Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

Ladder loose

The trailer is a 2002. The bottom insertion points of the roof ladder appear to have studs in the center and on my camper, these are rusted and have come loose from the ladder. Is there a way to replace or repair this issue? I am not too concerned about using the ladder as I carry a extending ladder that I put OVER the top of the camper ladder (to stabilize) but would still like to fix this issue. You can pull the bottom connections out about 3/4" from the rusty what look like studs.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Do you have a picture of the "studs"? If they are studs then the nuts may be missing? If they were wood screws or lag bolts that the heads have broken off of then I would give the old vice grips a shot.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Stud might not have been best way to describe but there is a round base that is screwed to trailer. There is a bolt or stud captive behind it that goes into the ladder rail and there WAS some sort of expanding mechanism to hold it in the ladder rail; now rusted and gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	18694  
Old 09-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I think the part still connected to the trailer is a mounting flange but I don't know how that's affixed to the tubing.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:37 AM   #5
notanlines

George, by your picture and profile, I believe I'd give that ladder "a good leavin' alone." Once RV'ers reach those two magical milestones in their lives (200 pounds and 60 years old) RV ladders are best left to others. All humor aside, I'd like to see what that mounting flange looks like on the back side. I believe most of those parts are replaceable. (Uh, unlike your body parts)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:00 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

I have one of those collapsible extension ladders I keep in the pass through if I need to get on the roof. It is 12' and I extend it and hang it OVER the ladder on the camper. It is then impossible for it to shift or move. The ladder on the camper is too darn narrow for me to get up and down comfortably.

Did some digging and found out that the rusted thing is not only a screw obviously but a STANDOFF NUT that must expand inside the ladder tube. You can't tell what it was from the picture which shows just rust mostly. This is a standoff tube ladder nut:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Ladder-S...-/161392027436

It seems you likely remove the four screws holding the round mount plate and replace the screw and use a new ladder nut then put the mount plate back and screw it down with some butyl tape behind.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:22 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

At that cost I'd suggest replacing all of them as they are all the same age.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Probably right; moisture/water likely settled more at the bottom of the ladder so they are the ones with the most rust. Guess I could just take the whole ladder down; not sure at this point as the stays have not failed except for the one bottom point but likely the other bottom point is sketchy. I will definitely replace the bottom two for sure.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The lower ladder attachment points probably have drainage built in, either as drilled holes or gaps. Any condensation or leakage would otherwise fill the bottom space and in cold climates, freeze and split the ladder side rails. Who knows over the years whether those drain holes might have been plugged, allowing water to accumulate and rust out the bolts/attachments. There may well be rusted/weakened hardware at other points, both on the ladder top/bottom attachments and where the rungs are attached. I'd be very cautious when using a 15-20 year old ladder, especially without taking it apart and making sure there's no hidden damage/rust/corrosion.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Ladder Loose - REPAIRED!

Bottom fastening points on my roof ladder were loose. I bought a "star nut" kit which consisted of some star nuts and 1/4 stainless screws.

I had to remove the four screws holding the bottom retention plate on each side of the bottom of the ladder. I also had to remove the screws holding the retention plates on the next rung up to be able to pull the ladder away from the back of my rv far enough to work. I scraped old Dicor sealant which had been the sealing method previously.

I found the star nuts and screws on the upper rung just loosened were solid and not rusted. I pulled out the two lower star nuts and screws and tossed them as the star nuts were so deteriorated from rust they were shot.

I took a screw and threaded it into new star nuts and DROVE it into the ladder tube because this is the only way to get one in. The stars are bent over in one direction so you can get them started but they are a tight fit. There was only about 10" of clearance so I used a hammer held sideways and beat both star nuts into the tubes using the screws as a hammering point.

Once the star nuts are driven into the tubes (there are two stars per star nut and both stars need to be in a bit) they will continue in fairly easily compared to getting them started. In any case, you remove the screws, put butyl tape across the backs to cover where the screws go through and install the screws through the retention plates. You can turn the screws in by hand till they are pretty much seated then snug them up with a screwdriver.

I first put the upper rungs back in place and started the screws in the old holes and then tightened. I did have to use a couple slightly larger diameter screws as the old ones spun in their holes in the back wall. Once these are all snug, I drilled 1/8" holes in the back wall as I didn't want to use the old holes for the bottom retention plates. I then screwed the plates down and now have a secure ladder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder5.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	18842   Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	18843   Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder4.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	18844   Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder3.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	18845  
Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
barnmichael

Great information, folks. I just discovered my ladder has similar issues. Now, I just need to locate some of these star nuts. Are these all a standard size? Or must I look for something specific to my trailer? It looks like I just screw the new star nut onto the stud and drive the ladder tube down over it?
Any preferred sources for these nuts? It looks like I may need three of them.
barnmichael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladder