Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2023, 05:24 PM   #1
Raptor Dave

2023 Raptor 352 slide

Kitchen slide is acting funky. Seems to always go out but coming back in is hit or miss. Talked with Keystone and they said the motor needed to have 12.8V minimum for the slide motor to work. I've been able to pull them in with less volt on rare occasion. Supposedly there is a limit switch in the motor that is self resetting if you try to pull it in with less than the 12.8. Some type of a safety feature for the motor. We have well over that in voltage now @ 13.6-8 most times.
We've tried the home panel in the 5th wheel and both of our phones with the keystone app to no avail. Everything else seems to work perfect.
My guess is either the motor is bad or there is a bad wire connection somewhere. Any other suggestions for trouble shooting are appreciated.
I'll be getting my multi meter out when I get back home and try the wire testing for power to the motor.
My thought is they should have run one single wire from the fuse box to the motor. Correct me if this may be wrong so I can check other places for a possible break and disconnected wire.
Thank you in advance.
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:32 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

What type of slide mechanism is it? Motor will have 2 wires going to it and the switch simply reverses polarity to make the motor turn one direction or the other.

You’ll do better with a DC amp clamp at the motor.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:47 PM   #3
Raptor Dave

Thanks for welcome. Not my first forum but first here.
I was told by keystone it is a Norco system. Our first cable style slide.
I really need to pull the front board off and I can tell you more about what I have.

What is a DC amp clamp you speak of?
Old 08-29-2023, 06:35 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Norco is a cable slide. Either Accu slide or exact slide. Accu slide has the motor and gearbox above the slide, no controller. Exact slide has a controller like Lippert’s schwintek system.

A DC amp clamp is a meter that “clamps” around a wire and measures amps.

I have a different brand:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...L390/312649921

AC is 120V household current
DC in this case is 12V

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:44 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

That Klein AC/DC "Amp clamp" is a great tool, and if you're looking for something that's reliable for long term daily or constant use, a good investment. On the other hand, if you'll only be using it once in a while, as a "home DIY guy" the $100 price is a bit high.

If you want a "not as professional with all the bells and whistles" and much cheaper alternative, there are several on Amazon that have the same "AC/DC Amp measurement capability" without the Klein name. I bought one from Amazon several years ago and it's been a reliable tool for my "occasional use" type of electrical measurments. Mine is no longer available on Amazon, but there are several that are in the $35-45 price range. If you decide to buy one, be sure it measures AC and DC current (amps). Otherwise, it won't work on your 12 volt trailer system. Here's one alternative you might consider: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9M213TY...T1zcF9kZXRhaWw

I'm not suggesting that Klein won't do a good job. It's a great amp clamp. But the "occasional home repairman" typically doesn't need the "latest and greatest tools (and cost) to have a tool available at home for occasional use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:35 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I looked in my box I have this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/cm610a...ter-64015.html

Old 08-30-2023, 08:07 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's the one I bought about 4 or 5 years ago. At that time, it was $28, but is no longer available on Amazon. It's still working great, but spends most of its time in the case on the shelf. In other words, I seldom use it... That reminds me, I need to change the two AAA batteries in it so they don't corrode and ruin the meter...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are several "comparable meters" on Amazon for around $35-40.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC Amp Clamp.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	45006  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-30-2023, 03:19 PM   #8
Raptor Dave

Thanks guys for the clamp info.
Even tho it was 110 today outside the 5th wheel I sucked it up went inside and pulled the fascia board off.
It is a BAL accu slide system.
Here we go again....when we returned home Sunday I opened the slide but it would not come back in. The voltage was well over the 12.8 limit @ around 13.6-8
Today after removing the face board to look at the motor and gear box I decided just for the heck of it I would try to bring the slide in.
It now works perfectly moving in and out multiple times. The voltage is the same as it was when we returned Sunday so I don't believe that is the issue.
Tomorrow or after and during our next road trip who knows??

So...this DC clamp meter. How would I use it on this motor/wire system to figure out where there may be a problem?
If it is something in the motor that is making it work sporadically, Is it possible to just replace the motor or is it connected to the gear box in a way that the whole thing needs to be replaced?

Thank you for any suggestions and help.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:49 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

You set the meter to DC amps. Put it on one of the motor leads and have someone press the extend. If it’s on the wrong wire switch and hit extend again. Then switch wires and press retract.

Readings should be close. You can replace just the motor:

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-R25075-Ac...3450102&sr=8-3

Old 08-30-2023, 07:05 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a thought....

So far, we haven't discussed "the elephant in the room"....

Does your trailer have the InCommand control system ????

If it does, have you done a "system hard reboot" ??? The InCommand system has a "solid reputation" for not working correctly after being powered on with a lot voltage source... If you had a overnight stay without shore power and ran off the batteries, if they dropped output voltage slightly, but enough to "trigger a error" in the InCommand system, then that may very well be the only problem with your system...

So, if you have InCommand, try a "hard reboot" by unplugging from shore power, disconnecting the battery system AND disabling the solar system. In other words, REMOVE ALL POWER FROM THE TRAILER, turn the InCommand off, let it sit for a few minutes, then reconnect power and reboot the system.

That may be all it takes to fix your slide movement issues.....

Worth a try, and it's cheaper than even the "amp clamp" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-31-2023, 07:59 AM   #11
Raptor Dave

OK...
Yes, we have the in command system. I will try the hard reboot, however, it makes no sense that everything else on the command system works fine but my kitchen slide is the only one effected AND it is only for the slide to retract and come back in. It goes out perfectly every time. Just "sometimes" it decides "I'm not coming back in ?!?!?" and I have to use the emergency tool to bring it back in.
We also use a Hughes watchdog surge protector at every campsite we hook up at. It has thrown several errors at random sites we've camped at and I either move sites or have the camp repair man come over and fix the error.

Again...when we came home Sunday the battery was at 13.6-8 and the slide went out but would not come back in. After sitting a few days till (Wed) at the house and plugged into shore power and the battery was still at the 13.8 range it now has decided to work as it should and all I did was pull the fascia board off to expose the motor/mechanism.
This is a very frustrating situation because it is hard to chase a problem that now does not exist.

I now just want to do this....
Old 08-31-2023, 09:16 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Find the InCommand BCM ( body control module) probably in the front storage area. It will have a series of relays, and they may be labeled. Make sure they are all fully seated. Switch the extend/retract relays and see if it acts up extending. If so the relay is the issue.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:42 AM   #13
Raptor Dave

OK Thanks for relay info......
Yes, today the weirdness continues...Yesterday everything worked fine on the kitchen slide. Now today, after doing absolutely nothing any different the slide will not come back in.
I believe it to be the relay you are talking of. With everything so quiet out and around the trailer when I was pushing the "in" button I could hear a clicking noise and traced it down to the command board in the storage area. It just clicks when the in button is administered.
I have not yet pinned pointed which relay it is but will do this a little later today as I have other pending obligations for now.

edit.....I took a quick look in side the box and could not see where the relays are marked. They all look to be the exact same type of relay so I may have to just pull them 1 at a time and see if the clicking stops?? and then replace it with another one?

If it is the relay, any idea where to pick these up at?

Thank you for any help and suggestions.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:46 PM   #14
Raptor Dave

So this gets a little weirder as I go....
The relays on the top right of the board are the ones clicking. I pulled one out of the bottom section and replaced everyone of the relays in the top right but to no avail. HOWEVER, Now the sofa slide will only come in but will not go out.
The bed slide is still working in and out as of typing this.
I'm really at a loss now as all of the relays were replaced in the same place they came out of on the board.

Every time I think I'm one step closer I get 2 steps backwards.

Old 08-31-2023, 03:24 PM   #15
Raptor Dave

Tried the system reboot to no avail.
Still the same thing....No in for the kitchen slide and now no out for the sofa slide.
There is a clicking noise on the relay board for both ops but no movement happens.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:33 PM   #16
Raptor Dave

I think I run into a bad batch of relays used on my trailer.
I switched the lefts with rights and now the kitchen comes in but won't go out and the sofa goes out but won't come in.
Was able to find some exact replacements at http://www.Jameco.com for 2.49 ea if I ordered 10. (extras for the future )
Hopefully I'll be able to kick this to the curb in a few days when the new ones arrive.

Can't say thanks enough times for the input and help.
Old 09-05-2023, 01:14 PM   #17
Raptor Dave

My package of new relays came in today!
Quick shipping after the order was placed. They're located in California so it wasn't but a couple days in transit once it was placed in the system.
Even tho some of the original relays were still working I just pulled all 6 of the slide relays and threw them in the trash. Installed 6 new ones and so far everything seems to work like it should.
Slides go out.....slides come in!
I'll report back in the future if anything changes.
Mind you....this is a 2023 Raptor.
I stick by original belief that they run into a bad batch of these relays that have come from an overseas provider.

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Old 10-12-2023, 10:42 AM   #18
356Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Dave View Post
Tried the system reboot to no avail.
Still the same thing....No in for the kitchen slide and now no out for the sofa slide.
There is a clicking noise on the relay board for both ops but no movement happens.
FYI
A true reboot is disconnecting all 110v and 12v power PLUS pressing a small silver button located in the clear command distribution panel. The button is located in the middle of the board…
356Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor, slide