Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
Chuck26287

Picked up the new Alpine... what a day.

Sit back and enjoy a bit of a read…

Well, it was an incredibly exciting AND frustrating day last Saturday (3/30/2019). We picked up our new Alpine 3400RS.This time, our purchase was from our hometown dealership (Modern Trailer Sales in Anderson, IN), so at least it was a local ordeal.To tell you a bit about my wife and I and our RV use, we are not full-timers (not retired yet), but we are very extensive seasonal long-term site campers, and also do travel during the season.The travel ranges from weekend trips with her family at Indiana state parks, to a recent trip to the Grand Canyon and some spots out west.Our seasonal site is a 7 acre private family campground with three 38’ concrete RV pads that started out as 2 acres of overgrown field grasses next to a 5 acre private lake.My parents, my sister and brother-in-law, and my wife and I bought the property and have finally got the property to a level of private campground that we can say is done, although we are constantly doing things to it.Since we all live within 2 miles, we spend pretty much every weekend, plus many evenings through the week there, unless we’re out of town or camping at a state park with the wife’s family.My mother… the property’s matriarch and resident gourmet chef (she has absolutely no understanding of the concept of “camp food”)… proudly named the place Bennett’s Cove.Enough intro.

To start with, we live in central Indiana, where Mother Nature can’t make her mind up about ANYTHING this time of year. We started Saturday morning with finishing the emptying of our trade (a 38’ Avalanche) and hooking up to head across town in the rain.We had to go across some grass/lawn area to leave the campground, as our formal gravel lot entrance is a bit narrow, and has retaining wall sides that would do some serious damage if you didn’t clear them, and at 38’, I’m not sure I could.The ground had tracks, but it was not mushy or anything.Once we got to the dealership, we said goodbye to a great 5er, and headed over to the office to drop off paperwork and start the PDI on the Alpine 3400RS.During the PDI, I proceeded to show the local professionals how experienced an RVer I was by laying my head open on the pin box after inspecting the front storage compartment.Tried to tell them that was not where the pin box on my old 5th wheel was, but I don’t think they bought it.I finished the day with bloody, mated hair.First stupid move of the day behind me.

All went well for the rest of the deal closure, and after reconfiguring the height of my hitch for the new Alpine, we hooked up headed back across town to the Cove to put this on our pad, still in the rain. We got there, and turned off the road and was heading dead ahead for the gravel lot and her pad.Did I mention it rained all day?Second STUPID move happening right here in this story.I never even thought about the ground being even softer than when we left.So you got it… we’re stuck.One ton diesel dually just helplessly spinning down deeper the harder I try to work it out.25 yards from the gravel lot with my concrete pad, and I’m gonna have to be winched out of the mess I got myself into.

No problem… I have Good Sam’s Roadside Assistance for truck and RV! Pull out my card for the number, and card says it expired last July.Crap!I would have sworn I was current, but okay.I gotta get this thing out, so on to regular insurance company towing coverage.$175 to get winched to the gravel.At least the insurance company paid the first $100.The way I was feeling, I was pretty happy to pay $75 to get out of this mess I’d got myself into.

We’re FINALLY on the pad. BEST part of the day happens after I disconnect the truck, and hit “Auto-Level”.I LOVE IT!I’ve always wanted the Level Up system.So, a quick setup on the pad, and I remember they de-winterized the unit for delivery, and I now have a non-winterized camping-ready 5th wheel.This matter, because it’s not raining anymore… it sleeting, and then snowing, with lower 20’s forecast for the night.By the time we were done, there was 1-2 inches of wet, heavy snow accumulated.So, I had to get a handle on the In-Command control of the HVAC systems to keep some heat in the compartments for pipes and so on.Then I find it on the final check before we leave… the rear window has a leak.Steady interior drip that is going to have to be addressed at the dealership.Well, at least it’s just across town instead of a couple hours away.

Earlier today, as I was thinking over all of this, I thought for sure I had kept my Good Sam Roadside Assistance current. I logged onto the site, and sure enough, it current until July of 2019, not 2018.So, it appears I could have gotten the winch service totally paid for had I had a current card in my wallet, or just called them anyway to confirm.You know what they say about things coming in threes… that’s would be my third STUPID thing for this whole ordeal.

Over the past 20 years, I’ve had a travel trailer, a Class-A motorhome, and two 5th wheels, and sometimes, I’m not really sure I’m smart enough to have an RV.But I’ve had some of the best times in my life, and by FAR the most quality time with my family, in an RV.Can’t imagine life without one.

Posting links to a couple photos just for fun:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0q2mfdj5mb5oqo/Bennetts%20Cove%20Aerial.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yla18peyn4yryq1/Alpine%20Stuck.JPG?dl=0
Chuck26287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
maccam1

Well after all that I hope you enjoy your new alpine.
Bennett's cove looks very nice
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #3
Ddubya

Well congratulations on your new purchase. We have a 2017 3401RS and have enjoyed it very much. I think everyone has their share of RV story's. We were returning from Big Bend National Park to our winter home in south Texas and I cut the corner too sharp as I entered the park gate. Ripped the back cap half off. Oh the joys of RVing.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
Tbos

Sorry for your troubles that day. I’m fortunate that all 3 times my 3651RL has sunk in I’ve been able to get it out by going in 4WD. Just spread 6 tons of gravel to help reduce this issue. I hope the window leak isn’t something serious. Maybe they can send a tech out to you. FYI, Your pictures didn’t come through. Enjoy your new rig and if you didn’t know it there are 2 Alpine owners pages on Facebook too. Hope to see you on the road someday.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
maccam1

Almost forgot
Thank goodness for good cam roadside assistance
Saved me 400.00 getting buried in a campground
Cost to me zero dollars
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
TJO

Congrats on the new trailer. We pick our 3400RS up on 9th of April. I will watch my head. Lol
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
Fishsizzle

Congrats! Haven’t been stuck with a trailer yet, well in a chip trailer in the woods!

HW has knocked her noggin on the pin box way to many times. She can walk right under the front without bending over so it’s hard for her. Me, I’m contorted to get under the front so a little more aware of the box.

It’s our dream to have like you do, a private place near a lake to set up for summer get always. Congrats on the RV life!
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
mote

Congratulations on the camper. Sounds like a nice one. We live about two hours south of you near the little town of Westport. Maybe we'll see you at a local state park. Do you ever camp at Brown County, Versailles or Clifty Falls ?
Old 04-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
Chuck26287

Quote:
Originally Posted by mote View Post
Congratulations on the camper. Sounds like a nice one. We live about two hours south of you near the little town of Westport. Maybe we'll see you at a local state park. Do you ever camp at Brown County, Versailles or Clifty Falls ?
Never been to Versailles, but did camp at Clifty Falls some time back. Would like to go back to Clifty Falls sometime this season. Just yesterday the wife made reservations to camp at Brown County State Park over the Labor Day Holiday weekend. That's typically one of the camping trips with her family each season. We still do it, but I have developed quite the understanding of why some people refuse to camp over the holiday weekends. Unfortunately, it's when her family can do it the easiest. So... we do it. Love Brown County... LOTS of family fall camping memories from high school made at BCSP.

Camped at McCormick's Creek last fall and loved it. I really want to go there this year while the spring rains are running off and feeding the waterfall there. It's a simple waterfall, but beautiful with it's natural rock surround. We'll see if that happens. Hoping so.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:19 AM   #10
notanlines

Chuck, all the veterans have stories to tell, mine are well documented between Trailer King tires ($9,000 damage) to arriving with the two heat pumps torn from the roof ($17,000 damage.) Now when you're sitting around the fire (after mowing that 5 acres for two days of your week-end) you'll be able to hold your own with the best of them. VERY nice rig, by the way. And nice photo work by the drone pilot!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:23 AM   #11
larry337

That's a lousy day but a great story! One I'm sure will be told for years to come. I buried my truck to the axles a couple years ago at a NASCAR race in Dover DE. And talk about stupid, about 4 years ago I slid over the nose of my fiver while cleaning the roof, due to my own carelessness. Shattered my leg and its never been the same. Hopefully after reading this your head won't hurt nearly as much. [emoji16]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1998.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	21186Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1996.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	21187

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:42 AM   #12
Chuck26287

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Chuck, all the veterans have stories to tell, mine are well documented between Trailer King tires ($9,000 damage) to arriving with the two heat pumps torn from the roof ($17,000 damage.) Now when you're sitting around the fire (after mowing that 5 acres for two days of your week-end) you'll be able to hold your own with the best of them. VERY nice rig, by the way. And nice photo work by the drone pilot!
You are so right. If you RV long enough, something happens to you. Sometimes, it happens very early, when you don't have much experience. Other times, it happens when you get complaisant about things in your years of experience and comfort level. Actually, to hijack my own thread, I can say this is not my veteran's highlight story. I'm not proud of it, but my RVing almost ended at about <1 yr of experience 20 years ago. My first ever RV was a 32' travel trailer, pulled with a brand new totally loaded for towing 3/4 ton Suburban. You couldn't have asked for a safer TT rig to tow, but you new RVers take note that a careless oversight on the part of the operator can reduce the safest rig on the road to a pile of rubble on the road. Literally.

Long story short... we were 2 hours into our vacation. On interstate, passing through terrain that had a natural wind-block to the road. We went past the wind block and were hit with some substantial wind at about 90 degrees. Buffeted the rig enough that I thought a semi was passing me VERY close on the left. Baffled me as we were cruising along in an open area without much traffic. In my confusion I put my foot on the brake, and turned to see the semi, but there was nothing there. I was trying to figure things out, when in a matter of a couple seconds the fact that I had forgot to check and set my trailer braking before starting the trip made me pay a very dear price. I kept my foot on the brake as I was looking for the semi and during the subsequent confusion, and the oscillations started, then VERY quickly escalated to the point that all I could do in my inexperience was try and keep it on the interstate and try to control the crash. Flipped both the truck and trailer. Totaled both. Let me tell you something folks... feeling your butt and your head swap positions while driving a motor vehicle is NOT natural, nor fun in any way.

This was pure operator error... both getting into the situation, as well as failing to recognize it and react properly. All I needed to do was hit the gas and pull it out of the oscillations from the trailer pushing into the tow vehicle. But you know what they say about hind-sight.

I have refused to pull a TT ever since. Not because they aren't safe, but because I'll never trust myself doing it again. When you nearly kill your family, it changes you, and what you're willing to do sometimes. We decided to continue RVing and bought a 2 year old 33' Pace Arrow MH. I just couldn't bring myself to tow anything back then. Had that Pace for 15 years, and after the kids were grown and gone, finally talked the wife into going to a 5er with a good truck. She just didn't understand why I had to have such a powerhouse of a truck. The 1-ton diesel dually was a must for me. I simply wanted the extra stability of the diesel power and dually towing, because I know I want every extra edge I can give myself to protect me (and her) from myself.

Well, by now there are probably a few people who are thinking this is one guy I hope I never wind up on the road with. That's understandable, but I shared this story and my original post here about getting stuck in the mud because I wasn't thinking, to illustrate a very important point, particularly to the newer RVers… when you are tempted to think the little things don't matter, they do. When you think it won't happen to you, it most certainly can.

BTW... my family of 5 crawled out of that overturned and roof-collapsed Suburban that day and stood on the side of the interstate with a total of one skinned-up mark on my son's hip, and some glass scrapes on my elbows. God and I had the most humble conversation of my life that day.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:47 AM   #13
Chuck26287

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
That's a lousy day but a great story! One I'm sure will be told for years to come. I buried my truck to the axles a couple years ago at a NASCAR race in Dover DE. And talk about stupid, about 4 years ago I slid over the nose of my fiver while cleaning the roof, due to my own carelessness. Shattered my leg and its never been the same. Hopefully after reading this your head won't hurt nearly as much. [emoji16]Attachment 21186Attachment 21187
Oh my! I'll bet you don't reach as far out over the nose these days. It's SO easy to slip over that edge. Glad you can tell the story, and thanks for sharing it. I assure you it will come to mind the next time I'm on my roof, and I will be just a little bit more cautious.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:33 AM   #14
Tbos

Wow, glad you all survived that 1st accident and have continued to camp.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #15
larry337

Wow, glad you're all ok. They say what doesn't kill ya only makes ya stronger. And you're so right, over confidence and complacency are just as dangerous as inexperience. One of my favorite phrases is you don't know what you don't know. Happy travels and enjoy that new fiver!

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine