Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2023, 07:23 AM   #1
Tik

2020 Raptor 354 Key TV Booster not working

Hello

I have a Raptor 354 with the Key TV system. Just purchased a couple of weeks ago. I'm unable to pull local over the air channels after scanning multiple times. I know there are locals and I should get around 15 or so channels.

Previously I had a Jayco Toy Hauler and it had a boost button to push for over the air. From what I've read the Key TV system eliminates the need for a booster and I have not been able to find one anyway checking all switch panels by TV's etc.

Anybody have experience with this issue? I think the people that owned it before us were full time so may have been hooked up to cable. Only reason I say this is there is also a Furrion WiFi box mounted just going up the stairs into bedroom.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

The KeyTV system hasn’t had the best reviews since its introduction. You need to locate the module and see if the blue light is on indicating that it’s receiving 12VDC needed to operate.

Next is to remove the module and verify which coax is which, making sure they aren’t shorted out and connected firmly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:06 AM   #3
cw raptor

I have the same trailer and the same issue. Had it into the dealer and they say no issue they could find. Almost never works...just at the dealer....
cw raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:36 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw raptor View Post
I have the same trailer and the same issue. Had it into the dealer and they say no issue they could find. Almost never works...just at the dealer....
The OP's problem was OTA TV reception and not being able to get the TV channel scan to find any local stations. You say you have a similar problem.

I'd suspect that if it works "at the dealership" but does not work "at your location" then the "different location" may be, at least, a part of your problem. Some places where people park RV's puts them in a "orientation of the rooftop antenna and other things on the roof" that blocks reception. As an example, your air conditioner may be blocking the antenna from getting the digital signal from the transmitter, and it's "all in how your trailer is parked". This can sometimes be a problem "in the RV" while the house antenna gets "perfect reception" because of a different antenna "line of sight location"...

Have you towed the trailer to a location other than where you have tried to scan for channels? It may be that your rooftop antenna is not "large enough or sensitive enough" to pull a signal where you have it parked? Possibly, you could tow it to a different place, maybe a nearby campground, and see if you get similar results? If in a campground, once you're set up and have done the scan, you could compare "your TV reception to the reception people around you are getting?

Then again, it's also possible that the dealership just didn't do a "complete and thorough troubleshooting process and it worked, but they didn't have the same "conditions" as what you have at home.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:42 AM   #5
cw raptor

Thank you for the reply.
I have had the unit work and then not work having never moved the trailer, so I believe there is an internal issue. I did check the blue light and it is always on.

I had one tech tell me the master units (the one with the blue light) have had issues. However, Keystone would not cover the repair because they could not replicate the issue.

We bought a fire stick and use that most of the time instead of paying for a new unit to "test" the theory.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:48 AM   #6
Tik

I plan on buying a new Key TV unit and installing as a last resort. Wish you could find one online to buy but looks almost strictly a dealer purchase.

My blue light is on so there is power. I pulled the unit near the water/fill control panel and checked the connections and they all look to be in good working order. Went up on the roof and I have the Weingard 360+ antennae. No way to remove it as there is self leveling roof sealant all around it but looks pretty pristine besides some light weather.

Testing it near my house and no channels found on any of the TV's. I know from past experience with other RV that there are plenty of channels to pick up. So it's not lack of availability. I miss the old boost button for sure.

Also did the same with our fire stick and hot spot phone to get TV to work with no issues.

I would really love to find an OEM parts house that you can just order parts. Coming from a UTV background you could go onto their site, look at the factory drawings and order what ever part you need. Someone like Rocky Mountain ATV. Wish RV's had something similiar but nothing I've found besides accessories.

I'll update if I can get it working to tell you what I did.

Regards,
Old 08-21-2023, 07:12 AM   #7
Tik

Update on the issue and fixed.

I had the dealer order a new KeyTV module and installed it.
Scan and picked up about 40 local channels so all fixed.

I did open up the circuit board on the defective unit and it didn’t have any obvious shorts. It did have a fair amount of residue on the board. Could be corrosion or left over from the wash. I work I. Electronics manufacturing and nothing we do would leave a board that dirty. Could have caused a short.

New module was $105 plush shipping.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-21-2023, 07:30 AM   #8
cw raptor

Thanks Tik, sounds like I will be ordering one also.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:38 PM   #9
Vet4jdc

I had the same issue. Could not pickup local stations. Replaced the KeyTV module with one online and now we get about 45 stations locally. 2019 Montana.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:26 AM   #10
HeadHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tik View Post
Update on the issue and fixed.

I had the dealer order a new KeyTV module and installed it.
Scan and picked up about 40 local channels so all fixed.

I did open up the circuit board on the defective unit and it didn’t have any obvious shorts. It did have a fair amount of residue on the board. Could be corrosion or left over from the wash. I work I. Electronics manufacturing and nothing we do would leave a board that dirty. Could have caused a short.

New module was $105 plush shipping.

Thanks for the help
I had the same issue with our new Cougar. The dealer sent me a new unit which I installed and it worked great.... for about 3 weeks. Same issue again, so now the dealer wants to pull the Winegard 360 off the roof and check coax for shorts or possible issue with the antenna itself. I hope you have better luck. I also think if it gets fixed, I'll install a power off switch for it. It doesn't need to be on 24/7 when the trailer is parked for weeks between trips.
HeadHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 02:03 PM   #11
Tik

When in storage I just shut the power off to the RV. It is on when pulling or traveling though. Shut off right by the valves etc.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #12
RStarkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
I had the same issue. Could not pickup local stations. Replaced the KeyTV module with one online and now we get about 45 stations locally. 2019 Montana.
Where did you get your module? Was it Keytv or s similar piece?

Thanks Rick
RStarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 12:16 PM   #13
Tik

I had to go to the dealer to get it. They were pretty clue less so take your existing module out or take some pictures. The part number is on the back.

Took about a week to come in. $105 plus shipping. I went to RVs.com

Checked 5 local dealers and none of them had it except the factory. I also scoured the web and it’s a part specific to Keystone from what I can tell.

Tags
raptor