Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I have previously covered, in detail (link removed) the advantages and the "why" we should be storing our tires inside or under our RV or under light colored covers. It is the HEAT that kills tires and the aging effect on tires is exponential with an increase in temperature (doubles each 18°F) you could end up with a tire failure with ZERO miles as seen in this example.

I have pointed out, along with temperature data, in my blog post on why white tire covers are good and much better than black covers.

This shot shows what can happen with a black cover that effectively places the spare in an "oven" where cooling air can't offset any of the Sun's heat.

You will note that in both the above examples the top side of the tire (location with most direct Sun heating) is the location of the failure.

These folks do it right.

I know of no tire shine or protectant spray that provided protection from heat.

Hadn't really thought about that but it makes perfect sense. We replaced ours with black because 1) that's what it came with and 2) it matches the trailer. I will be looking today for a light colored cover similar to those we use on the tires on the axles. Good food for thought.

Edit: Just ordered a new, lighter spare cover - don't want my "new" Carlisle spare to bake sitting on the spare mount.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #22
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
My MIL bought this for me for Christmas. Put it on this past weekend.

Cute but did you miss the part about what a black cover does to your tire?

Tags
cover