Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #21
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Our 2018 Raptor 353TS came with the MORryde 4 steps for the main cabin entrance. They are very solid and I love walking up and down them.

HOWEVER, I have a concern with these steps. When the cabin door is closed and the steps are extended, there is a hidden danger. If you ever use your hydraulic leveling system and don't have that cabin door open, you are going to have massive damage to either the steps or the door/frame. Essentially, you will be placing the weight of the trailer on those steps and door!

Here's a real life scenario that happened to me. We had just picked up our new trailer and I was playing around with the IN-Command system [it will control your front hydraulic levelers]. I put my cell phone in my pocket and was doing other things when I "butt dialed" those front levelers and the trailer started going down in front. Fortunately, the door was open, so there was no damage - had that door been closed, I would have destroyed either the steps or the door and frame of a brand new trailer. This is NOT something that the dealer told us. Here's the official warning from MORryde:

Attachment 22473

The fix: 1) take the front leveler controls OUT of the IN-comand system - you don't need it there, use the Level-Up controller for your levelers, 2) log out of In-command when you pocket your phone, and 3) before you do ANYTHING with the level of your trailer, check your doors and make sure they are in the correct position!

Hopefully, this will save someone from very expensive repairs. We love using these steps, but I'm not sure I would recommend them as a retro-fit.
Is there a reason why anyone would play with the auto-leveling system before putting the steps away? That's part of my departure checklist.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #22
Northofu1

I was thinking of going Lippert, but my entry door has the gas shock that connects to the threshold. More homework. I don't like the looks of the glow steps.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:55 AM   #23
Nitehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Just finished the install of the Glow Steps. Not to difficult. I used the old bolts that mounted the steps that were removed. I used a milk crate with cribbing to "catch" the old stairs and place the new ones on the bolt pattern.. Only mistake was putting those bolts in with the threads to the inside. The stairs would not completely store into the docking mechanism, so inverted them. No big deal.
Great tip Merlin, absolutely the best way to install.
Only complaint is the first step is a "doosie". It sits very low from the trailer floor level (maybe lower than OEM steps). DW tried the stairs out and said she could feel that high step making trouble for her ailing hip and knee. I told her to try stepping off backwards. It appears there is no real fix for that without major fabrication.
RMc
Mine was the same on the first step.. I just installed mine last weekend. Took a whole 25 min out of my day. While playing with the I found that by adjusting to distance the bottom step extends from the trailer the height of that first step decreases. Also discovered that there are two locking points . I think one is fully extended and the first one latches . But now with them in place and adjusted I am so glad that I chose torklift as opposed to the Moreride. Another benefit is that I do not have to worry so much about side clearance when parking against anything
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote