Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

You don't mention the manufacture date for any of the tires. If your information on your profile is correct, your trailer is a 2016 model. It "could have been manufactured as early as March 2015 and the tires installed on it could have been made months prior to that, so it's possible that your tires were actually manufactured in 2014. That would make them "pushing 3+ years" since manufacture. That's to say nothing of how the transport driver towed your trailer (underinflated or over speed) when the trailer was delivered. to your dealer or whether the trailer sat on his lot with "underinflated tires" as he dragged it around during repositioning. It's difficult to say that the tires were properly cared for while in his possession and we can't say that they weren't. We just don't know.

You can make lots of assumptions about Trailer King tires, we all can, but none of us can predict that a "known poor quality tire" will or will not perform without incident. For me (your views may differ) it's just not worth the risk for such a small investment to eliminate the problem.

When you "do the math" on buying new tires vs using TK's for another season, realize that Carlisle HD load range E tires are $67 each at WalMart. Someone said that WalMart installs tires bought there "free of charge" (I don't know if that's true) but when you consider that the insurance deductible for most RV policies is $500, the cost of new tires is about half the price of "gambling and losing".....

You're the only one who can make the decision on whether you want to risk TK's or upgrade before something happens.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Just to add a bit of humor (if your thinking is like mine) to the mix: The DOT markings on Eastham's tires is Dot ADB4. HSFT. I wonder if that stands for "Awful Damn Bad x4" and "Holy Smokes Failed Tires" ???

I know, I know. I'll go back to my room......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #43
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When you "do the math" on buying new tires vs using TK's for another season, realize that Carlisle HD load range E tires are $67 each at WalMart. Someone said that WalMart installs tires bought there "free of charge" (I don't know if that's true) but when you consider that the insurance deductible for most RV policies is $500, the cost of new tires is about half the price of "gambling and losing".....
Just as an FYI- Walmart will not mount and balance them free of charge- They charge ~$8-10 (depending on your location) per tire for mounting and lifetime balance, if you will ever want to take them back to re-balance them. I had Walmart mount and balance mine in August, where I then took them home and installed them myself, so I could verify they were properly torqued.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #44
Eastham

Ok thanks for all the good advice it will be new tires befor the trailer moves again I usually don't take chances with tires that is why I was questioning trailer kings with 4 to 5 hundred miles on them in the first place thanks for the good advice John and with the secret code that JRTJH found on the tires really did it.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
Ok thanks for all the good advice it will be new tires befor the trailer moves again I usually don't take chances with tires that is why I was questioning trailer kings with 4 to 5 hundred miles on them in the first place thanks for the good advice John and with the secret code that JRTJH found on the tires really did it.
Very good choice IMO. I would suggest moving to the LRE tires, and it wouldn't hurt, but with your gvw at 7700 it would probably be overkill; on the other hand.....? I had the exact same tires as you and they started imploding at 2 years. I moved to the Carlisle HDs in LRE and have been more than pleased.....but my gvw is 10k.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #46
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Just as an FYI- Walmart will not mount and balance them free of charge- They charge ~$8-10 (depending on your location) per tire for mounting and lifetime balance, if you will ever want to take them back to re-balance them. I had Walmart mount and balance mine in August, where I then took them home and installed them myself, so I could verify they were properly torqued.
I just bought a trailer tire from Walmart. They removed the old tire and mounted the new tire. No charge. Since it was a 13” tire for a small 4x8 trailer I use around the casa, it wasn’t balanced...if that makes a difference.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #47
gearhead

I ordered my last 5 Carlisles for the boat through WalMart.com. Somewhere on that site they said "no charge for mounting". When I had them mounted at my local store I got the "blank look" when I told them no charge for mounting. The auto shop manager did a little digging and then agreed. I had mine balanced. Charge for balancing for 5 tires was $69.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #48
Gegrad

Yeah, I ordered my 5 Carlisles through Walmart.com as well. My order sheet did not mention any free mounting or anything.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires