Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Janet794

Linoleum bubbled

We made our first trip with our TT. We had NO big issues. Don’t think that has ever happened with the many campers we have had over the years. Thank-you Camping World for testing everything.
We do have a minor issue. There is an area in the bedroom where the linoleum is bubbled. Is it possible to inject some glue into the bubble and get it to stick flat? No intention of taking it back for repair under warranty. Pretty sure we can fix it?
Janet794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The floor is one piece from the front to the back and is only tacked on the outer edges. Then the walls and everything is installed on top of that. There usually isn’t any adhesive so injecting any glue probably won’t fix the problem.

We have used a heat gun and then a flat board and a large battery. Doesn’t work all the time, but worth a try IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The reason that the vinyl is only secured at the edges is so it can expand/contract with the temperature changes. If you glue it down in spots, it may crack or split when the temperature goes down next winter. It will be extremely expensive to replace the split floor and by then, your 1 year warranty will have expired, so the entire cost will be your responsibility.

I would suggest you either "live with it" or if it really bothers you, contact the dealership and let them fix it "the right way"....

I'd urge you to always remember that although a travel trailer has many features that "look like/feel like" those in a stick built house, there are some significant differences in construction and engineering in a travel trailer. Applying "S&B repair techniques" will often end badly after you expose your travel trailer to the "hurricane/monsoon/earthquake" conditions of towing it at 70 MPH during a heavy rainstorm on a pot-hole filled interstate highway.....

Don't consider it "just a house with wheels like our big one"... It's not......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #4
DCARLTON

What year and model?

I don't want to alarm you but we purchased a 2018 30RIPR in April last year and noticed a bubble in the middle of the living room floor area. Over the next 6 months, the bubble grew in size from the size of your fist to about 1 foot square. It eventually was diagnosed as floor failure where the laminated floor separated due to unknown source of water damage. There is one long thread about this on this forum. Anyway, ours was purchased back by Keystone due to this failure; others were able to trade out and or trade up.

So keep an eye on it, don't write it off as just a bubble in the floor.
Georgia
DCARLTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:28 AM   #5
Janet794

Our camper is a 2019 Premier 24rkpr.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:22 AM   #6
Leatherman

Hi Janet,
Any update? I also have the 24RKPR and would like to see what happens with this.
Warranty repair?
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #7
Janet794

My husband and I were just discussing it. We haven’t done much looking, but at first glance it appears the linoleum was cut just a tad too big. We are going to try adjusting that first, then see what happens. We aren’t doing this under warranty because that route for something small, which we hope this is, seems to always end in a huge pain. We chased around a warranty repair for way too long tow campers ago, only to have $76 fix it. We did get reimbursed. Long story, haha!
Will update when we get it this repair. Busy life right now
Old 05-14-2019, 04:17 AM   #8
Janet794

Update, the bubble of linoleum seems to be getting bigger and mushy. I have contacted the Camping World where we bought the camper to have it fixed as a warranty item. Waiting for a call back from the Service department. Not giving the camper up until October though.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:26 AM   #9
Janet794

Update, after 4 non returned phone calls to the Camping World we bought our camper from, I finally got the receptionist in Service. She explained for a warranty issue, it is better for the customer to contact Keystone. That “sets theclock” on the one year warranty. I sent two messages via Keystone’s contact page online with no response in almost a week. Today I will call the company directly. Seems warranty work always is an issue. We don’t plan to get the repairs done until after the camping season. Then they can have the camper for months
Old 07-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
DCARLTON

Mushy Floor?

Janet - Did you see my previous post on this forum about our floor in our 30ripr that started out just like what yours sounds like. If not, reread this forum and please contact me. I may be able to give you some insight in how to get yours addressed.
Georgia
Old 07-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #11
Janet794

I did see your message, which is what led us to pursue it as a warranty issue. Thank-you! I am not sure how to get to your old thread? I am not an experienced user of this forum.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #12
DCARLTON

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35180&highlight=30ripr

See if this will get you there.

Also if you can pm me an email address i can help you get the ball rolling however with this being a vacation week in Elkhart it may be next week before you get any action.

We were able to resolve our issue direct with keystone and didnt go through our dealer as keystone knows this is not an isolated incident
Old 03-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #13
Janet794

An update to our bubbled floor issue. Thanks to this forum we didn’t ignore the problem. It actually grew quite large. Our camper is being picked up from the Dealer to have the floors replaced. There is extensive water damage at both cargo doors extending into the bedroom. There are two other areas that haven’t been completely diagnosed.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:58 AM   #14
rjsurfer

If you notice, in new Keystone advertising they are now touting the fact that they have a totally new "waterproof" flooring system in all their new campers.

I'll give you a guess as to why they finally made this change.

Unfortunately, it's to late for hundreds (If not thousands) like you and me.

Best of luck

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:16 AM   #15
6.2 Superduty

Here is what you can expect. It will be picked up in three weeks and Keystone will notify you in two weeks after they receive it that the process will take six to eight weeks. Mine is ahead of yours ,hope to have it back in May.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:18 AM   #16
Janet794

Thanks, hope so! We work as. Camp Hosts at a State Park for the month of June. Fingers crossed we get it back before then. If not........🤪
Old 03-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #17
DCARLTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
If you notice, in new Keystone advertising they are now touting the fact that they have a totally new "waterproof" flooring system in all their new campers.

I'll give you a guess as to why they finally made this change.

Unfortunately, it's to late for hundreds (If not thousands) like you and me.

Best of luck

Ron W.
In theory, their flooring system was already waterproof but I believe there was/is a problem in the way it was/is assembled. Our defect was in the middle of the floor on a opposing slide floorplan, behind the kitchen island; a place where there should be NO WAY water should ever get too. Our dealer service department felt it was coming from road spray off the tires entering the Darco material, getting trapped and causing the failure; I saw this explanation a couple of times actually from another case on this forum. Another owner of the same floor plan as our Keystone had the exact same failure but in this case, in the middle of the floor in front of the island, no where near a tire.

My running theory was something had to have happened in the production of these units and was an indication of a failure in the manufacturing process.

The reason why I indicate it SHOULD be waterproof, the Darco (black material) is suppose to cover the entire bottom of the floor and wrap up and over the sides by a few inches. The flooring is then supposed to cover the top of the floor system and wrap over the edge to the bottom of the floor system, in a sense sandwiching the luan/laminate floor system. Once sealed in this manner, water should never get in, BUT if it does, it has no way of getting out. This leads me to believe water was being trapped in those layers in the build process or somehow the underneath Darco was compromised.

Best of luck you, Keystone did treat me right and they weren't to ashamed to admit it was an issue.
Georgia
Old 03-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCARLTON View Post
In theory, their flooring system was already waterproof but I believe there was/is a problem in the way it was/is assembled. Our defect was in the middle of the floor on a opposing slide floorplan, behind the kitchen island; a place where there should be NO WAY water should ever get too. Our dealer service department felt it was coming from road spray off the tires entering the Darco material, getting trapped and causing the failure; I saw this explanation a couple of times actually from another case on this forum. Another owner of the same floor plan as our Keystone had the exact same failure but in this case, in the middle of the floor in front of the island, no where near a tire.

My running theory was something had to have happened in the production of these units and was an indication of a failure in the manufacturing process.

The reason why I indicate it SHOULD be waterproof, the Darco (black material) is suppose to cover the entire bottom of the floor and wrap up and over the sides by a few inches. The flooring is then supposed to cover the top of the floor system and wrap over the edge to the bottom of the floor system, in a sense sandwiching the luan/laminate floor system. Once sealed in this manner, water should never get in, BUT if it does, it has no way of getting out. This leads me to believe water was being trapped in those layers in the build process or somehow the underneath Darco was compromised.

Best of luck you, Keystone did treat me right and they weren't to ashamed to admit it was an issue.
What I found on my Cougar XLite is that the DARCO in the wheelwells was "pock-marked" by numerous holes. I'd guess that every rock picked up by the tire tread and that gets slung against the DARCO pierced the thin plastic and created more of a "screen" than a "barrier" in the wheelwells. Then, towing during rain or on a wet road was pretty much the same as spraying a screen with a high pressure nozzle. The water simply "runs right through the DARCO"...

I rebuilt my wheelwells with 1/4" rigid plastic sheeting. So far it seems to be holding well and I can't find any evidence of further water intrusion. Hopefully it's a "permanent repair" rather than "just added weight". We'll see this camping season just how "long lived" the rigid plastic really is...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #19
6.2 Superduty

Most of the wet floors I have seen pictures of started in the cargo area where it could go undetected. Then it spreads to the bedroom are where it is noticed. It would be nice to know if it is the cargo door causing the problem,was it improper installation or faulty design .
I requested a tour of the floor replacement plant and was denied.
6.2 Superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #20
DCARLTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What I found on my Cougar XLite is that the DARCO in the wheelwells was "pock-marked" by numerous holes. I'd guess that every rock picked up by the tire tread and that gets slung against the DARCO pierced the thin plastic and created more of a "screen" than a "barrier" in the wheelwells. Then, towing during rain or on a wet road was pretty much the same as spraying a screen with a high pressure nozzle. The water simply "runs right through the DARCO"...

I rebuilt my wheelwells with 1/4" rigid plastic sheeting. So far it seems to be holding well and I can't find any evidence of further water intrusion. Hopefully it's a "permanent repair" rather than "just added weight". We'll see this camping season just how "long lived" the rigid plastic really is...
I remember in your initial thread that you had mentioned this and believe me as soon as I got home I looked for something like that. My dealer also thought this was an issue but in my case, my water damage wasn't near the wheel wells themselves - it was in a place that water should never be. However, they reported it to Keystone as water intrusion from wheel spray and Keystone made a request of my dealer that my dealer said they never do - We will pay you for an hours worth of time to take pictures. This indicated to the dealer there was something else going on.

I won't dispute your initial finding, but I also believe that if what they said was true, rocks pock marking the Darco covering and then water spraying into it, I have to believe there would be literally 1000's of these with issues; we all travel in the rain. Now I might buy into a bad batch of Darco maybe and it just happened to be at the wheels? That is just supposition on my part.

I will tell you that I did look at the underside of my Grand Design and there was a place near the wheels on the Darco that looked a little weak to me. Was it? I don't know but I did use some black Gorilla tape to cover the area that looked like it could be susceptible to water intrusion.

I think there is a lot more to this story from Keystone, just nobody really knows the truth except them.
Georgia

Tags
led