Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #41
Frank G

Road funding is an interesting topic especially if it is to remain non political. One of the primary means of funding is the gasoline tax, with the ever increasing fuel efficiency of vehicles and a small percentage of cars using the grid there is less and less tax generated income from fuel sales. With more vehicles on the road the demand for more lanes puts the question to decision makers, more roads or fix the old ones. The population of people and number of vehicles on the road is overwhelming. I am old enough to remember the creation of the original interstate system, it was nice, 70mph, no traffic, no congestion and a Stucky's at every interchange. There are a few miles of the original I-75 in Michigan, concrete well worn and heavily patched. I have a picture of my dad standing next to the governor of the great state of Ohio doing the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Ohio Turnpike. At supper that evening he proudly announced that the day will come when the toll booth's will be removed and it will be free. That never happened, they built new toll booths doubled the tolls and started siphoning off the profits. I guess the bottom line is we the people need to make sure the highways are properly funded and the funds are used for highways.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Speaking of roads that need repair, apparently an overpass at the I-85/Piedmont Avenue intersection in Atlanta just collapsed. This intersection, if I'm thinking of the correct one, is a "nightmare overpass/exchange" with about 6 layers of cloverleafs and multiple lanes of traffic, all converging into about 16 lanes of I-85 and the same number of lanes of I-75. I'm not sure what actually collapsed, but the news broadcast is currently showing a significant "underground fire" that hasn't been extinguished.

If you're planning to travel through that area in the next couple of weeks, plan an alternate route, it won't be open for a while !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #43
chuckster57
Site Team

Happening right now out here on the Left coast. Causing quite the stir among tax payers.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:39 AM   #44
Ddubya

Just traveled US 24 east into Taos NM. Very rough and to make it worse it has some steep grades and tight turns. Impossible to keep your speed up because of the rough road.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:36 AM   #45
John&Genny

Here in Spokane, we are renown for our bad roads. Even President Bush commented on how bad the roads were here in Spokane when he visited our town several years ago A 15 mile section of I-90 had to have it's speed limit dropped from 70 down to 60 this winter because that section was just terrible. Most of the interstate system started in the 1950's and over the years has just been neglected to the state it is now.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote