Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
therink

The Importance of Pre-delivery inspections (PDI)

I have learned a lot over the years as far as RV's go. Some hard lessons learned from my own mistakes and some by others as I read and participate in these great forums.
Probably the greatest lesson learned was to perform a thorough pre-delivery inspection before taking that new beautiful trailer home from the dealer lot.
Last year when I took delivery of my current fiver, I found about 12 items during the inspection. The worst was a cracked vacuum breaker under the bathroom sink that flooded the bathroom when testing the black tank flush. Other items were mostly fit and finish things, loose screws, etc. All of these items were repaired that day while I watched. This saved me a lot of time and frustration down the road.

Today, I performed a PDI for a friend taking delivery of a new (leftover) 2013 Cougar High Country 321 RES TT. We started the inspection at 3pm and ended at 7pm. Prior to the inspection, the tech stated that he went through everything on the unit twice and "all was good".

Here are a few items I found: All tires under inflated by 15psi, 12 small cracks/voids in roof caulk at front and rear roof seams, cracked air conditioner roof cover (one cover bolt missing as well), loose spare tire bracket, no door keys to the unit (really), shower pan not supported at drain with considerable flexing (would eventually crack or break drain pipe), bedroom ac fan did not work, front end cap severely faded at top 2 feet, outside shower faucet cracked and flooded bathroom under sink when water pump was turned on, stripped hinge screws on a couple interior cabinet doors and one cabinet door with large defect on wood finish. Also a couple other minor items.
Keep in mind that the tech told us he went over everything twice during the prep. Also, I de-winterized the plumbing, so I know he didn't check that. He obviously didn't check the tire pressures, but he sure made them shiny. It amazes me when you spend this kind of $, how dealerships will do the bare minimum to deliver a trailer. Well, I can say for certain that they were not happy to see me today. I am confident that I saved my friend a whole lot of anguish and believe that because they didn't take the trailer with them, these items will be corrected in a reasonable timeframe. This likely would not have been the case if they drove it home today.

Take it from me, when the dealer says they have gone through a trailer; before you hitch it to your tow vehicle and drive away, think again and spend the time go through it yourself. The PDI checklist is available on this forum and is a valuable tool.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
KanTC

Thanks for sharing your "first-hand" experience, Steve. Glad you were able to help your friend... you did good!

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:01 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

GREAT ADVICE!!! dealer says we went through everything: You think he checked out everything on my new trailer so i am good to go! DEALER REALY MENT WE WNET THROUGH EVERYTHING... THE CHECK CLEARED THE PAPER WORK IS SET AND SIGNED INSURANCE CAIS ALL SET FINANCING ALL SET YEP YOUR GOOD TO GO! AND THAT 1500 PICK UP WILL TOW THIS 16000LB 5ER JUST FINE. ENJOY YA'LL READ AND PRINT THAT PDI LIST.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
GaryWT

I guess I am just lucky. Last year when we picked up our, I spent about 30-45 minutes going through things. Did not have them hook to water or anything and everything was just fine all year. It is a great dealer so maybe they do thing right the first time.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
dtm418

Cost of basic warranty

When I bought my Premier Bullet 19FB earlier this month at the last minute Camping World notified me that my Keystone warranty would not be valid unless I paid them $880 to inspect the trailer to certify its condition after transport to their store. Was I robbed?

And I still did a full inspection before but after I had more time at home after purchase I discovered some minor issues. One being the fresh water tank leaked. I took it back for the this work to be looked at and found out they knew the fresh water tank had been punctured during "the build" process with a screw and had already ordered a replacement tank.

I took my Bullet out for a quick weekend and loved it. Just having so many regrets about Camping World now. Haven't seen my trailer in ten days now as they are "waiting on warranty work approval from Keystone".
Grew up driving and camping in RVs
dtm418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Bombfixer

When I bought my Toyhauler last Aug, the place I bought it from tried to tell me that a spare tire was not included in the purchase price and that I had to buy my own propane tanks and shore power cable. I called Keystone on the spot and put the call on speaker phone in their main sales office. They changed their tune real quick after Keystone got involved.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
dtm418

Thanks Bombfixer. I am calling Keystone Customer Service after the holiday. Been reading here and the Keystone site and there are a lot of things I am finding that my Camping World told me wrong, didn't tell me, didn't give me, or just maybe lied about.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

While you are talking with Keystone, you might send an email to Marcus Lemonis, CEO of Camping World and Good Sam. He has "promised" to improve the operations and customer relations at Camping World and seems to be quite open to suggestions and experiences - good and bad - from CW customers.

His email address is: [email protected]

I'd also send a copy to the dealer of your email as well as a note indicating that you will be in contact with Keystone to discuss the $800 fee and the "threat" to revoke your warranty if you refuse the PDI.

I hope you haven't yet paid the $800 to the dealer. I think it is important that you try to maintain a civil and a reasonable working relationship with the dealer --- they are the ones that you will probably need to go through to get any warranty work done and if you come on too strong, they could make it difficult for you down the road. Be polite but be firm.

Let us know how things progress with Keystone and the dealer. Good luck with this.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
dtm418

Thanks Fetus2

Since my trailer is in their shop for the warranty work I am going to wait until I get it out. I no longer trust any of them. They also promised a three year Good Sam membership with my purchase that would include a year of roadside assistance. They have yet to provide that after 24 days. The first two weeks I went there and reminded them while I shopped. They said there was accidently a Good Sam membership number attached to my trailer and they had to get that removed first. After two weeks I messaged the salesman two days in a row asking for a status update. He has ignored me ever since. I have found other places that can do the warranty work if needed later. Once I get my trailer back I am going to avoid my Camping World. They are not worth it.

I appreciate the email address. I will include him in at the right moment after I call customer service. I will keep you posted.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
TLB

When we took delivery of our new TT last fall we had a 1.5 hour "Customer Orientation" that included going over everything from hitching to the truck & operating everything inside & outside the TT.

The tech even said if we ever have any questions to call the dealership and ask for him and he would try to help over the phone if we forgot anything we went over.

This is at a family owned dealership that has been open since 1971. I hope most of you have had great people do deal with like I have.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
dtm418

Orientation lacking

My orientation was a little short and weird. The man became obviously perturbed when I asked a lot of questions and occasionally asked something that he said he already explained. So he just sat there while I asked questions.

The big thing was he told me how to manually move the slide which was very important to me. But I figured it out quickly once I got home. The first trip I learned what switches had to be turned on in what order and/or combination. I still love the trailer but have questions about it. So I will try and get them here in the group about my trailer.

Just disappointed in Camping World after the sale. They were good before then and they have been around so long as I shopped there for over 25 years buying present for my parents who always owned an RV.

I hope it is just my location.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
Pmedic4

Good Sam Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm418 View Post
.... They also promised a three year Good Sam membership with my purchase that would include a year of roadside assistance. They have yet to provide that after 24 days. The first two weeks I went there and reminded them while I shopped. ....
I bought a TT from CW, and didn't even know they offer the "Elite" Good Sam membership. I was looking to buy several items from CW, so I joined Good Sam for the savings on the items. Then about 6 months after my purchase, I got the Elite Good Sam membership notice and material. For me, there wasn't a close Camping World, so didn't go back, even though I had a few warranty issues I ended up repairing myself - it didn't make sense to haul the TT 300 miles round trip, costing me $120 in fuel for a $50 repair. I did have one problem with the bathroom fan, and the manufacturer just sent me the part, saving the money for the fuel.

Everyone has their own issues! BTW, I traded the TT I bought from CW, and bought my 5ver from a closer, but not local, dealer. Oddly, that has been important, since I should have done a better PDI! However, the dealer has fixed the issues, and I'm pleased with the service.

Moral of the story, do a good PDI.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #13
Western Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm418 View Post
When I bought my Premier Bullet 19FB earlier this month at the last minute Camping World notified me that my Keystone warranty would not be valid unless I paid them $880 to inspect the trailer to certify its condition after transport to their store. Was I robbed?".
We purchased our TT at at the Pomona RV Show in California and took delivery out of state last year. I asked the Western Area Keystone rep specifically about an inspection charge. He said Keystone did not allow dealers to charge as it was part of the service provided and that it was illegal in California to charge an inspection fee. I don't know about other states but he very firmly stated that behavior was not acceptable with Keystone.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
therink

I was told by a CW employee that dealers receive a PDI credit from all RV manufacturers for each and every new RV on their lot. Said it starts at a couple hundred bucks for basic models like pop ups to several thousand for high end class A's. This allowance is provided for the dealer to clean and go tthrough each unit and fix all things the factory did wrong during the quick assembly.
A good dealer will spend the time and actually fix things like cabinet doors and drawers out of alignment, poor caulking, sawdust in ductwork, etc before the buyer even picks it up. Other dealers pocket the $ and hope that the buyer fixes minor things themselves or bring it back under warranty (hence double dipping). Crooked dealers pocket the credit and then charge buyers a large fee for PDI.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #15
dtm418

I am going to do what I can to complain and get my money back but doubt I will have any luck.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #16
No K or I

Where is the PDI checklist on this site? I'd like to review it prior to having my PDI.
No K or I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:06 AM   #18
bdcarey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Traveler View Post
We purchased our TT at at the Pomona RV Show in California and took delivery out of state last year. I asked the Western Area Keystone rep specifically about an inspection charge. He said Keystone did not allow dealers to charge as it was part of the service provided and that it was illegal in California to charge an inspection fee. I don't know about other states but he very firmly stated that behavior was not acceptable with Keystone.
2014 Cougar High Country 327res, purchased 3 os. ago.
3 cabinet doors (holes in the door panels) needed to be replaced, identified on inspection. CW ordered replacement, followup, cabinet vendor has canceled contract (67 customers have not had defective doors replaced.
Windows have a split in the aluminum frames in half the windows the others have been caulked. CW's response the seamless windows needed cut so they could fit.
Referred to local CW dealer for these problems.
Will go to local CW, discuss warranty, replacement of cabinet doors they will have find a vendor to make/replace like doors, stain etc. if they do not have them in stock.
Has anyone had a similar experience with success in CW correction of these deficiencies?
Will post my experience with warranty etc.
bdcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

We purchased our Springdale fifth wheel from CW at Houghton Lake, MI in 2010. They went the "extra mile" with everything related to the warranty and, when the tree fell on our trailer destroying the roof, they repaired it within the insurance estimate, on time and with no problems found after the repair.

I would say that CW, Houghton Lake is an "exceptional" CW facilitiy. There are a number of members who have had "just the opposite" experiences at other CW facilities around the country.

So, I'd say that it's not really CW that needs to respond to your problems, but the service "leadership" at the local CW facility. If they do, they also will be providing "exceptional" service to you. If they "ignore your issues", then it's apparent that they fall into that "other category".

Just as people have "personality and moods" so do dealerships. How you interact with them and how they respond depends on much more than "just reporting a warranty issue".

Work with your dealership, try to understand their limitations and give them time to get a repair plan formulated. Remember, your warranty is not a CW warranty, it's a Keystone warranty. CW most likely will not "find a local carpenter to manufacture, stain and provide replacement cabinet doors" unless that's what Keystone tells them to do. Don't be too quick to blame CW for not fixing your trailer while they are working with (and waiting for) Keystone to authorize the repair and tell CW what they will pay to fix/what they will not pay to fix.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #20
EMCS retired

Pre - pre delivery inspection

Just finished our pre - pre delivery inspection 2014 Mountaineer 375FLF, here's our punch list.
1. the led light above the mirror on the front cap above the hitch - no one at the dealership could find the switch for it - help
2. spot on the bedroom carpet
3. spots on the kitchen floor, could be dried mud?
4. the outside top vent cover for refrigerator mounted upside down, yep the holes are actually pointing up.
5. we suspect the black/grey tank valves are also labeled wrong same as everyone else's
6. birds nest inside the hitch box
7. bathroom to bedroom door missing - robbed Peter to pay Paul on a previous sale is what the salesman told us. He better hope the new one matches
8. loose trim on the same door frame
9. 3 minor nicks/scratches on decal on front cap
10. A/C's were not observed in operation because we only had a 16 gauge extension cord stretched across the parking lot providing power
11. water system was not observed in operation
12. refrigerator turned on but did not observe it in operation
13. TV's were not observed in operation, needed batteries for remotes

the last 4 will be accomplished on our return visit next week when we take our trade in BEFORE we sign the papers. The salesman promised to be plugged into 50A and the fridge will be cold with some water in the tank. Will probably just crank up the antenna to check TV's, cable not available to connect to.
Overall not so bad but the fridge vent thing just amazes me that it passed QA, then again, maybe it didn't.
EMCS retired is offline   Reply With Quote