Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2019, 03:12 AM   #1
maalivahti

Montana blowing shore power GFCIs suddenly

Not sure if this is in the right board, sorry!

I've been camping in a friend's driveway for 3 months with no problem. Took my 02 Montana (3575RL) to the dump, came back, plugged it back into the house, and it's tripping his GFCIs. Thought it might be that specific plug or panel, so he tried a variety of plugs on 2 different panels and every single one tripped. The only thing on was the fridge, but it's always been on when we plug back in. Nothing else was plugged in or on. I know to check our breakers one at a go to narrow down what's causing his to trip, but once I do that.... Then what? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
maalivahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:18 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum !!!

It won’t be any of your fuses in the trailer as they are only used in the 12V side. Your breakers are what you want to turn off. Is it tripping ANY breaker or just a GFI breaker?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:20 AM   #3
maalivahti

I meant breakers, I get so confused about these things - editing OP. He didn't give me full information on everything it's tripping on his side, but he did say his GFCIs specifically. He then went to his GFs house for the next day and a half. I've gotta wait til he gets off work today before I can do anything.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:11 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

We could use some more information. It has a residential fridge? Is the trailer 50A service and is he using adapters to plug into 15A? How old are the battery(s). We will wait for his return.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:53 AM   #5
maalivahti

Trailer is 50A adapted to 20A.
Fridge is RV fridge running elec or propane (currently on propane).
Battery is approx 2 years old (12v single).

He also said it's tripping just GFCIs, not every breaker.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

When he gets back turn off your main AC breaker and all the other AC breakers in the trailer. Have him turn on the house breaker for the trailer. Hopefully nothing blows. Turn on your main breaker. Hopefully nothing happens. Then turn on your breakers one by one until it blows the house breaker then start investigating. Make sure he doesn't have something running on the house circuit in addition to your trailer. If that circuit has other things inside the house plugged into it your trailer may overload it and blow the breaker.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
RoscoeV

You may want to make sure your power cable is securely connected to the RV. Pull the cable off the connector and check to see if the contacts are burnt. .... Just a thought.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
bobbecky

Disconnect your shore cord cable from the trailer, protect the end from someone touching it, and then plug in the cable to the house. If this trips a breaker, your cable is bad, or at least one of the connectors is bad.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfci, montana, power