Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
Carlfives

City water leak

We’re out on our 2nd trip ( just 70 miles from home) and we stopped at aKOA campground. I connected to the city water on my Passport and discovered a slight leak dripping from the rear wheel well on the opposite side of the connection. After a few minutes there was water seeping out from under the bathroom floor mounding. I disconnected the city water hose and the leak stopped. We have an insulated shield covering nearly the whole underside, making viewing the plumbing impossible. Anyone had a similar problem and how did you deal with it? I’d appreciate any help.
Thanks
Carlfives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Check all you city water connections under your sinks, toilet and back of toilet (probably the sinks).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
Carlfives

Thanks for the speedy reply. I will check them out in the AM, and let you know what I find.
Carlfives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
FlyingAroundRV

And if you don't already have one, get yourself a water pressure regulator. The lines and joints in a TT aren't really up to handling full mains pressure.
And I'll pass on a story that I read somewhere, possibly on the forums here.
The person who related the story was camped up and a brand new 5er pulled in next to them. The 5er owner went out for the day after setting up and when they came back, their trailer was flooded because a line or a joint had let go and water was running inside the trailer all day.
That story made a believer out of me for having a regulator, and a good one with a gauge.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:18 AM   #5
Tbos

I had water coming out under a bed once. It turned out to be a loose connection on the water heater. It was fine for the first season but must have vibrated loose causing the leak.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
GMcKenzie

Second the regulator recommendation. I've used the cheap ones, and had them fail where I had no water pressure. But I picked up a decent adjustable one with a gauge for this year.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
travelin texans

That thing they may have given you at dealer is NOT a regulator, it's a "restrictor" it restricts the flow in order to lower the volume thereby lowering pressure.
As stated a good quality "regulator" is recommended & always use it at the faucet regardless of park pressures, the reason being if they happen to be on a well the pump could kick on with a blast of pressure.
If the park pressure is lower than the regulator setting it will not affect your pressure, it only regulates high pressures, whereas the restrictor affects ALL flow regardless of pressure.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #8
KSH

I had this same issue, had to replace my city connection, leak was right behind it. I just ordered a whole new panel, removed the old one from the outside. Didn't take long. I have a thread on it somewhere on this forum.

Use the fresh water tank, see if the issue persists.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlfives View Post
We’re out on our 2nd trip ( just 70 miles from home) and we stopped at aKOA campground. I connected to the city water on my Passport and discovered a slight leak dripping from the rear wheel well on the opposite side of the connection. After a few minutes there was water seeping out from under the bathroom floor mounding. I disconnected the city water hose and the leak stopped. We have an insulated shield covering nearly the whole underside, making viewing the plumbing impossible. Anyone had a similar problem and how did you deal with it? I’d appreciate any help.
Thanks
Your trailer has "two" fresh water systems. One is the city water connection and the other is the 12 VDC pump system. THEY ARE JOINED together and the only possible component that could leak with the city water system and not with the 12VDC pump system is the actual city water connector/backflow valve. ANY water leakage on the "inside part of the city water backflow valve would leak both with the city water pressure and with the 12 VDC pump pressure.

Have you put water in your fresh water tank and turned on the pump switch? Did you hear the pump running? Did the pump cycle on/off frequently with no faucets turned on? If the pump cycles, you have an active leak "somewhere in the hot or cold plumbing. If the pump does not cycle and there is no water "dripping from under the trailer" then the only possible component that could cause the leak with the city water but not with the 12VDC pump is the city water connector assembly.

If you are unsure of how to troubleshoot the plumbing system and if your trailer is still in warranty, you might want to contact your dealer's service center. If, on the other hand, you have basic plumbing skills, it's really no different than locating a leak in your house. Any questions, just ask.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #10
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
ANY water leakage on the "inside part of the city water backflow valve would leak both with the city water pressure and with the 12 VDC pump pressure.
^^^ I'd have to disagree with John here. If you don't have a pressure regulator on your city water connection, it's possible for the city mains pressure to be sufficient to force a leak in the trailer that the lower pressure from the 12V pump won't.
Most of the 12V pumps produce about 40-50PSI in the pipes. The city mains can be significantly higher than that and as high as 100PSI or more depending on where you are.
This is what happened to us. We had been camping for about a week with our new trailer when we hooked up to a high pressure main the first time. We sprung leaks under the kitchen and bathroom sinks that weren't there when using the pump. When I disconnected the mains and went on the pump, the leaks stopped. I had to tighten the connectors under the sinks that were leaking to a point that I was afraid I was going to strip them (they're only plastic) to get the leaks to stop.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:02 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
^^^ I'd have to disagree with John here. If you don't have a pressure regulator on your city water connection, it's possible for the city mains pressure to be sufficient to force a leak in the trailer that the lower pressure from the 12V pump won't.
Most of the 12V pumps produce about 40-50PSI in the pipes. The city mains can be significantly higher than that and as high as 100PSI or more depending on where you are.
This is what happened to us. We had been camping for about a week with our new trailer when we hooked up to a high pressure main the first time. We sprung leaks under the kitchen and bathroom sinks that weren't there when using the pump. When I disconnected the mains and went on the pump, the leaks stopped. I had to tighten the connectors under the sinks that were leaking to a point that I was afraid I was going to strip them (they're only plastic) to get the leaks to stop.
I've never seen a leak that stops when lower pressure is applied. The leak gets "smaller and not as much volume" but a leak is a leak is a leak... That said, if a leak occurs with city water applied to the trailer, the next step in finding the leak is to check the 12VDC pump part of the system.

But, if he hasn't yet checked the "entire fresh water system, it's time to do so. I think we'd both agree on that.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak