Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #21
jq1031

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Sun-N-Fun in Sarasota. Been coming here for about 16 yrs. and can't wait to retire and winter here. I think I was born to be a "Snow Bird". BUT!!! Have to work a few more years.
I know you're about ready to head North, so I just wanted to wish you a safe & smooth journey! Don't know you Hank, but I think we would get along! JOE
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Using your figure of $5.20 per US gallon, that price is $1.40 per gallon higher than the lowest price I could find in Detroit, Michigan ($3.80) . This works out to about 37% higher --- close to 40%! - in Ontario. By the time you factor in the current exchange rate, any American travellers are probably looking at paying 40% more if they were to drive in Ontario. In Alberta where the gas is the cheapest of all provinces, it would be close to 33-35% more.
Years ago when we lived in Duluth, MN, we made an annual "pilgrimmage" to Thunder Bay every summer. Back then, we pulled a small tent camper with a small car. We always looked forward to that 2 weeks and had hoped to repeat that "ancient journey" this summer. However, with gas where it is, I really don't think we'll do it this year. Hopefully things will normalize and in coming years we'll be able to repeat those wonderful trips. It's not a lack of desire that keeps me out of Canada, it's strictly cost. <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #23
DTJ9610

Putting gas into the truck was quite a sticker shock the first few times. I was coming from a oyota Sienna that was getting about 21 mpg. Our biggest trip this year is from Buffalo, NY to Gettysburg, PA. Figure the gass is going to cost me about $400ish... JOY!!! However the family loves the camping. The wife is already talking about a trip to Disney with it (have to do some research on that to compare driving/camping v flying /hotel)... Happy Camping!!

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #24
Outbackmel

Disney trip

That fly/hotel thing is always something to consider on any trip of distance these days. Lot's of "specials" going on Disney area hotels...another thing to consider is the www.vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner). We have used it several times and had good experiences. Some condos are available very close to the Disney entrance; like 10 minutes by car. You also need to consider a rental vehicle if you plan to be in the area more than a few days.
Lot's of interesting things to do and see in the Orlando area.

Just like camping....planning and the trip are at least 1/2 the fun....in the end; dollar wise; I'll bet the choice comes out about even

Good luck....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #25
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
I know you're about ready to head North, so I just wanted to wish you a safe & smooth journey! Don't know you Hank, but I think we would get along! JOE

Probably because of your well wishes we had a great trip home ... we left Fri. at noon and were home Sat. at 4PM.(1243 mi.) and to show my thanks I brought home about 50 lbs. of your "Love Bugs" on the front of my truck and trailer. If you look closely you can see thousands of little tiny smiling faces of those that died in the act of doing the only thing they were born to do. (I think the moderators will allow me to say that)

To get back to the original idea of the thread fuel was right around the $4 mark at most FlyingJs' (I only stop 3 times and only FlyingJ ... at home and in Fla. I use only Hess) with SC being the cheapest for a "Bio Blend" that was the only thing available at the RV island. (Ran Great)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #26
jq1031

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Probably because of your well wishes we had a great trip home ... we left Fri. at noon and were home Sat. at 4PM.(1243 mi.) and to show my thanks I brought home about 50 lbs. of your "Love Bugs" on the front of my truck and trailer. If you look closely you can see thousands of little tiny smiling faces of those that died in the act of doing the only thing they were born to do. (I think the moderators will allow me to say that)

To get back to the original idea of the thread fuel was right around the $4 mark at most FlyingJs' (I only stop 3 times and only FlyingJ ... at home and in Fla. I use only Hess) with SC being the cheapest for a "Bio Blend" that was the only thing available at the RV island. (Ran Great)
Hank, glad you had a good ( & quick) trip up north. Those Love Bugs, although they only last for a couple weeks are mayhem on a TV & RV. I wash the front of my truck every AM this time of year, if you let them remain there a couple days in this heat & sun there become part of your paint job. Dryer sheets (wet) are the best way to get them off without scratching the finish. Using these thin wet sheets, you feel the bugs come lose as you rub. Wash with soap after & back to normal. Maybe next yext year we can share a brew! JOE
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #27
cumminsdad08

fuel wont be stopping us this year, just trips closer to home. if i pull the trailer someplace local and back, i will use LESS fuel then if i stay at home and putt around town helping and visiting friends. for our longer trips we actually started shopping at weis and using the sheets rewards card. i filled my tank on the dodge diesel cheaper then the price for reg. 87. so the way i figure i am spending the money on food anyway, and for every hundred we spend there its like 10 cents a gal less for diesel. and between me and my growing boy, a hundred bucks at the food store don't go very far these days. and to really top it off, the sheets is like a block from where i store my trailer so they cant keep me at home. i work way too hard to play with this camper in the driveway.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #28
mrxlh

The one nice thing about having a company truck is that my TV doesn't use any fuel during the week, so sticker shock is not bad at all. Prices are not effecting my camping.

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES
mrxlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #29
cumminsdad08

yea i hear ya there. its nice only putting in what i want to "play" with. they day they tell me i have to leave it at work and drive in everyday, will prolly be my last two weeks after that. i like my job, but that is one of the few things keeping me there.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #30
Devildogmom

Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by THedges View Post
Yep, diesel prices are killing me. Sad to say, but it will not affect us going out. Taking out the TT on the weekends is what gets me through the week, so I guess I'll be taking what ever abuse the gas companies dole out.
I noticed yesterday that diesel prices, eventhough outrageous, are now lower than regular gas!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Might be because it's changeover time for gas. Time to change the formula from "winter gas" to "summer gas" So, if the refinery is shut down or on a slow down, they'll be producing less, thereby keeping the demand for available gas up. This would keep the gas prices up. If diesel is not being affected by a "slow down" then there would be more available and the price would be down, or at least not as high.

Seems like "old times" when gas was always higher than diesel, but I'd guess those years are waaaaay behind us and gas will fall enough to keep diesel up there.

Funny how when the speculators suggest oil will rise in a few days, fuel prices go up, but when the price of oil actually goes down, fuel prices don't follow as quickly on the downslide as they do on the uphill side..... Hmmmmm oil companies just keep working their profits any way they can

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #32
hankaye

Howdy All;

Just figured I'd throw in my 2 pennies.
Here in Central Utah price of diesel is hovering around $4.20 (5gal X$4.20 = $21.00) My tank holds 42 gal. or $176.00 for a compleate fill-up).
I try harder to fill near 1/2 tank more these days.
The part that bugs me is that diesel has less refining to it than gas.
The refining tree (as it were), is roughly diesel/ fuel oil (for your furness of "Off road <farm tractors, etc>), then afew other concoctions then right
near the end of the process is gasoline...

Kind of like buying Ladies lingerie ... The less there is the more it costs.

hankaye
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Hmmmmm Never thought of it quite that way, Hankaye.... Good analogy

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #34
Festus2
Site Team

Question High fuel prices - another perspective

We all like to blame the gas companies for gouging us at the pumps. After all, they are the folks selling the stuff to us so who or what else could be possibly be responsible for these crazy prices? We've read the comments about it being summer - the time of year when we all drive more and the switch-over to "summer gas". Others have pointed the finger at speculators.

I am wondering if we should be pointing in a different direction - the price of a barrel of crude oil. If you consider nearly all of the factors involved in determining the price of fuel at the pump, the one that fluctuates the most is the cost of a barrel of crude oil. All of the others - marketing, distribution, refining, government taxes, and retailing - pretty much remain constant. When crude oil rises to $115/barrel, we pay more at the pump. When it drops to $80/barrel, we pay less.

It costs the gas companies more to produce a gallon of fuel when the cost of crude oil is high and those costs are passed on to us. When the price of crude oil drops, the price of fuel also drops. (But perhaps not in the same ratio as was pointed out in another post).

The price of a barrel of oil isn't determined by any one country -- it is set by many so in that sense the world says what the price is going to be not the gas companies. And that price is a market price. With the unrest going on in many oil producing countries, that price is going to be higher than usual - as we are seeing today.

If I thought that by boycotting a gas company for a day or two and not buy any gas would do any good --- I would be first in line. But the reality is ---- I am pointing my finger at the wrong people.

I have to put some diesel in my truck soon and I will mumble and curse as I watch the readout on the pump go into the triple digits. Not knowing who to blame sucks! Might go buy some of that skimpy lingerie that hankaye mentioned. No, that won't work either. At our age, more is better.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #35
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post

hankaye
Without the fringe benefits .... pun intended, The other Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #36
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

Just figured I'd throw in my 2 pennies.
Here in Central Utah price of diesel is hovering around $4.20 (5gal X$4.20 = $21.00) My tank holds 42 gal. or $176.00 for a compleate fill-up).
I try harder to fill near 1/2 tank more these days.
The part that bugs me is that diesel has less refining to it than gas.
The refining tree (as it were), is roughly diesel/ fuel oil (for your furness of "Off road <farm tractors, etc>), then afew other concoctions then right
near the end of the process is gasoline...

hankaye
Hank,
You are almost correct. But off-road diesel and on highway diesel is refined at the same time. The only difference is the off-road diesel does not have road tax applied and is dyed red. The large refiners are under mandate to refine all diesel to 15 PPM as of 2010. I do not know what classifies a small refiner but they do not have to comply until 2014.
See attached link:
http://www.clean-diesel.org/nonroad.html
The cost of refining two different grades of diesel and shipping to a terminal would be enormous and would lead to confusion. So off-road diesel will be 15 PPM the same as on highway unless it is left over from prior years.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #37
tribalsimba

Wink Not so fast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
...the one that fluctuates the most is the cost of a barrel of crude oil. ....
I want to take comfort in this fact; but it seems to me the cost of crude oil is far from the rate of inflation; so why is it's market value permitted by OPEC to inflate so unrealistically. It's fuzzier math than Andrew Fastow's management of ENRON.

Given USA is the largest consumer of this resource; it seems we have the opportunity to influence on the end result significantly. Even in the last few weeks it has been reported that the price has finally reached the US consumer's threshold, causing US consumers to reduce consumption; ultimately restulting in the federal government to pay attention. All of a sudden there has been a freeze in the price climb.

Every time we boycot this energy recource, collectively for all retailers, we make a statement that does resonate globally, and impacts the market. They will continue to gouge the barrel price as long as we stand idley by.

For those like me that don't believe the retail price comes down when the barrel price does; here is some 'long-term' historicals that suggest otherwise, over the long haul.
http://www.GasBuddy.com/gb_retail_pr...me=72&units=us
Old 05-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #38
hankaye

Jim W., Howdy;

Ain't gonna pick nits with ya, however the / between diesel and fuel oil in my first post was ment to infer that they were the same, just runnin' under different names (and the addition of red dye).
That's why some States will direct buses (both Commerical and Private ie.Motorhomes), to enter Weight Stations so they can check the tanks to see what fuel is being utilized.
Like I said, NOT looking to split-hairs nor am I wanting to detract from your statements. You have some good information in that post...

hankaye
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote