Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #21
gman1966347

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
None of Bridgestone's 16" R250 tires qualify for use on your trailers axles. Look-up the Montana specs for your trailer (http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-y...tana&year=2013). Read the reference in my post #14.

One of the first indications of steel cased tire failure will be tiny strands of steel cable protruding from the tires sidewall.
Your right again, these are not trailer tires! I am aware of the specs on my trailer. They are "LT" tires. I am done with "ST" trailer tires. I had lots of failures with the china bombs and the like. These are runners for reasonably heavy use. I have run into several people that had them on and really liked them. Then I did a search and read that alot of people have had good luck with them and a pretty decent life. I was averaging 3 years on trailer "ST" tires on all of my rigs. These tires have had the lowest running temperature and consistent pressure on any of the tires that I have had! My other "ST" tires ran hot and pressures climbed quite a bit! The bridgestones will see 100 degrees tire temp, on a hot day and maybe an increase 5-8 psi ! The "ST" tire would run 110 to 115 degrees and increase psi 10 plus!!
gman1966347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #22
Zappa

I had the Trailer King 235/80/16 ST on my Toyhauler. They are an E rating 10 ply tire but I was nervous about running at highway speeds with them. A friend has a 42' Voltage that had a similar tire on it that blew out and took all kinds of stuff out on his slide. He decided to go with the 235/85/16 Gladiator on his trailer. They are a 14 ply tire designed for Semi tractor trailer use. I decided that was the way Im going also. I just had them installed last week. They are a little overkill for my 11000 lb trailer but I think they were a good investment. I bought 5 of them.
1995 Honda Goldwing
Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #23
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1966347 View Post
Your right again, these are not trailer tires! I am aware of the specs on my trailer. They are "LT" tires. I am done with "ST" trailer tires. I had lots of failures with the china bombs and the like. These are runners for reasonably heavy use. I have run into several people that had them on and really liked them. Then I did a search and read that alot of people have had good luck with them and a pretty decent life. I was averaging 3 years on trailer "ST" tires on all of my rigs. These tires have had the lowest running temperature and consistent pressure on any of the tires that I have had! My other "ST" tires ran hot and pressures climbed quite a bit! The bridgestones will see 100 degrees tire temp, on a hot day and maybe an increase 5-8 psi ! The "ST" tire would run 110 to 115 degrees and increase psi 10 plus!!
I'm seeing 88-90 PSI and 95-98 degrees on a 95-98 degree day with my Maxxis ST's in 235/80-16 LRE while driving @ 60-62 MPH. Initial tire PSI was 79-80 @ 72 degrees.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #24
alsdas88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
I had the Trailer King 235/80/16 ST on my Toyhauler. They are an E rating 10 ply tire but I was nervous about running at highway speeds with them. A friend has a 42' Voltage that had a similar tire on it that blew out and took all kinds of stuff out on his slide. He decided to go with the 235/85/16 Gladiator on his trailer. They are a 14 ply tire designed for Semi tractor trailer use. I decided that was the way Im going also. I just had them installed last week. They are a little overkill for my 11000 lb trailer but I think they were a good investment. I bought 5 of them.
Gladiator tires might look good on paper, but after reviewing comments on other forums and looking over reviews on Amazon, please be careful and not over-confident while using Gladiators. They have terrible reviews and well known failures with tread separation.
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #25
CWtheMan

Quote:
I still suspect your trailer's axles are rated at 6300# GAWR. If not the keystone specs for the 2013 model are incorrect. They list your trailer at 15000# with a published hitch weight of 2410#. That means the tires must be capable of carrying 12590# which your current tires cannot qualify for. Maybe the specs on your trailer were adjusted by deducting some cargo capacity to get the load on the axles down to 12000# for 6000# axle fitments?

But, the bottom line is you avoided using tire industry standards with your replacements in that they are way below the load carrying capabilities the OE tires provided when fitted to your trailer's axles. There were other more suitable options that would have kept you inside of the safety circle and complied with NHTSA & tire industry safety standards.

