Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2023, 02:56 AM   #21
Vannooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Welcome to the forum, lots of great folks with tons of knowledge and willing to help.

I hate to mention this, but have you looked at the payload on that truck or scaled the rig? That is an 11k gvwr 5th wheel on a 1/2 ton truck. I'm thinking you may be overweight???
That didn’t take long…. I’m out
Vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:59 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannooch View Post

Sorry, it's such an obvious potential mismatch and the elephant in the room. Towing something that large is serious and not a game. You can ignore the situation in your mind....but it won't be ignored in real life come the right place and time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:00 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
He has no profile or signature. How did you know this? Did he post this elsewhere?
Got it in his profile.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:26 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
If "truly out", then this likely will never be seen, but....

The 2018 Titan "gas engine truck" has a curb weight in the 5600 pound range and a GVWR in the 7300 pound range. That leaves a payload around the 1700 pound range. (all come from the "official" Nissan site)...

So, with a Cougar "Half Ton" 29RLI having a shipping weight of 8893 and a "empty" pin weight of 1630, by the time you add a battery and 60 pounds of propane along with one of those "36 pound aluminum hitches", it looks like the only "safe way to stay under the payload" is to tow an empty trailer with no passengers and never fill the gas tank over half full..... Otherwise, a MANDATORY trip to a CAT scale will either "prove this wrong" or "validate the overweight condition"....

I know which way I'd make my wager, but for the poster's sake, I'd hope I'm wrong..... Only common sense and a CAT scale ticket will determine the outcome.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:37 AM   #25
Vannooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If "truly out", then this likely will never be seen, but....

The 2018 Titan "gas engine truck" has a curb weight in the 5600 pound range and a GVWR in the 7300 pound range. That leaves a payload around the 1700 pound range. (all come from the "official" Nissan site)...

So, with a Cougar "Half Ton" 29RLI having a shipping weight of 8893 and a "empty" pin weight of 1630, by the time you add a battery and 60 pounds of propane along with one of those "36 pound aluminum hitches", it looks like the only "safe way to stay under the payload" is to tow an empty trailer with no passengers and never fill the gas tank over half full..... Otherwise, a MANDATORY trip to a CAT scale will either "prove this wrong" or "validate the overweight condition"....

I know which way I'd make my wager, but for the poster's sake, I'd hope I'm wrong..... Only common sense and a CAT scale ticket will determine the outcome.....
It’s an XD plenty of truck for the trailer. Ya all come out of the gate swinging and you didn’t even read the post correctly.
Vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:54 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
It’s an XD plenty of truck for the trailer. Ya all come out of the gate swinging and you didn’t even read the post correctly.

No one came out swinging. An XD is a 1/2 ton truck. A 5th wheel, even the lightest, need a minimum of a 3/4 ton. As was pointed out it will be literally impossible to tow that trailer without being overweight if you just put the empty trailer on the truck. Your post indicated you wanted room in the bed to put some bikes in it when at camp....those bikes had to get there some way and all that takes off the small payload of the truck. What does the yellow/white payload sticker inside the driver door say just to sort of clear the air? That is the first thing one has to know in lieu of a scale ticket.

The questions/comments are to help you, not attack you. Far too many think a "truck" is a "truck" and they're not. Nissan tried to make the XD sound like a HD truck....it's not.
Old 07-29-2023, 02:29 PM   #27
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I am seriously thinking of switching to a Reese Goosebox, with the puck system on our 2016 Ram 3500 the ball Lilly weighs 8#.
I changed out my fifthwheel hitch to a Reese Goosebox with the air bag suspension. I heard that this Reese is the only one that the frame manufacturer will accept in their frame warranty. No more fifth wheel hitch in the bed of the one ton truck I pulled it with. I have a different truck now but it also has the B&W flip over ball. Pull a lever, remove the ball, flip it over and the bed is clean and flat.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 05:45 AM   #28
Conyers

When I bought my 5th wheel in late 2022, I had the dealer install the Reese Goosebox. It rides nicely. No issues so far. I'm happy with it.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:03 AM   #29
tallen

I too am in the process of swapping to the Reese Goose box, but my 1st one showed up at the door with on side of it curled/bent inwards.....hmmmm , so I called the seller and ask for a replacement. Waitin on the big rig to come pick up the old one and drop off the 2 nd new one. fingers crossed this one will not have been dropped somewhere along the route to my house. My 5th wheel is new and I am siding on the safe side this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2647.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	44751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2641.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	44752  
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:07 AM   #30
brittsnbirds

Reese Goosebox is the bomb!!

I pull a 2014 Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel with a 2500 Ram Diesel using the Ram puck system.

Originally was pulling the same trailer with a 2500 Chevy gasser using a Curt Q20 and slider. The Curt 5th wheel is a solid system but no suspension. The Chevy bounced and surged all over the place, even after replacing the shocks horrible ride.

I did the research and decided to go with the Reese Goosebox. Once you get your trailer hooked up and loaded just air the bladder up while watching the sight glass for the level arm to be in the middle and your done. Night and day ride compared to a regular kingpin system. I LOVE my set up!! Plus pulling with a diesel is no comparison, just set the cruise set back and steer. When I'm ready to hook up I just put the ball in the hole, put the chain connects in their holes and hook up. Because you are pulling a trailer with a ball you have to have chains attached.

I highly recommend the Reese Goosebox!! The Momma is happy now.
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 03:39 AM   #31
KSH

I did the gen y gooseneck. The thing has been amazing.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch