Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Kcorp

2017 Montana 3731FL weight check

Hello everyone,

I am currently a prospective buyer of a 2017 Montana 3731FL, Keystone's front living room floorplan in their Montana series. I've done some research into the weights and what my specific tow vehicle can haul, but as with anything I could be wrong. Getting onto the numbers:

Tow vehicle; 2016 Silverado 2500HD high country
Crew cab, 4x4, 6.5ft bed, 6.6 LML duramax
Payload; 3,144lbs
Weight; 6,533lbs
GVWR; 10,000lbs
GCWR; 25,100lbs
Max recommended fifth wheel weight 13,900
GRAWR; 6,200lbs
Rear tires rated at 3,195lbs each, multiply by two would be 6,390lbs

Trailer weight; 13,375lbs dry
Pin weight; 2,680lbs dry

I understand that the dry weight is not what the actual weight will be once I put my stuff and cargo in the trailer. I am not intending on using this trailer for camping purposes and I do not intend on taking a wife, 3 kids, and a overly large dog with me on my road trips. I do intend on using this trailer as a place to stay when I go out of town for work. I am a contract welder and I almost always find myself going out of town for work, like right now for example. What I'm getting at is I won't have a ton of things with me other than clothes, basic tools, a few examples of plates, bowls, pots, and silverware, a few game consoles... maybe extra blankets? As far as on board water goes I will not even waste my time with it and I will not realistically have food on board in transit.

I can estimate that with the way this floor plan is laid out, being that a vast majority of the storage space is behind the axles, that my cargo will create a cantilever effect and reduce the pin weight some. Am I correct for assuming this?

Am sorry for such a long winded post, but I felt it was necessary to get all the information that I know out there all at once.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
bagged123

personally, I wouldn't tow that with anything less then a 3500 DRW. You'll be over your payload of the 2500. The new 2500's just don't have the payload or towing capacity of the Montana 5'ers
Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Just with the weight of propane, battery, fuel in tv, hitch and whatever you weigh over 150 lbs. you will be at your max payload. Take your truck to a Cat scale and check your figures ... you may be surprised at your weight ready to travel. That seems to me like a lot of trailer for a 3/4 ton truck. (and I tow with one) I have never seen a trailer at or under advertised dry weight or pin. Once you buy it and weigh it it is too late and I doubt the dealer will scale it for you before purchase. JM2˘, Good luck with your decision, Hank
Old 03-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
Kcorp

Well honestly, that's what I'm afraid the case is. I just bought the truck, though, in October of 2016 so it's still fairly new. I'd hate to trade it in. I have found a used 2016 3500 dually that has 600 more miles than my truck and it is practically my existing truck except that it's a 3500 and it's missing the sun roof and black chevy emblems. I would lose right at 5,000 dollars though.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You're actually in DRW territory. I posted about getting a new 1 ton and had looked at this exact model. We all agreed that it was 1 ton dually territory. GVW on the trailer will approach 17,000 lbs.

You think you will travel with virtually nothing in it but that won't be so. You HAVE to have a lot of things. They will all be stored in the pass thru in the front. Tools, blocks, leveling stuff, sewer stuff, water stuff, stuff and more stuff. The hitch will be a couple of hundred pounds off your payload right off the bat. That would leave you with 2900 and change. Then add about 400 for "stuff". That gets your pin weight in the 31-3200 lb range. You then have to add you (and anyone else that may be in the truck in the future) plus all the things you want to carry.

You don't mention if you have a family. If you do, you have to realize they will be in it at some point. I saw a couple a couple of weeks ago in the RV park; just a COUPLE! 3/4 ton diesel pulling a very nice, heavy 5th wheel (don't remember the model). They had the trailer chock full of "stuff", the bed of the truck was stuffed with a BBQ grill, a tool box and more stuff. They had bicycles on the front bumper and some sort of scooter on the back of the trailer!! I just watched them in amazement.

All of those numbers are pure speculation but it is way too big a trailer for a 3/4 ton IMO. They do make a front living floor plan in the High Country (saves a couple thousand lbs. if I recall) and one in the Cougar line as well (I think). Those would be better places to look I think.

I'm still planning on getting that 1 ton but I wouldn't put that trailer on it...but that's just me. Good luck in choosing something. Don't go by the lowest numbers you can find. Always use the gvw of the trailer....you WILL get there eventually.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcorp View Post
Well honestly, that's what I'm afraid the case is. I just bought the truck, though, in October of 2016 so it's still fairly new. I'd hate to trade it in. I have found a used 2016 3500 dually that has 600 more miles than my truck and it is practically my existing truck except that it's a 3500 and it's missing the sun roof and black chevy emblems. I would lose right at 5,000 dollars though.
Just saw this after my last post. Why don't you look at one of the trailers I mentioned above? They might work for you.

If you just bought the truck in Oct. I understand not wanting to do that deal again.

The Montana is a very nice rig but those that I mentioned are nice as well and might fill the niche you're looking for and save some weight to boot.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quick wooden pencil eval seeing you numbers

TV Payload 3144- 2680 (dry weight) 464 pay load left minus your hitch say 150 now you now have 314 left

minus say you and a drink -200 leaving 114lbs payload left

As stated in a previous post add batteries and propane to the rig and you are maxed out with an empty trailer
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Kcorp

You're right, I have looked at examples of those two model lines and they're nice, but! Just not quite as nice as the Montana lol. But like we've established, I can't get it. I have done research into the high country and cougar line up and between the two I like the 375FL for the monana high country and the 326RDS for the Cougar.

The high country has a dry weight of 11868 and a dry hitch weight 2265 if I remember correctly.

The Cougar has a dry weight a little over 10000 I can't remember an exact number and a dry hitch weight of 1840.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
CarKath

It comes down to what you want more. Truck you have or new trailer. Pick one. Make the other end fit , lol
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
Old 03-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
Kcorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKath View Post
It comes down to what you want more. Truck you have or new trailer. Pick one. Make the other end fit , lol
I think you hit that one on the head lol.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Unfortunately, reality sucks sometimes. Your making an important decision, I'm glad you found the help you were needing.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 03-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at your first post where you indicate the specs for "your truck" those numbers seem to be very familiar from the GM website. If I recall correctly, the payload figure 3144 is the 4x2 WT single cab short bed truck with gas engine. All (and I mean everything) added to the base truck deducts from that 3144 payload.

Later in the thread, you mentioned a 3500 that was equipped the same as your truck except for the sunroof and black emblems. So, I'm going out on a limb here and suspecting that your truck isn't a single cab WT 2WD model.

So, with that in mind, are the numbers you posted actually from the doorpost sticker on YOUR truck or from literature you have "about" the 2500HD ? The specs on the Chevy website for a CrewCab short bed diesel LT list a curb weight of 7462 pounds and a payload of 2513 with a GVW of 10K and a max fifth wheel weight of 13500 lbs with 3.73 axle ratio.

There is a significant difference in payload between the single cab WT and a "fully equipped" LT or LTZ model. As close as you're going to be to your maximum, every pound counts. Speaking of that, I don't think I've ever known a welder that didn't carry at least 300 or 400 pounds of "tools" everywhere he was dispatched for work. In almost any situation, you'd not want those tools inside the trailer and the only "outside storage" is forward of the axles, under the front of the trailer, adding significantly to the pin weight.

I'd urge you to do some verification of your numbers, they just don't seem to be "apples to apples"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #13
CarKath

Quote:
I think you hit that one on the head lol.
If it was me . I'd pick the trailer , that's me. Many personal factors come into play . Enjoy what ever you come up with that fits your life . Good luck!!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #14
66joej

Bite the bullet and get the DRW and the Montana you want.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #15
brad2388

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am currently a prospective buyer of a 2017 Montana 3731FL, Keystone's front living room floorplan in their Montana series. I've done some research into the weights and what my specific tow vehicle can haul, but as with anything I could be wrong. Getting onto the numbers:

Tow vehicle; 2016 Silverado 2500HD high country

Crew cab, 4x4, 6.5ft bed, 6.6 LML duramax

Payload; 3,144lbs

Weight; 6,533lbs

GVWR; 10,000lbs

GCWR; 25,100lbs

Max recommended fifth wheel weight 13,900

GRAWR; 6,200lbs

Rear tires rated at 3,195lbs each, multiply by two would be 6,390lbs

Trailer weight; 13,375lbs dry

Pin weight; 2,680lbs dry

I understand that the dry weight is not what the actual weight will be once I put my stuff and cargo in the trailer. I am not intending on using this trailer for camping purposes and I do not intend on taking a wife, 3 kids, and a overly large dog with me on my road trips. I do intend on using this trailer as a place to stay when I go out of town for work. I am a contract welder and I almost always find myself going out of town for work, like right now for example. What I'm getting at is I won't have a ton of things with me other than clothes, basic tools, a few examples of plates, bowls, pots, and silverware, a few game consoles... maybe extra blankets? As far as on board water goes I will not even waste my time with it and I will not realistically have food on board in transit.

I can estimate that with the way this floor plan is laid out, being that a vast majority of the storage space is behind the axles, that my cargo will create a cantilever effect and reduce the pin weight some. Am I correct for assuming this?

Am sorry for such a long winded post, but I felt it was necessary to get all the information that I know out there all at once.

I pull a 2017 alpine weighing in at 13,200 pounds. Not sure of the pin weight. But my floorplan isnt a front living. I pull with a 2011 f250. And see several around the campgrounds here pulling with a 250.

I also have airbags as well. Although those dont add any numbers to the truck.
Im well in the weight ratings on the rear axle and rear tires so im good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
I pull a 2017 alpine weighing in at 13,200 pounds. Not sure of the pin weight. But my floorplan isnt a front living. I pull with a 2011 f250. And see several around the campgrounds here pulling with a 250.

I also have airbags as well. Although those dont add any numbers to the truck.
Im well in the weight ratings on the rear axle and rear tires so im good.

^^^^^ All the numbers matter....not just the ones we pick and choose. I don't see any Alpine with a weight rating less than about 15k. What model do you have?? Those with a 13.2k dry weight have pins that START at around 2600 which will put your truck pretty much out of the picture if you actually want to meet all your weights. And yes, I see 3/4 ton trucks pulling every manner of 5th wheel in the world....doesn't make it right, legal or sharp - just overloaded.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^^ All the numbers matter....not just the ones we pick and choose. I don't see any Alpine with a weight rating less than about 15k. What model do you have??

3536rl.

The decal on the door states the weight it left the factory at just like it sat at the dealer. No battery no lp and no water. On my door it states 13,2??

Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

If your at 20% for pin that makes it 2640 pounds. I'm thinking your near max if not over.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #19
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
3536rl.

The decal on the door states the weight it left the factory at just like it sat at the dealer. No battery no lp and no water. On my door it states 13,2??

What does your scale ticket state? Weights on my Alpine are on the left side of propane access door. Look that area for weights. See if they vary.( my screen door also has a sticker that shows weights ) Every trailer has a sticker defining weights on the side.

Caveat>>>>> some stickers are not 100 percent true . That is why a scale ticket is paramount and what you should follow.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Brad2388; Just curious you want limit your TV numbers to axle and tire rating , since you are looking at stickers what is the payload listed on the sticker in your truck door? Then given that starting point you can start subtracting.

Just seeing a dry weight of 13,2** and having a 2500 , I would be concerned
Closed Thread

Tags
montana