This is not a bash against the Bridgestone steel cased tires. They are a solid design for their intended purpose. All tires are, at a minimum, what they say they are on their sidewalls. 3042# maximum load capacity at 80 PSI is tops for most of the R250 tires, some are less.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #26
gman1966347

Here's a good read for you........

I've been searching for ST vs. LT info...
I found this on another forum and thought it might be worth the read...

Portion of a post by Mike Mitchell, NuWa (HitchHiker) CEO in a discussion regarding trailer tires on the NuWa Owner's Forum.

As we banter about regarding tire types and loading, I believe that we are finally starting to understand a few important things.

I have asked many times for someone to explain how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire in a similar size, without a good answer.

The answer lies in what is called reserve capacity. To quote from Trailer Parts Superstore and this same statement exist on just about every tire site:

HEAVY DUTY 'LT' TRUCK / TRAILER TIRES
'LT' signifies the tire is a "Light Truck/Trailer" series that can be used on trailers that are capable of carrying heavy cargo such as equipment trailers.

If a tire size begins with 'LT' it signifies the tire is a "Light Truck-metric" size that was designed to be used on trailers that are capable of carrying heavy cargo or tow vehicles. Tires branded with the "LT" designation are designed to provide substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo.

So what is reserve capacity? It is capacity beyond the rating of the tire, capacity that is held in reserve. This reserve capacity comes from the heavy-duty sidewall of the LT type tires. LT's rank at the top of the list when we look at P, ST and LT tires.

Now I finally have an answer to how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire of similar size.

The ratings of ST tires infringe into the reserve capacity of the tire. This is double bad, because the design of the ST gives us a tire with less reserve capacity to start with as it has a lighter sidewall to start with as most ST tires are much lighter than their LT counterparts.

To quote one tire site:
"Put a different way, the load carrying capacity of an ST tire is 20% greater than an LT tire. Since durability is strictly a long term issue - and the results of a tire failure on a trailer are much less life threatening than on a truck - the folks that set up these load / inflation pressure relationships allow a greater......ah......let's call it load intensity."

There it is in print to be read. They make a calculated decision to give the ST tire a higher load rating because a failure is less life threatening.

I have on a number of occasions pointed out the weight difference between the different tires and have been told that does not matter. Well it does matter. The rubber in the average tire only makes up around 40 some percent of its weight, the rest is in the steel belts, gum strips, steel beads, and the carcass plies. The remaining 60 or so percent of the stuff in a tire is what builds in the reserve capacity.

So to review again, here are some weights:
1. Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16 LRE (rated to 3042lbs) Weight 55.41
2. Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 LRG (rated to 3750lbs) Weight 57.5
3. Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 60
4. BFG Commercial TA LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 44.44
5. Uniroyal Laredo HD/H LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 44.44
6. GY Marathon ST235/80R16 LRE(rated to 3420lbs) Weight 35.4

So which tires on the list have the most reserve capacity? Well that is not a completely simple answer, as one of the tires is a G rate 110 lb tire and the rest are LRE at 80lb inflation. So if we disregard the G614, then the Michelin XPS RIB and the Bridgestone Duravis R250 due to their all-steel ply construction will have the most reserve capacity inherent in their construction. The twin Commercial TA and Laredo will be next and the Marathon would have little or no reserve capacity available because it was used up in its higher load rating, AND because of it's much lighter construction it had much less inherent reserve capacity to start with.

So what have we learn from this?

I think that the first thing that we learned was that a LT tire can be used at or near it max rated loading without having issues, as they built with "substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo".

The second thing we may have learned is why ST tires are failing on mid to larger 5th wheels, in that they do not have inherent reserve capacity beyond that rated max loading. Again this is because they have less reserve capacity to start with and their greater "load intensity" used up any reserve capacity that might have been available.

Now, here is an interesting bit of information. I just called Maxxis Tech Line and asked the weights for two tires.

ST235/80R16 LRD 3000 lb rating at 65 lbs of air weights 38.58
ST235/80R16 LRE 3420 lb rating at 80 lbs of air weights 43.43

What??? The Maxxis load range E tire weights almost the same as the Commercial TA?? This is a ST tire that has heavier construction than the GY Marathon at 35.4 lbs. So it has more inherent reserve capacity due to its heavier construction.

Those that claimed its virtues maybe did not know why it was a better ST tire than some of the others, but there it is! It is a heavier built tire with more reserve capacity.

So as one chooses a replacement tire or is asking for an upgrade on a new trailer please get educated on where the reserve capacity exist. Is it inherent in the tire you choose or do you have to factor it into the weight rating of the tire you choose.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #27
CWtheMan

Quote:
Here's a good read for you........

I've been searching for ST vs. LT info...
I found this on another forum and thought it might be worth the read...

Portion of a post by Mike Mitchell, NuWa (HitchHiker) CEO in a discussion regarding trailer tires on the NuWa Owner's Forum.

As we banter about regarding tire types and loading, I believe that we are finally starting to understand a few important things.

I have asked many times for someone to explain how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire in a similar size, without a good answer.

The answer lies in what is called reserve capacity. To quote from Trailer Parts Superstore and this same statement exist on just about every tire site:

HEAVY DUTY 'LT' TRUCK / TRAILER TIRES
'LT' signifies the tire is a "Light Truck/Trailer" series that can be used on trailers that are capable of carrying heavy cargo such as equipment trailers.

If a tire size begins with 'LT' it signifies the tire is a "Light Truck-metric" size that was designed to be used on trailers that are capable of carrying heavy cargo or tow vehicles. Tires branded with the "LT" designation are designed to provide substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo.

So what is reserve capacity? It is capacity beyond the rating of the tire, capacity that is held in reserve. This reserve capacity comes from the heavy-duty sidewall of the LT type tires. LT's rank at the top of the list when we look at P, ST and LT tires.

Now I finally have an answer to how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire of similar size.

The ratings of ST tires infringe into the reserve capacity of the tire. This is double bad, because the design of the ST gives us a tire with less reserve capacity to start with as it has a lighter sidewall to start with as most ST tires are much lighter than their LT counterparts.

To quote one tire site:
"Put a different way, the load carrying capacity of an ST tire is 20% greater than an LT tire. Since durability is strictly a long term issue - and the results of a tire failure on a trailer are much less life threatening than on a truck - the folks that set up these load / inflation pressure relationships allow a greater......ah......let's call it load intensity."

There it is in print to be read. They make a calculated decision to give the ST tire a higher load rating because a failure is less life threatening.

I have on a number of occasions pointed out the weight difference between the different tires and have been told that does not matter. Well it does matter. The rubber in the average tire only makes up around 40 some percent of its weight, the rest is in the steel belts, gum strips, steel beads, and the carcass plies. The remaining 60 or so percent of the stuff in a tire is what builds in the reserve capacity.

So to review again, here are some weights:
1. Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16 LRE (rated to 3042lbs) Weight 55.41
2. Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 LRG (rated to 3750lbs) Weight 57.5
3. Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 60
4. BFG Commercial TA LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 44.44
5. Uniroyal Laredo HD/H LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 44.44
6. GY Marathon ST235/80R16 LRE(rated to 3420lbs) Weight 35.4

So which tires on the list have the most reserve capacity? Well that is not a completely simple answer, as one of the tires is a G rate 110 lb tire and the rest are LRE at 80lb inflation. So if we disregard the G614, then the Michelin XPS RIB and the Bridgestone Duravis R250 due to their all-steel ply construction will have the most reserve capacity inherent in their construction. The twin Commercial TA and Laredo will be next and the Marathon would have little or no reserve capacity available because it was used up in its higher load rating, AND because of it's much lighter construction it had much less inherent reserve capacity to start with.

So what have we learn from this?

I think that the first thing that we learned was that a LT tire can be used at or near it max rated loading without having issues, as they built with "substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo".

The second thing we may have learned is why ST tires are failing on mid to larger 5th wheels, in that they do not have inherent reserve capacity beyond that rated max loading. Again this is because they have less reserve capacity to start with and their greater "load intensity" used up any reserve capacity that might have been available.

Now, here is an interesting bit of information. I just called Maxxis Tech Line and asked the weights for two tires.

ST235/80R16 LRD 3000 lb rating at 65 lbs of air weights 38.58
ST235/80R16 LRE 3420 lb rating at 80 lbs of air weights 43.43

What??? The Maxxis load range E tire weights almost the same as the Commercial TA?? This is a ST tire that has heavier construction than the GY Marathon at 35.4 lbs. So it has more inherent reserve capacity due to its heavier construction.

Those that claimed its virtues maybe did not know why it was a better ST tire than some of the others, but there it is! It is a heavier built tire with more reserve capacity.

So as one chooses a replacement tire or is asking for an upgrade on a new trailer please get educated on where the reserve capacity exist. Is it inherent in the tire you choose or do you have to factor it into the weight rating of the tire you choose.

This old Mike Mitchell page above has been around for more than 10 years. It's loaded with misinformation and has sections written by a guy named Chris on RV.NET that is a 100% steel cased tire guy. I've commented on it many times over the years and had a few PM conversations with MM about it.

Do some researching, you'll find there are valid reasons why tire (A) is heavier than tire (X).

Uniroyal Laredo's were OEM on many Keystone trailers with 6000# axles in years 2004 & 2005. They failed just like the USA made GY Marathons before and after them.

A tire has no reserve load capacity above what is on its sidewall. If anyone thinks so....SHOW ME!

My truck has a GVWR of 11,500# and I load it to 12,000#, works fine, is that a reserve load capacity or is it in an overload condition? What's going to fail first?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #28
gman1966347

Quote:
This old Mike Mitchell page above has been around for more than 10 years. It's loaded with misinformation and has sections written by a guy named Chris on RV.NET that is a 100% steel cased tire guy. I've commented on it many times over the years and had a few PM conversations with MM about it.

Do some researching, you'll find there are valid reasons why tire (A) is heavier than tire (X).

Uniroyal Laredo's were OEM on many Keystone trailers with 6000# axles in years 2004 & 2005. They failed just like the USA made GY Marathons before and after them.

A tire has no reserve load capacity above what is on its sidewall. If anyone thinks so....SHOW ME!

My truck has a GVWR of 11,500# and I load it to 12,000#, works fine, is that a reserve load capacity or is it in an overload condition? What's going to fail first?
Okay, thank you very much. Have a great day.
gman1966347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #29
DMK

I find it interesting while discussing this topic that nobody once has mentioned having their rig weighed wheel by wheel to see if it's properly loaded, and how often they check their air pressure! You may be surprised how many of you are running down the road over weight... or not having proper tire inflation.

I was at a n RV rally earlier in the year where they had this wheel by wheel weighing service available, surprising how many were running overloaded. It doesn't matter what brand of tire your using if it's overloaded!

As I mentioned wheel by wheel weight not just driving on the cat scale at the nearest truck stop!

Just something to consider while discussing this topic, be safe everyone!

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #30
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
I find it interesting while discussing this topic that nobody once has mentioned having their rig weighed wheel by wheel to see if it's properly loaded, and how often they check their air pressure! You may be surprised how many of you are running down the road over weight... or not having proper tire inflation.
I'll address tire inflation. Since having a TPMS, I found knowing tire pressure to be as simple as knowing the fuel quantity at all times. I turn on the monitor while hitching and by the time I'm done the tire pressures and temps are registering on the monitor. No more running around checking tire pressures with a gage while checking lug nut torque. I can leisurely check torque a day or two prior to departure, if I desire, rather than waiting until the day I leave...and the tire pressures are already checked. My Maxxis tires with metal stems hold air reliably without requiring a top off.

You know, one of the neat things about this TPMS device is that I can check tire pressures in the morning while having coffee inside the trailer before the sun heats the tires.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #31
MBD

I'm gonna blow all of you away - research a 215/75R17.5 and 4800# rating. Yes I had to buy new wheels. Now I have tires that will never wear out and will be replaced only because of age. The added bonus is that I will be able to purchase a spare if necessary from a Roadside Truck Tire repair operation during my travels. (Oh yeah...they replaced the OEM 235/80R16 non-sense from Keystone-same circumference, no fitment problems)
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:01 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBD View Post
I'm gonna blow all of you away - research a 215/75R17.5 and 4800# rating. Yes I had to buy new wheels. Now I have tires that will never wear out and will be replaced only because of age. The added bonus is that I will be able to purchase a spare if necessary from a Roadside Truck Tire repair operation during my travels. (Oh yeah...they replaced the OEM 235/80R16 non-sense from Keystone-same circumference, no fitment problems)
Watch your trailer suspension closely. Some members who have changed to "less flexible sidewall" tires in ply ratings greater than E/F have found that when backing their trailer at extreme angles, the sidewalls won't flex which puts added forces on the spring mounts, springs and shackles. Some have reported damaged/bent components under their trailer.

It seems that going to a "stronger tire" to eliminate tire problems creates a different "weakest link" under the trailer. You may never have a problem, but I'd suggest keeping an eye on your suspension if you do any "extreme angles" when backing your trailer into campsites/storage sites, especially if the tires are on pavement or concrete.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #33
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Watch your trailer suspension closely. Some members who have changed to "less flexible sidewall" tires in ply ratings greater than E/F have found that when backing their trailer at extreme angles, the sidewalls won't flex which puts added forces on the spring mounts, springs and shackles. Some have reported damaged/bent components under their trailer.
Here is what happened to my passenger-side shackles after some to-sharp turns backing into tight sites.

Had a friend make me some new ones to carry as spares and got a nut cutter to get a frozen nut off.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19327
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19328
Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #34
Desert185

Quote:
Here is what happened to my passenger-side shackles after some to-sharp turns backing into tight sites.

Had a friend make me some new ones to carry as spares and got a nut cutter to get a frozen nut off.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19327
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19328
Lots of wear and corrosion on those broken shackles, i.e tick, tick, tick.

Are those spare shackles 1/2"? The 1/4" stock shackles and plastic bushings should be reserved for small utility trailers, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #35
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post

I was at a n RV rally earlier in the year where they had this wheel by wheel weighing service available, surprising how many were running overloaded. It doesn't matter what brand of tire your using if it's overloaded!

As I mentioned wheel by wheel weight not just driving on the cat scale at the nearest truck stop!

Just something to consider while discussing this topic, be safe everyone!

A trailer can weigh differently side to side, however all wheels/tires on the same side will be the same (relatively) if the springs are the same. The only thing that would affect that would be trailer being level (front to back) or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #36
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
Old thread, I know.

My Raptor came with those garbage Trailer Kings. This happen, luckily there was no damage to the trailer.

This happen twice with the Trailer King tires so I decided to up grade to the Good Year Marathons. The first couple years were good and in the third year I had two more blow outs, now with the GY Marathons. On both of these blow outs there was damage to the trailer.

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #37
SmittysRV

I looked at a bunch of different tires to replace the GY Marathons and ended up going with Good Year G614s. My father in-law has run the G614 for some time now and has had great luck. I decided to get new wheels and tires all around. That wasn't cheap, these tires are pricy!!! I'm still dealing with AAA and Good Year on trying to get my deductible reimbursed. Trailer is all fixed on both sides and has a new set of 6 and a spare of new shoes!!!

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:11 AM   #38
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittysRV View Post
This happen twice with the Trailer King tires so I decided to up grade to the Good Year Marathons. The first couple years were good and in the third year I had two more blow outs, now with the GY Marathons. On both of these blow outs there was damage to the trailer.
Even though I don't pull a 3 axle heavy TH, this is more convincing argument that OEM tires are ticking time bombs. My upgraded wheels will be here tomorrow with load d Carlisle HD tires to be mounted by Discount Tire this weekend. Load rating goes from 1760 to 2540 on a much higher quality tire.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #39
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Even though I don't pull a 3 axle heavy TH, this is more convincing argument that OEM tires are ticking time bombs. My upgraded wheels will be here tomorrow with load d Carlisle HD tires to be mounted by Discount Tire this weekend. Load rating goes from 1760 to 2540 on a much higher quality tire.

Wet bolts done or in the future?
Old 02-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #40
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post

Wet bolts done or in the future?
Probably a future upgrade next year. Why do you ask?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote