Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 06-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
GeekSquadOfUn

We had new Lippert 6000# axles replaced on our 2010 Sabre 5th wheel 2 years ago, whole axle assembly, brakes and all. We had those so-called Sealed Bearing System, they were shot and not replaceable, hence new axles.... a though pill to swallow then.

Fast forward to April 24 this year, coming back from Texas we had a similar experience on I-75 near Florence, KY.

One whole wheel fell off, just like you. Incredibly, we never found it, it disappeared in thin air. My guess it fell off after hitting a pothole, and there were sooooo many big ones, unavoidable ones too.

AAA tow truck accompanied us, rolling on 3 wheels - as he could not see how he could do it with his flat bed - we drove at 20 mph to the nearest RV repair shop and believe it or not, the next day, they had installed a new Dexter 6000# axle and we were on the road back home, having pput my spare wheel/tire on.

My insurance (I'm from Canada by the way) paid it all, including hotel and meals..

I complained to Lippert by email, sent pics of the broken axle. They offered a free axle assembly to keep me happy - I no longer needed it, but had it sent to my dealer. We traded it in for a new Cougar... happy as clams. Not worried about 2nd axle shearing off.

Everyone told me it was bad weld on the axle... makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axle1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	22273   Click image for larger version

Name:	axle2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	22274   Click image for larger version

Name:	axle3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	643.3 KB
ID:	22275  

May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #12
travelin texans

I would take lots of photos as well as a picture of the label on the axle & contact the axle manufacturer, to me this is a manufacturing defect regardless of rust or an other outside causes, the wheel/drum should not break off clean like that.
I'd give the scenario you had a pucker factor of a full 10!!
Our son recently bought a new 12-15' enclosed trailer & while towing on the interstate had your same experience with both drivers side wheels pass him, after some serious "Oh sh##" moments he got stopped & found the centers of both wheels had broken out leaving the centers & lug nuts behind. There was an older man behind him that stopped & told my son he had to shake his hand cause he thought they were goners a couple times during the ordeal. His was also a 10 on the pucker scale!

travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #13
dadnjesse

Well the camper is 15 years old I'm not sure the manufacturer would help me. I'm definitely going to replace both axles. I just put new wheel hubs including all new brakes bearings and leaf springs in two years ago, I also grease and check the brakes every spring. And I don't travel more than 2 hours north of me in New Hampshire or Maine 3 times a year so I don't put a lot of miles on it. I believe the owner before me used to take it to Florida every winter, and there was a lot of undercarriage rust on it when I bought it.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #14
Froglaw

I had a double 31 inch leaf spring failure on the Dalton Highway in Alaska. Left my brand new trailer on the Dalton. Took me a day to find a flatbed in Fairbanks to go get it. $5300 towing bill. Keystone did reimburse me and has since redesigned their leaf spring system.

I found four 30 inch six ply leaf springs in North Carolina and had them FedEx to the Fairbanks RV Repair Shop. No problems on the trip back to Dallas. I noticed the towing was much more stable almost immediately.

Don't be afraid to "beef up" your trailer towing systems. $1000 now beats a $5300 towing bill later.

Remember, most RV manufacturers think that a one year warranty should solve all your needs as a customer.

A warranty does not mean a thing to you as your trailer sits on the side of the road and your trip plans are ruined.
Froglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #15
dadnjesse

I just met the Insurance adjuster yesterday and was advised the axle would not be covered as it was mechanical.This is Progressive by the way. He did measure the whole side and said the sheet metal, tire and such would be. Basically all the damage caused from the incident.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #16
larryflew

Been there. Mine tore up the wheel wells and some sheet metal. Same as yours they covered the well and sheet metal but not the axle. Insurance was Auto Owners.

Tags
axle