Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2017, 04:50 AM   #1
Double b

2014 Tailight replacement

Can anyone let me know what name brand these tail lights are? I need to order the plate side as the plate broke off in a windstorm this winter at the storage yard. Must have been the wind and cold climate that caused the crack.

Or if anyone has a mod for this problem it would be great. The light works and is sealed. Just need to mount the plate under it for the lighting requirement by law.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail Light.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	13029

Name:	Tail Light 2.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	13030

Was going to mount it to the spare tire, but light in the area for night illumination requirements by law.

I though about creating an aluminum mounting plate that would sandwich between the light housing and trailer. With the mounting bracket for the trailer plate sticking out the bottom. Anyone done this and is there any issues with doing this?

Any information would be great.
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:08 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Have one on my workbench. I'll snap a pic and post on my way out to work.
Cheap enough to replace. I bought 2 so I would have a spare.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:29 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Here you go:

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double b View Post
Can anyone let me know what name brand these tail lights are? I need to order the plate side as the plate broke off in a windstorm this winter at the storage yard. Must have been the wind and cold climate that caused the crack.

Or if anyone has a mod for this problem it would be great. The light works and is sealed. Just need to mount the plate under it for the lighting requirement by law.

Attachment 13029
Attachment 13030

Was going to mount it to the spare tire, but light in the area for night illumination requirements by law.

I though about creating an aluminum mounting plate that would sandwich between the light housing and trailer. With the mounting bracket for the trailer plate sticking out the bottom. Anyone done this and is there any issues with doing this?

Any information would be great.
May want to double check how many wires it has... There are a few different brands, all similar looking, but some have 2 wires and some 3 wires... Here are a couple other options:

3 wire: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...cs/RVST51.html

2 wire: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...30-92-003.html

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2017, 05:52 AM   #5
Double b

Three wire is for reverse light and 2 wire is for only brake light.

Can someone confirm?
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #6
Dave W

Our 5er has Optronics (http://optronicsinc.com/PRODUCTS/RVL...ailLights.aspx) as I found out after some dirtbag in Kentucky swiped a lens. They are real cheap and can be bought through Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Optronics-RV-.../dp/B004RCQVAK)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Optronics, Bargmann and Peterson all have "similar sized" tail light assemblies. They look "almost the same" but the reflector pattern is different on the lens, so if you mount one brand on the left side and a different brand on the right side (and have an obsessive/compulsive disorder) they won't look the same and you won't be satisfied because they 'look different". If, on the other hand, you "just don't care" about the reflector pattern or that they aren't "exactly the same", then just buy whichever brand is available at your local RV store, or what's on sale at the cheapest internet store.

An alternative, if you want to keep them the same is to buy a pair of lights and replace both, that way you don't have "a funny looking left tail light"....

You might consider two other options, first, this is a great time to go to LED tail lights, second, you can always just leave the tail lights and install an additional "license plate light/mount under the existing light. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...cs/LP55CB.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Optronics, Bargmann and Peterson all have "similar sized" tail light assemblies.
As inexpensive as they are, I just bought two identical (and for less then AMAZON). I also couldn't find black so bought the white. Then there is the fact that there is little reflectivity with a black fixture ....

Also, with converting to LED bulbs - you need to match the lens color, i.e. red to match the red lens. This has to light wave length of the LEDs..

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...ype,1157,1,41:
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
As inexpensive as they are, I just bought two identical (and for less then AMAZON). I also couldn't find black so bought the white. Then there is the fact that there is little reflectivity with a black fixture ....

Also, with converting to LED bulbs - you need to match the lens color, i.e. red to match the red lens. This has to light wave length of the LEDs..

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...ype,1157,1,41:
Your recommendation to use red LED's under a red lens, yellow LED's under a yellow lens and white LED's under a white lens will improve light transmission, to a point.

My recommendation when converting to LED's is NOT to just replace incandescent bulbs with LED arrays "INSIDE" the existing tail light fixture, but rather to remove (and discard) the existing tail light fixtures and replace them with appropriate LED fixtures. Just "sticking LED's" inside an old fixture doesn't do much to improve the capacity of people following your RV to see the lights in bright sunlight. Installing appropriate LED tail lights will enhance visibility significantly. I wouldn't waste my time (or money) on putting white or red LED arrays inside the existing fixtures.

Here's what I used and what I did. I now have tail lights that are visible on a bright sunny day and are much easier for anyone following behind me to see and know my intentions. I did it because my DW couldn't see the turn signals when following me on the highway. I thought, "If she can't see my tail lights, can anyone else?" So I searched, found and installed "brighter LED fixtures" that are visible from well over 1/4 mile behind me, even on a bright, sunny day.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...47-84-610.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TAIL LIGHTS.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	13031  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
440justin

Another good full LED option that will cover up any of your current mounting holes is the Bargman 07 Surface mount light. I replaced my OEM ones like yours back in 2014 and the LED has healed up well. They are much brighter and I am now confident that traffic behind me knows my intentions!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Your recommendation to use red LED's under a red lens, yellow LED's under a yellow lens and white LED's under a white lens will improve light transmission, to a point.

My recommendation when converting to LED's is NOT to just replace incandescent bulbs with LED arrays "INSIDE" the existing tail light fixture, but rather to remove (and discard) the existing tail light fixtures and replace them with appropriate LED fixtures. Just "sticking LED's" inside an old fixture doesn't do much to improve the capacity of people following your RV to see the lights in bright sunlight. Installing appropriate LED tail lights will enhance visibility significantly. I wouldn't waste my time (or money) on putting white or red LED arrays inside the existing fixtures.

Here's what I used and what I did. I now have tail lights that are visible on a bright sunny day and are much easier for anyone following behind me to see and know my intentions. I did it because my DW couldn't see the turn signals when following me on the highway. I thought, "If she can't see my tail lights, can anyone else?" So I searched, found and installed "brighter LED fixtures" that are visible from well over 1/4 mile behind me, even on a bright, sunny day.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...47-84-610.html
THANKS! I was just about to ask about converting to LED. My brother was tailing me on the highway and said the lights were very difficult to see.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #12
vampress_me

Another option for the broken plastic tabs is to sandwich a metal license plate bracket between the existing taillight and the back wall of the camper. That's what I did anyway last spring when I had a broken tab. Figured the metal bracket would last longer than the plastic one did. I did have to use my Dremel and modify the edges of the plastic taillight so everything would sit flush like it should. Not hard to do, and just made sure I had some butyl tape to seal everything back up again and silicon for a bead around the taillight like what was there originally. Seems to be working great.

This is a link to the part: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
B-O-B'03

We had a hail storm, last spring and even though the trailer is under a cover the hail was coming from the west and broke the tail light lens on the left side of the trailer.

I purchased Bargman replacements for both, from Amazon, for less than $24 total and had them in 2 days.

-Brian

Tags
light