Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
LFord

Adding 12 VDC outlets to Passport 199ML

Bought a "new" 2016 Passport UL 199ML in late April. This rig has no provisions for 12 VDC plug-ins/outlets in the rig, only 120 VAC. Has anyone added 12 VDC outlets and what is involved?

Also, it does not have an exterior 120 VAC outlet on the door (patio) side. Any experience from anyone on the list with adding one of those?

Thanks.
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
busterbrown

Easy to install a 12 volt socket for a small 50 watt plug inverter or usb charger. Just need to find 12 volt power to tap into. If your needing anything larger than 50 usable watts, it's advisable to run a completely independent line of appropriate gauge wire and fuse. Something like this is what I installed inside a cabinet that contains the antenna booster.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
LFord

Adding 12 VDC outlets to Passport 199ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Easy to install a 12 volt socket for a small 50 watt plug inverter or usb charger. Just need to find 12 volt power to tap into. If your needing anything larger than 50 usable watts, it's advisable to run a completely independent line of appropriate gauge wire and fuse. Something like this is what I installed inside a cabinet that contains the antenna booster.
Yes, that's one example of what I would like to have, as I'd like to be able to run the TV when not on shore power (I have a solar panel set-up to recharge the dual deep-cycle batteries - planning on adding another battery), and have a way to recharge the cell phone, etc. I'd like to be able to boon dock and run a few 12 VDC items.

I suppose I could tap into one of the 12 VDC breakers in the panel box which is installed in the bottom of the cabinet I'd probably install the outlets in. Just looking for examples and hints on the wiring set-up.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
jayhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFord View Post
Yes, that's one example of what I would like to have, as I'd like to be able to run the TV when not on shore power (I have a solar panel set-up to recharge the dual deep-cycle batteries - planning on adding another battery), and have a way to recharge the cell phone, etc. I'd like to be able to boon dock and run a few 12 VDC items.

I suppose I could tap into one of the 12 VDC breakers in the panel box which is installed in the bottom of the cabinet I'd probably install the outlets in. Just looking for examples and hints on the wiring set-up.

Thanks.
I purchased a combination 12V "Cigarette Lighter-style" outlet assembly, combined with two USB power ports and an LED voltage display, on Amazon. The trailer's on-board, 120VAC/12VDC converter is mounted in a centrally located cabinet so I chose to mount the power outlet assembly on the face of that same cabinet This made it very easy to wire to an unused fuse connector in the converter panel. I added a low amperage fuse and the system works well. There are already two USB ports built in to the upper cabinet on the same bulkhead but two more don't hurt and I now have the ability to connect a 200W 12VDC to 120VAC inverter to the 12V port, allowing me to operate the TV when dry camping.

John Hartman
2018 Passport Ultra Lite 199ML
2012 Honda Ridgeline 5000 lb tow rating.
jayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhart View Post
I purchased a combination 12V "Cigarette Lighter-style" outlet assembly, combined with two USB power ports and an LED voltage display, on Amazon. The trailer's on-board, 120VAC/12VDC converter is mounted in a centrally located cabinet so I chose to mount the power outlet assembly on the face of that same cabinet This made it very easy to wire to an unused fuse connector in the converter panel. I added a low amperage fuse and the system works well. There are already two USB ports built in to the upper cabinet on the same bulkhead but two more don't hurt and I now have the ability to connect a 200W 12VDC to 120VAC inverter to the 12V port, allowing me to operate the TV when dry camping.

John Hartman
200 watts of 12 volt power is just shy of 17 amps, so be sure your wiring and fuse will accommodate the power load. With such a short run of 12 volt wiring, you shouldn't need anything heavier than 12 ga wire, but there are only two fuses locations on your power center that are rated higher than 15 amps. Typically those are the bottom two, one used for landing gear/stabilizers and one used for slides. If the spare fuse location is only rated at 15 amps, then the most wattage you can run through it would be about 180 watts. Running a 200 watt inverter and getting "close to max capacity" may blow your 15 amp fuse. The 12 ga wiring would be OK up to about 25 amps as long as the length is under 4', so no problems with the wiring, but you might want to keep some spare fuses on hand or change that fuse for a 12 volt auto-reset breaker.

ADDED: Many of the LED meter/USB port/Lighter socket panels are only rated 2-10 amps. Many inverters rated higher than 150 watts won't run properly in a cigarette lighter socket, which is why they come with both a lighter plug and cable clamps. Watch your panel, if it starts overheating, it may melt the back side of the lighter socket before the fuse blows.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
LFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhart View Post

John Hartman
Thanks for your reply. By the way, how do you like the 2018 199ML? My 2016 199ML was the last model year with the "fixed-position" RV queen bed, and the jack-knife sofa in the slide-out.

I believe yours (as well as the 2017) has the deeper slide-out with the U=shaped dinette, along with a Murphy bed. Does your Murphy bed have a one-piece mattress that swings down or is it one of those "folded-mattress" Murphy beds?

Also, how does the Ridgeline perform when towing the 199ML? I had originally considered a Ridgeline for a tow vehicle, but was concerned with the towing capacity. If I stick with the 199ML, I might consider the Ridgeline once again, as the F-150 is a bit of "over-kill" for my present towing situation.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #7
jayhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
200 watts of 12 volt power is just shy of 17 amps, so be sure your wiring and fuse will accommodate the power load. With such a short run of 12 volt wiring, you shouldn't need anything heavier than 12 ga wire, but there are only two fuses locations on your power center that are rated higher than 15 amps. Typically those are the bottom two, one used for landing gear/stabilizers and one used for slides. If the spare fuse location is only rated at 15 amps, then the most wattage you can run through it would be about 180 watts. Running a 200 watt inverter and getting "close to max capacity" may blow your 15 amp fuse. The 12 ga wiring would be OK up to about 25 amps as long as the length is under 4', so no problems with the wiring, but you might want to keep some spare fuses on hand or change that fuse for a 12 volt auto-reset breaker.

ADDED: Many of the LED meter/USB port/Lighter socket panels are only rated 2-10 amps. Many inverters rated higher than 150 watts won't run properly in a cigarette lighter socket, which is why they come with both a lighter plug and cable clamps. Watch your panel, if it starts overheating, it may melt the back side of the lighter socket before the fuse blows.
Thanks for your feedback regarding wire sizing and power draw. I used #10 wire but have only a 10 Amp fuse in the holder. The TV doesn't draw anywhere near the 200 watt potential of the inverter so everything stays nice and cool.

John Hartman
Old 02-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
jayhart

We really like the 2018 model. The Murphy bed was one of the primary factors, besides overall towing weight and dual axles, that prompted us to buy the unit. The slide out contains the dinette but I can't speak to the depth of the slide out compared to previous versions.
The Murphy bed is a one-piece mattress upon which we place a 2" foam topper. Really nice.
The Ridgeline pulls the 199ML just fine. I have no trouble with hills or highway speeds, although the gas mileage dropped quite a bit once we hit some of the hills in Maine last summer. Not devastating but less than when towing on the flat. My facebook page shows our truck and trailer parked in a nice woodsy spot on the water at the KOA on Mt. Desert Island (Bar Harbor) last summer. No problem getting the trailer in or out, even though there was a serious dog-leg, tree roots and fairly steep grade to deal with. I am very comfortable with the Ridgeline towing the 199ML.

John Hartman

Tags
outlets, passport