Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
LewisB

Generator Access w/Sliding Hitch

In all the posts I've seen regarding sliding 5er hitches, I haven't seen anyone mention the advantages related to generator access.

We have a Raptor 3712TS and an F350 DRW long bed. For towing, we don't need a sliding hitch. But I also found that I can't fully open the generator door while hooked up to the truck. We commonly DON'T unhook when in dispersed camping; that means opening the generator door (to check the oil, set the altitude dial, trouble-shoot, etc.) is not possible. I recently purchased a slider for my Reese hitch and I love it. When we park, I slide the hitch to the "maneuvering" position and this gives me full access to the generator compartment. When we leave, I just run it back to the "towing" position and drive away. Just saying...

Hope this might help someone else...
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

You just have to explain what dispersed camping is!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
LewisB

"Dispersed" camping is a term used by the US Forest Service for camping in un-improved areas of the national forest. I've seen "boon docking" and "dry camping" also used for this type of camping. Basically, unless otherwise posted, you can camp anywhere in the national forests (subject, of course, to normal rules like within 300' of a numbered road, on the forest service motor vehicle use map, etc.).
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, hitch