Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
KHBama

Bike rack

Good morning Guys. I noticed that the new Laredo models now have a 300lb tow package included from factory. My 2017 does not have the tow package. I would like to take a couple of bikes and my daughters small scooter on our trips but I’m told not to install a bolt on rack to the bumper because they are not strong enough. What’s some other solutions? In the past, we just take the kids small bikes and throw them on the bed. They are growing and so are their bikes. Thanks for any input
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #2
66joej

Something like this will work and be safe to mount a bike rack to it.
Curt 13703 Adjustable 3-Piece 72" Wide Black RV Trailer Hitch. Available on eBay.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

I was looking at bike racks as we want to start carrying a couple of bikes. Doing the maths, it started to look like folding bikes was at least as good an option (we haven't bought bikes yet).
Two bikes from Wallyworld $200
A rack to carry a bike rack over the trailer tongue $100+
A bike carrier to actually carry the bikes around $100-200
A pair of folding bikes from Camping world $400 ish

The big plus for me here is that I have a tonneau on my pickup so the bike will be mostly out of the weather when we travel. Also, ther are out of sight and secured. Additionally, having the bikes in the back of the truck means that when we go exploring to a site away from camp, the bikes are with us and I don't have to transfer racks etc. one less step to organise.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Folding bikes are a bit of a compromise. Take it for a test spin of a couple miles and try out some hills. Get a feel for it before you spend $$.

Also suggest looking for used folding bikes.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
daveinaz

We used the ladder mounted bike rack on our previous motorhome and didn't have any problems -- although it took so getting used to seeing the tires sticking out the side view... Since our Montana has no rear bumper and hence no hitch back there, we may do the same thing with it.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitFactor View Post
Folding bikes are a bit of a compromise. Take it for a test spin of a couple miles and try out some hills. Get a feel for it before you spend $$.

Also suggest looking for used folding bikes.
Yes, the DW is a bit skeptical of how they will be to ride. But on the other hand, we don't plan to do any long rides with them, they're just more for getting around CGs and the odd tourist places that are large enough to warrant a bike rather than walking. As for hills, the CW ones have 12 speed gears, so that should help with that.

Used bikes might have been an option if we lived in the US. But when we're there, we are NFA so that makes it a bit tricky to arrange. Not impossible though and we'll look into it.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
Canonman

I'd recommend having a receiver type hitch welded to the frame. Then a receiver mounted bike rack can be used with confidence. Arrangement also allows for the bike rack to be moved to the truck receiver so the bikes can be transported after the Laredo is parked. Very handy when the trailheads aren't close to the campsite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3352.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	20489  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:06 AM   #8
Laredo Tugger

In respect to the OPs original question and offering some other solution, I asked the service tech at my dealer the same question 2 days ago when i picked up my trailer.
I showed him the welded intersection where the "hold the sewer hose" tube (square) and the trailer frame meet and pointed out my concern with both the spare tie and bike rack (also mounted to the "bumper"} bearing weight on those welds.
He said he had the same concern on his TT, pointing to areas that had been more less tacked with minimal welds and recommended upgrading the welds on all the bracket mounts.
I think I am going to drill and bolt both sides of the bumper mounts with carriage bolts (head to the inside so the sewer hose will still travel) and bolt the welded mount where it intersects the trailer frame. A little more work maybe, but it will do the job as I do not have a welding set up.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #9
Canonman

What has been experienced, is that the actual metal of the "square" bumper/sewer hose tube, is way too thin to support the weight and twisting effects of a bike rack that is cantilevered behind the bumper. The meal actually tears away from the welds and may do the same with the bolt reinforcement option. Our SIL experienced this first hand. Fortunately we were following their rig when things started to fail. I was amazed at just how much bouncing movement there is when something (bike rack in this case) is hanging off the back bumper. IMHO it's better to bite the bullet and get a receiver hitch welded to the trailer frame and have complete peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled-7792.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	20493  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:01 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
In respect to the OPs original question and offering some other solution, I asked the service tech at my dealer the same question 2 days ago when i picked up my trailer.
I showed him the welded intersection where the "hold the sewer hose" tube (square) and the trailer frame meet and pointed out my concern with both the spare tie and bike rack (also mounted to the "bumper"} bearing weight on those welds.
He said he had the same concern on his TT, pointing to areas that had been more less tacked with minimal welds and recommended upgrading the welds on all the bracket mounts.
I think I am going to drill and bolt both sides of the bumper mounts with carriage bolts (head to the inside so the sewer hose will still travel) and bolt the welded mount where it intersects the trailer frame. A little more work maybe, but it will do the job as I do not have a welding set up.
Thanks
RMc
If you have a welder You'd be better off to fabricate a good receiver hitch than to try to weld that tin like rear bumper. The bumper was designed to carry the heavy load of your sewer hose.......
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
gearhead

I'll pass on the folding bikes. They have "grandpa" written all over them. LOL
I would get the Curt hitch and have that installed.
I had a custom bumper with a receiver fabricated. It wasn't cheap. I have an old thread in here about it. In retrospect, the Curt would have been a better deal.
But...I did use a clamp on receiver on the OEM bumper to carry a fairly light beach cruiser bike from Houston to Ohio, and back.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
retiredusps69

Why not check you local auto junk yard for a receiver. Measure rails then check trailer rail width. Also check how much ground clearance you will have if you install under bumper. I installed plastic fence post with caps under trailer along frame rail close to dump valve.Now I have to figure where to mount spare it is mounted to the tin can bumper it shakes like crazy going down the road.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
Number 4

Two other options for your consideration.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front-hitch-bike-rack-flagstaff-ford-f-super-duty-power-stroke-turbo-diesel-integrated-brake-sys.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	20495   Click image for larger version

Name:	front-hitch-bike-rack-best-front-hitch-bike-rack.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	20496  
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #14
Number 4

And one more...

https://www.gripsport.com.au/product/expanda-van-rack/
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
Cbrez

We put a front bumper (snow plow) receiver on the truck similar to pic posted above. Makes you approximately 24” longer, but is a good solution otherwise. Folds up once you get to CG. Easy loading too. Bike seats are attached by quick release clips so DW can see over the bikes when driving. We also set up the bike rack so handle bars for both bikes are facing passenger side.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #16
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you have a welder You'd be better off to fabricate a good receiver hitch than to try to weld that tin like rear bumper. The bumper was designed to carry the heavy load of your sewer hose.......
As stated I do not have welding equipment. The spare tire is mounted to the bumper that is only designed to carry the sewer hose.
???....
And to fit an aftermarket hitch to the frame will put the bikes in the center of the trailer, The bikes fit now (off center) with the spare.
Going for the bolts.
RMc
Old 02-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #17
slow

This is the one I have considered if I had to move my bikes out of the truck bed:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...an/S80503.html

I already have this: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...an/S64670.html
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #18
Laredo Tugger

Agreed slow,
i will look to see if the rack I have (identical to the one you have) can be mounted to the front of myTV.
Not my first choice but may have to consider it verses the rear "bumper",aka the sewer hose holder. Right now considering adding bolts to the rear bumper mounts.
Question for the masses,do the bikes make any difference on air flow for engine cooling when mounted on the front of a TV?
Thanks
RMc
Old 02-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #19
leroyg

bike rack ideas

I have a 2019 330 Laredo and wanted to mount the bikes in the rear yet knew the bumper would not take the weight. I took the idea of bolting onto the existing frame and catching the bumper as well to give it extra support.
I had the rack welded to the new HD tubing and bolted custom rack frame
to frame. I posted pictures about a month ago. hope this helps
leroy
leroyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #20
gearhead

I have a Curt receiver on the front of my truck. I use it with a bicycle rack when traveling with the cabover. Just put the handle bars on the passenger side. The bicycle does get pushed back toward the truck by the wind. I've got some CPVC to make a stand-off brace, haven't used it yet.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack