Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
mskeyspirate

Issues with led, radio interference ????

I recently installed 2 led reading lights in the bedroom of our camper. These are affixed to the wall, but are not hard wired in. I have them plugged into the normal electrical outlets. I notice that when I turn one of or both lights, the radio signal cuts out considerably. So i did some reading and found out that many led's put out a frequency that is common and causes this problem. There is no danger of fire, or damage to my tt. Has anyone else noticed this, and what did you do to remedy the situation ? I've read a shielded cord, and different bulbs etc. What did you do ?
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
dwall

I changed all my bulbs to led last year and since then any time I’m using my tv on antenna, if I turn on the bathroom light I lose signal. TV is mounted on the bathroom wall (outside of course) and that is the only one that effects it. Even the light right in front of tv does not have an effect. Can’t give you an answer but your not alone.
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Most LED light assemblies have a voltage regulator circuit on the chip. Sometimes a chip will produce interference with the TV signal or with the AM/FM radio signal. Often times, just changing out the LED assemblies with a new one will fix the problem. The easiest way to determine which LED is the "offender" is to use a known good one (one that you can turn on and it doesn't cause the TV problems) and change all the LED's in the trailer, one at a time. If you replace the first and there's no improvement, use the one you took out to replace the second LED, if no improvement, use that one to replace the third, etc. Keep "chain changing" the LED's until you find the culprit.

From the way it sounds, your reading lights are 110 VAC (since you say you plug them into the normal sockets), so you might try moving the lights to the other location. Sometimes just moving the "bad regulator" will get it out of the RF line of interference. If that doesn't work, maybe buy one new LED assembly and replace it in one of the lights, turn it on and see if there is any improvement.

My guess is that you've got a "interfering voltage regulator" on one of the chips.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
ChuckS

Issues with led, radio interference ????

Another suggestion ... since I’m a Ham radio Op is to purchase some ferrite beads and disconnect TV coax at wall plate.

Install ferrite beads on coax and make a couple of small diameter coils in the coax and zip tie or tape to hold shape. Don’t kink coax.

This may “decouple” the RF being generated by the LED across the TV or radio

Additionally a few ferrite beads on the AC power cord to TV and radio may further aid in reducing RF

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, radio