Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Heidaway

Water Heater

Hey all,

I have the 6 gallon hot water heater with my trailer, but Im unfamiliar with operate it. I understand how to light the pilot light, thats obvious, but making sure the tank is full before I light it, has me puzzled. Last time I had the freshwater tank full, and turned on the water pump, water came out the cold water side just fine at the sinks and shower. But, when I turned on the hot water knob, It just seemed to spit and sputter, no steady water flow. Is there something Im missing?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Flyguy

You were right to turn on the hot water valve, and it will spit and sputter until all the air is out of the lines, when the water is flowing smoothly you know that the hot water tank is full and can now turn on the hot water heater, just don't do it before you know that the tank is full. You don't need to turn on the pump unless you are not connected to a water supply, then you need water in the fresh water holding tank for that to work. I hope that I’m not babbling about things that you already know.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
Heidaway

Ok. I had the pump on because the site we were at didnt have hook-ups. The cold water side of the sinks and tub got the air out and came to a steady stream pretty quickly. I guess I just didnt let the hot water side run long enough. There is a water valve/pressure relief valve located behind the cover on the exterior, is there anything I need to do with that?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
Flyguy

Not to my knowedge, just make sure that it's closed, its function is automatic.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

It will take a while for 6 gal. of water to fill the water heater and you get water to the faucets. DO NOT turn on the water heater until it is full. The water heater is designed to operate with an air space for expansion .... opening the pressure relief valve manually will remove that air space, so like Flyguy said it will work automatically if needed.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
campingcpl

If you are using your water pump and not the city fill then you should hear the pump shut off once the system is completely pressurized. I always listen for the pump to stop or listen at the hot water heater. You can usually hear the water filling up in the tank. Then I will open the faucets to finish pressurizing the lines up to the faucets. Usually wants your system is pressurized it should stay that way till you drain it. If it's not I would be checking for leaks. I had a problem where my pump would not shut off for longer then a minute or two and then it would kick back on. Come to find out the housing at the end of the pump was cracked and was leaking preasure. The pump has a pressure cut off and a check valve in it so water will not flow back into the holding tank and it shuts off when a set pressure is reached.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Heidaway

Ill give it a try. Heading out this afternoon. Thanks all, and have a good weekend!