads will drain the battery between camping trips.
When I hooked up the TV vehicle the propane alarm would beep un-till the battery was charged up by the TV. I would pull the fuse for the alarm and reinstalled the fuse when I got home from the storage yard. The battery would have enough electrical power to prevent the alarm from beeping.
Remember the Jensen radio, the propane alarm and the CO2 alarm are all powered by the battery when no shore power is available. These will drain the battery after awhile.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Rock7

Bad potato's or onion's will give off gas, and sound the alarms. Always chk galley, Wives are not infallibla, regardless of what they say;-)
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote