Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #21
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Yeah - I agree - California is WAY messed up!!
Kansas is the "perfect" state
People in Kansas do think that. Now us folks on the MO side of the line, we just laugh at those jayhawkers. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #22
Ksupaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Yeah - I agree - California is WAY messed up!!
Kansas is the "perfect" state
My state has many many problems.

But backing through cones with a 5th wheel ain’t one of them! 😂😂

New govoner now. Already taking back the money they gave away the previous years. Who knows, maybe I will be backing through cones soon.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #23
Freeheel4life

Hopefully now that the Republic of California is filling their coffers with all that highly taxed legal grass there will be no need to peel money out of your wallet for a non commercial class A.
Don't follow KS politics but if they are hurting for money maybe they should look at the tax revenue generated by CO, OR and WA in the last few years. Not saying it's the answer to budget shortfalls but it sure doesn't seem to hurt.
Regardless, good luck on the next go round Aorobie
Old 02-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #24
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post
My state has many many problems.

But backing through cones with a 5th wheel ain’t one of them! ����

New govoner now. Already taking back the money they gave away the previous years. Who knows, maybe I will be backing through cones soon.
I going thought this right now in Kansas. If you drive a RV your total GVWR is over 26,001 in Kansas you need to have a non-commercial class a or class b. If you over 26,001 and the trailer you pull is less than 10,000 pounds you need a Class B and if the GVWR is over 26,001 and your trailer is over 10,000 pounds you need a Class A. First the DMV told me that RV was exempt then after call Topeka they found that the requirement was made in 2011 requiring the non-commercial licences and RV are not exempt. I also ask how many they have issued in my town and the answer was none. The only way I found out is a guy was stopped in Wichita Kansas and his motorhome was towed.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #25
Ksupaul

CWSWine, are you over the 26k? I don’t know single soul with a class B or A in kansas pulling an RV. Suppose the Toy Haulers would get there loaded. Also have never heard of a ticket or someone with an impounded RV. There is a first for everything I guess. My TT isn’t an issue, but I have kept my CDL for 25 years. Might as well keep it Incase I need to move up the food chain.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #26
CWSWine

KSUPaul - Yes I'm way over now (36,400 GVWR). But even with my Montana 3711 GVWR 16,000 and my 1 Ton GMC 11,500 that would put me at 27,500 which would require a Class A non-commercial. I have not met anyone that has one and even ask a local police officer and he said that he didn't know anything about the requirement.

If you look at the back of the KS class C you will see the restriction of less than 26,001 list on the back.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
KSUPaul - Yes I'm way over now (36,400 GVWR). But even with my Montana 3711 GVWR 16,000 and my 1 Ton GMC 11,500 that would put me at 27,500 which would require a Class A non-commercial. I have not met anyone that has one and even ask a local police officer and he said that he didn't know anything about the requirement.

If you look at the back of the KS class C you will see the restriction of less than 26,001 list on the back.
This same discussion has/is being cussed/discussed in Texas for a year or so. I've ask officers, DMV personnel, & read the manual, what I read is the last line "less than 26001 lbs, for personal use". My last weight was 25700+/- a couple hundred pounds, so as far as I can figure I'm good.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #28
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
This same discussion has/is being cussed/discussed in Texas for a year or so. I've ask officers, DMV personnel, & read the manual, what I read is the last line "less than 26001 lbs, for personal use". My last weight was 25700+/- a couple hundred pounds, so as far as I can figure I'm good.
I don't know if Texas is the same but not how much you weight but adding the GVWR of your truck and trailer/5er together. With my Montana and 1 ton, I was only about 14,500 combine on the CAT scale but my truck GVWR was 11,500 and my 5er was 16,500 so I needed the Class A since they added up to over 26,001.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I don't know if Texas is the same but not how much you weight but adding the GVWR of your truck and trailer/5er together. With my Montana and 1 ton, I was only about 14,500 combine on the CAT scale but my truck GVWR was 11,500 and my 5er was 16,500 so I needed the Class A since they added up to over 26,001.
It's the same in most states that I've read about. It all depends on the GVW (max possible weight) not the actual weight slips. The license reflects what your rig "can do" not what it "actually does"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #30
MattE303

Which DMV did you take the test at? Any additional details you can provide about the test, walkaround, etc. would be appreciated, need to tackle this one myself sometime soon....

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #31
dcg9381

Quote:
This same discussion has/is being cussed/discussed in Texas for a year or so.
Texas, particularly the DMV STINKS at non-commerical class-A. I escalated issues to the DMV leadership multiple times, trying to get them to issue a written statement for local DMV guidance on which written tests should be given and what should be covered in the driving test. Eventually, what I got was "it's up to the local office on what they want to do" - which completely makes no sense.

In practical terms, go to one of the very few DMVs that are used to processing non-commercial Class-A. Otherwise, you risk getting run through large portions of the commercial driving written, which I personally couldn't pass without study walking in off the street. I got run through 3 or 4 different sections of the commercial driving exam, all of which I (eventually) passed - with different offices indicating different requirements on different days. Asking individual offices to call for clarification was not helpful.

The BEST and most current place that I know of to keep track on how to do it in Texas is here:
http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/12534...-upgrade-faqs/

It used to be that Livingston, TX was "the" place to go to take the RV test.

Quote:
I've ask officers, DMV personnel, & read the manual, what I read is the last line "less than 26001 lbs, for personal use". My last weight was 25700+/- a couple hundred pounds, so as far as I can figure I'm good.
As others have said, you're incorrect here. It's GVWR - or the "heaviest" you can be. There's a sticker on your truck and a sticker on your trailer. If those add up to 26001 lbs or more, you need a Class-A license. They don't have to weigh you to ticket you, they can just look at the stickers and do the math.

I feel that it's worth mentioning a few things:
  • I know of absolutely no one stopped in Texas that has ever been ticketed for not having a non-CDL class-A. Not one. I'm not all knowing, however. But the DPS office can't keep it straight, DPS home office can't keep it straight, I'm not terribly worried about it with individual officers.
  • I DO know of people that have problems once they have this license. Jurisdictions do NOT understand "non-commercial" and I know of people who have been refused the right to defensive driving after driving offenses. Getting it resolved often requires help from the DPS, good luck... IE - you may be treated like a commercial driver, which is not advantageous.
  • Personally, I think the lack of this license only becomes an issue when there is an accident an a very good attorney gets involved -one capable of recognizing the need for the non-commercial-Class-A and your lack of having it. I've never heard of being denied coverage - in fact, insurers ask if you have a "valid license" not "a valid Class-A non-CDL" - so I'm not sure if there is a risk of denying liability coverage, but again, I've never heard of it. It would certainly look bad if you had an accident, got sued, and were not licensed to drive your rig - but I think that liability first falls on your insurance policy.
  • With a TX license, other states grant reciprocity - that is, if you're legal in Texas, you're legal in Oklahoma, etc... And since the DPS troopers in Texas can't keep it straight, it'd be hard for an OK officer to have that knowledge. A ticket could be issued "defacto" and you'd need to defend it, but again, I haven't heard of that ever happening.
  • CA seems to be the state where this is a real issue and they check - if you're a CA resident. They won't know what the rules are in Texas.
  • Once you have one of these, you can drive pretty much anything as long as you're not being paid. 16 ton military truck? Legal. Fire truck? Legal. Semi, with little to no experience? Legal.... I'm not saying it's smart, but it's legal.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #32
Aorobie

I took my test in Lancaster ca. First off this is a full-on commercial A/non-commercial A test and has no changes in regards to an r.v. The pre-trip inspection you are expected to touch and explain every aspect of the tow vehicle starting under the hood to the hitch and everything in between same with the trailer. The skills test is not exactly the same as written in the DMV RV handbook. 100' straight 100' in reverse..off set alley in reverse...90degree 12' wide alley dock in reverse. I never made the "drive" portion of the test but did a little scouting to become familiar with the course.
Aorobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #33
B7wildfire

At this time NJ does not require any special license for RV's. I do have a Class A CDL but cant understand why you would have to test on something you will never drive. Seems like most states have no idea what a CDL is for in the first place. If I'm not mistaken the "C" in CDL stands for commercial.
B7wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #34
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by B7wildfire View Post
At this time NJ does not require any special license for RV's. I do have a Class A CDL but cant understand why you would have to test on something you will never drive. Seems like most states have no idea what a CDL is for in the first place. If I'm not mistaken the "C" in CDL stands for commercial.
I don't know of any states that requires a CDL for a RV used only for personnel use. Now there are states that require a NON-Commercial Class A or B for operating a RV for personnel use with weights over 26,001 pounds.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #35
B7wildfire

I guess what I mean the post stated they had to endure an actual Class A test. Why? Towing an 80000 lb vehicle is not the same as an RV. Just sayin
B7wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #36
Aorobie

The my thought here in Ca. Is yes it's an RV over 16,000 lbs for personal use so a non-commercial A is required...What the DMV should really think about is making a change and attach an RV endorsement with it. That way I'm only able to legally operate an RV not an 80,000lb semi or any other vehicle over 16,000lb "for personal use"
While I'm on my soapbox the "for personal use" provision is becoming a gray area with the state. Show horse trailers, race car trailers, RV toters with double stacked trailer and such over 16,000lbs are under the radar. A lot of these trailers may have sponsors ads placed on them and there may be prize money involved at their destination so even though the driver may not be for "hire" their on the road to ultimately make money at an event. Anyhow I'm sure our "brain trust" in Sacramento will come up with another layer of b.s. All for the all mighty dollar. I'm stepping off my box now
Old 02-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #37
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by B7wildfire View Post
I guess what I mean the post stated they had to endure an actual Class A test. Why? Towing an 80000 lb vehicle is not the same as an RV. Just sayin
Because the license allows you to drive an 80k vehicle with airbrakes, at least in Texas. The fact that there is no "RV" designation (not in my state) seems to be oddball. Basically states haven't adapted to the weights and tow capacities of RVs and non-commerical 1-ton trucks that have shown up in the last 15 years or so...

I hate to say it, but it sounds like California has this figured out a bit better than other states...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #38
Aorobie

Your correct. In California the only difference between a commercial A and the non-commercial A is the written tests (depends on how many endorsements tank, haz-mat, etc.) and medical exam every 2yrs for a commercial A license. Of course now the commercial A driver is subject to a higher bar with log books, rest periods, mandatory weigh stations, etc. on the other hand a non-commercial A is one written test, and a "check the boxes" medical questionnaire. Then after a passing the behind the wheel examinations you are free to dive anything you want as long as your operating as Personal use only.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:11 AM   #39
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I'm speaking from my opinion only, so don't shoot the messenger. LOL

Since this state run system is so convoluted and varied. I can see the day coming, in conjunction with maintaining the federal interstate highway system, for federal standards to be set. Adapting the state's system to this federal system will be driven by receipt of federal highway dollars on road ptojects. Probably won't nobody going to be happy with this, but at least we'll all be the same towing-wise wherever we live, register our vehicles, or drive.

Like I said, just my opinion. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

The first step toward a "federally managed system" is already in place. It's called reciprocity. The federal government mandates that all states recognize each others driver's license, state registration and titles for motor vehicle operation. They are in the process of doing that with other items, such as gun ownership and possession laws.

It would be great, from an operator viewpoint, if the requirements were the same in every state, but once the feds take over management, my concern would be the ability to keep the program from growing so large that nobody understands it or has any ability to change it..... Yeah, I know, sort of like it is now at the state level...... Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote