Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2023, 06:53 AM   #1
luv2fly3

Rear trailer hitch weight capacity?

On the back of our Cougar 22RBS is a factory installed, full 2” hitch. It’s a frame mounted hitch, not just a bumper mounted receiver. I've looked to try and understand its capabilities as I’d like to put a small hitch mounted platform back there and maybe use it for a few things like camp chairs or even a small Honda generator. I know it’s the most “bouncy” location on the trailer and certainly can’t handle lots of weight. But if I can use it for a few things to spread weight across my truck and trailer, that would be helpful as my payload is tight on my truck so I can’t put a lot of stuff in the bed. And the trailer only has front under unit storage.

Just wondering if anyone knows the specs on its weight capacity and how anyone might be using their hitch on the rear of the trailer and can share some experiences.

Thanks!
luv2fly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:04 AM   #2
Martian

The rating for that hitch is 300 pounds per Keystone specs.
I use it to hold a draw bar with a 2" ball.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:36 AM   #3
luv2fly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
The rating for that hitch is 300 pounds per Keystone specs.
I use it to hold a draw bar with a 2" ball.
Thanks! I thought I had heard that number but couldn’t find that spec anywhere. What type of stuff do you use it for? Any issues with its use in your experience?
luv2fly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:45 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
On the back of our Cougar 22RBS is a factory installed, full 2” hitch. It’s a frame mounted hitch, not just a bumper mounted receiver. I've looked to try and understand its capabilities as I’d like to put a small hitch mounted platform back there and maybe use it things like camp chairs or even a small Honda generator. I know it’s the most “bouncy” location on the trailer and certainly can’t handle lots of weight. But if I can use it for a few things to spread weight across my truck and trailer, that would be helpful as my payload is tight on my truck so I can’t put a lot of stuff in the bed. And the trailer only has front under unit storage.

Just wondering if anyone knows the specs on its weight capacity and how anyone might be using their hitch on the rear of the trailer and can share some experiences.

Thanks!
There is supposed to be a sticker/label on the frame of the accessory hitch. But absent that, if it is a factory installed hitch, the tongue weight is limited to 300 lbs. inclusive of the rack weight. Some models come with a tow-rated accessory hitch (still has a 300 lb. weight rating), but if there is a flat-4 wire connection and welded ears on the receiver for safety chains, you could conceivably tow up to 3,000 lbs. where it is legal to do so.

As for use, I hear pros and cons (mostly cons), but it depends on what you intend to carry. Just keep in mind that even 100 lbs. of weight bouncing up in the air and coming back down translates to a significant increase in weight stress on the hitch and frame. With that in mind, I wouldn't trust anything of real value (like a generator) back there, but chairs, a tote, a portable sewer tank, etc. might be okay.

I am sure you will hear the old, hold my beer: "I carry a 7,000 watt generator, 4 bikes, 1/2 cord of firewood and a gas grill back there and have never had an issue". YMMV
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 08:21 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I've had trailers with the 2" receiver but have never put anything on them because I have seen SO many folks use those things with racks that are full and he rack is bent, stuff falling off, wallowing side to side, flopping up and down....I said I'd never do that.....until -

Bought 2 ebikes last December and carry them folded up in the RV. That's the only way to transport them when carrying the RV. When we get to a location we are really limited in where we can go with the bikes without a rack to carry them somewhere - enter a Hollywood Rack ebike rack. My plan is to carry the rack (no bikes) folded up in that receiver. It weighs about 50lbs. maybe. I would know how it was going to work today but I didn't go to FL. I have reservations about just that small weight but figured I'd give it a whirl. I'll use it to transport the bikes on the truck once we're at whatever our destination is. Guess I'll be waiting a few months to know - in the meantime I would be VERY careful about what you put on the receiver (bouncing causes LOTS of stresses) and definitely wouldn't put anything heavy or expensive on it. I'm debating on a rear camera so I can see what's happening but the jury is still out on that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 05:11 PM   #6
Martian

The only thing I use it for is to keep a stinger with a 2" ball on it. It is there for storage only so if I need to tow something else when traveling it will not be buried in the back of the truck. On relatively local trips I do put a bike rack there with two Day6 bikes. Less than 100 pounds total and as close to the back of the trailer as I could get it. If I bring generators they go in the truck bed.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 04:18 AM   #7
notanlines

Without going into details here, trailers generally put tension on a 300# rated receiver. Platforms like OP described generally put torque on said receiver. Two completely different forces. Torque forces from platforms are more often seen on Utube and Reddit videos. As suggested, avoid anything heavy.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 06:36 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

To add to Jim's comment, CURT Hitch makes a RV rear receiver that is very similar to what Keystone installs. In their installation instructions is a note that the hitch is designed to carry a "wheeled load" (tow a trailer) and that any "non-trailer" (wheelless load) must be supported by "support straps". On the CURT website, they are shown as "medium weight cargo straps" to attach to both ends of the platform and are intended to stop that "torque twisting" inherent with cargo platforms. The are located at this link: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/18050
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CURT HITCH STRAP REQUIREMENT.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	45558  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 06:58 AM   #9
cougar23

I carry lawn chairs on ours, nothing else.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:46 AM   #10
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

It sounds HD when it's mounted to the frame and not the bumper...maybe you can tow a similar trailer For comparison sake, I have the 2018 22RBS with the fold up/down cargo/bike rack attached to the bumper that holds 220lbs...I carry two bikes and the area rug back there. I'm sure you can add a nice hitched accessory, maybe a 4 bike rack or a set up like I got...it's a cargo rack or you raise the arm and attach two bikes. Man, I wonder if you could tow a toy or two back there
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:54 AM   #11
luv2fly3

Thanks for the input everyone. So the straps would make sense and I can see how those could help stabilize a small carrier (platform or bike rack) on the hitch. Just not sure how you’d attach those on the back of a travel trailer.

I guess the reality is while the factory did install a hitch, they didn’t really intend it to be used for much. I’m not looking for a wheeled trailer to be used off of it, but to place a few smaller cargo items on it on a small cargo platform. But I guess I’ll just stick to my bikes and Yakima bike rack and avoid the risk.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:08 AM   #12
flyingjack

I guess I'm the "hold my beer and watch this" guy. 2022 HC 295 has 2" factory welded receiver. I mount my two ebike (71 lbs each) rack (rated 200 lb bike rack) plus I've also added a 1 1/4" bolt-on hitch at one end of bike rack to help nearly stop the "wobble". Also, used receiver hitch clamp and rack has threaded bolt helping hold receiver insert tight. I installed a camera to watch and after two trips totaling nearly 5,000 miles I adjusted camera to the traffic and no longer watch bike rack as there was very little movement. Now, 3 trips this year and nearly 8,000 miles; I rechecked my rack bolts and welds visually; (although not completely thorough) and all is well and I will continue to do what I do. I've also had traveling buddies in motorhome follow us closely and report findings; not much movement. Standard YMMV
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:18 AM   #13
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

It's nice to have that cargo/bike space...I use those ratchet tie down straps and bungee cords to tie things down...you'll figure out how to attach them if not youtube it The cargo platform is I'm guessing 20" wide by the length of a bike plus a foot I've often thought of finding the perfect size carrier to fit back there.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:26 AM   #14
luv2fly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
It's nice to have that cargo/bike space...I use those ratchet tie down straps and bungee cords to tie things down...you'll figure out how to attach them if not youtube it The cargo platform is I'm guessing 20" wide by the length of a bike plus a foot I've often thought of finding the perfect size carrier to fit back there.
I think the straps mentioned are ones that connect from the rack or cargo tray and secure it to the vehicle it's attached to. For a car, you could run them to the luggage rack or trunk and anchor them to help stabilize the hitch mounted rack. But on a travel trailer, I don't know where you could attach them.

Or are those the types of straps you're referring to? If so, from the cargo platform you use, where do you attach them to the rear or roof of your trailer?
Old 11-01-2023, 08:37 AM   #15
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Both straps I mentioned have hooks on the ends making it easy to tie stuff down to the cargo rack via holes in the floor, the post and the bumper...never mind the roof
Old 11-01-2023, 09:58 AM   #16
GlasNav

We used the receiver hitch as shown in the first picture for a couple of trips and gave up on it since even with shims, the receiver mounted carrier was taking a beating.
I decided to go with something more permanent to carry and protect our generator. I welded a piece of tubular steel between the receiver and the bottom of the bumper. Then purchased and installed brackets and supports from etrailer and mounted the generator box on the brackets. No more vibration or bouncing while in transit as confirmed by the rear camera.
I ran carriage bolts in from the bottom of the box and positioned them so the generator misses the nuts and washers. Also installed the brackets in the same manner, what a bear getting to the nuts with the bolts assembled from the bottom up.
Generator is a Champion 4500 Inverter dual fuel, we only run it on propane.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6828 2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	45561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6905.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	45562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6906.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	45563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6907.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	45564  

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:24 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
I think the straps mentioned are ones that connect from the rack or cargo tray and secure it to the vehicle it's attached to. For a car, you could run them to the luggage rack or trunk and anchor them to help stabilize the hitch mounted rack. But on a travel trailer, I don't know where you could attach them.

Or are those the types of straps you're referring to? If so, from the cargo platform you use, where do you attach them to the rear or roof of your trailer?
I've seen people mount a spare tire rack to the center of the bumper and tie the straps from each end of the platform "diagonally" to the center top of the spare tire rack. Others have installed "tie down anchors" to the rear corners of their trailer, using the aluminum or wooden framework of the trailer. Some suggest that the trailer framework is not "robust enough" to support the weight. I'd counter with the fact that cab-over campers for truck beds are built with the same framework concept and their "corner post jacks" are mounted the same way. Some of them support up to 4000+ pounds on the four corners, so, depending on how you approach a "corner tie-down fitting" you can use the trailer framework to attach the recommended straps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 02:00 PM   #18
Hballer21

I have a 120 lb scooter on the back of mine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5965.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	45607  
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 03:32 PM   #19
Bandit12

I have a cargo rack rated for 500lbs on mine but I've never put anything other than my Predator 3500 generator on it. Generator weighs about 100lbs. I've watched it on the backup camera monitor going down the road and it doesn't seem to bounce much.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 04:10 PM   #20
luv2fly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
I have a cargo rack rated for 500lbs on mine but I've never put anything other than my Predator 3500 generator on it. Generator weighs about 100lbs. I've watched it on the backup camera monitor going down the road and it doesn't seem to bounce much.
Thanks for that insight. Honestly, if I could place my two camp chairs and a Honda generator on the back (75-100lbs), I'd be good. Given our trailer is a 26' tip to tail length, I tend to think the bounce won't be too bad. But I have a camera so I'll have to run some tests before I do that. I'm also going to upgrade the trailer suspension and tires before next camping season, so that should help too.

Appreciate all the responses!

Tags
hitch