Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
WebsterFreedomLite

Question about Cover

I know some of you have a trailer just like mine (FreedomLite 279TB/Passport 280BH). Would any of you have the trailer measurements for a proper fitting cover? My dealer is about 40 minutes away and I haven't picked up my trailer. I have a line on a ADCO Tyvek cover on craigslist and don't want to lose it. I want to make sure it is the right size.

Thanks,

Andy
WebsterFreedomLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Flyguy

I assume that your talking about the popular ADCO covers, I sized one for my 280BH and the correct one for my trailer is the 27 foot length one. The trailer measures 30' 6" but the box length is measured from the rear bumper to the front most part of the box NOT including the LP bottles or the battery box or anything forward of the end of the living area. HTH Here's a URL for the cover: http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/pro...l.cfm/pid/1556 select 26'1" to 28'6". They say:

Please carefully measure as per instructions below, as item is not returnable.

In order to ensure a proper fit, the manufacturer recommends that the trailer be measured from end to end, and to include the bumpers, spare tire and ladder in this length. However, do not include any propane tanks or hitches in this measurement, and do not rely on manufacturer’s specifications. Covers are intended to fit loose. If the measurement is on the borderline between sizes, order the next larger size. Front and rear cinching system will take in the extra material. Covers are made to accommodate rooftop accessories, such as air conditioning units.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
WebsterFreedomLite

Thanks so much Flyguy, I was hoping you would chime in. I can't wait to pick up the trailer and tow it home!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
WebsterFreedomLite

Flyguy, is that the cover you actually have? Do you like it and does it really breath like they claim to prevent moisture issues?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Flyguy

That's the cover that I will get and I hear that they work just fine. I use a friction sway control but the trailer doesn't have much of a tendency to sway as long as you adjust the WDH correctly, everything should be level.
Timbrens
Old 11-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

I have been using this same cover for my 5th wheel for the past two years - the Adco (White roof, grey fabric sides). Overall, it has stood up very well. Because we live in an area where we can get some high winds, snow, freezing rain (or all three at once), we have to be careful to ensure that any and all sharp or blunt corners are covered with some kind of "padding". We have used underlay carpet foam, carpeting, as well as rigid foam - insulation or whatever you can find.
In high winds, it does tend to billow up but has never shown any signs of flying off.
You should not strap or tie it down with ropes because they will cut through the fabric - Use the tie-down straps that come with the cover.
I also have put some dry maple leaves in a large leaf bag and laid them down the center of the roof --- just to provide more of even, longer peak to allow the rain and snow to slide away more easily.
Even tho it is adverstised as "breathable", I always leave my roof vents and a couple of windows open slightly. The top white cover is not waterproof but appears to be very water resistant.
I have not seen any evidence of mold or moisture inside the unit while it has been under the Adco Tyvek cover. It is a good idea to do whatever you can to keep the air inside "moving" slightly --- some folks use a low-watt heater, some place moisture absorbing crystals inside, and others have a small fan going. I have tried using the crystals and find them to work fine.
Enjoy your new unit....and you will need at least 2 people to put the cover on! Perhaps it is easier to put one over a trailer than it is over a 5th wheel???
Old 11-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Flyguy

Aha, Maple leafs, I just knew the Canadian Maple leaf would come into the picture somehow!!
Timbrens
Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Vortex

Hi Andy. Good luck with your cover when you get it. I presently have a 30 ft Prowler 829S. I live in Southern Ontario. About four years ago I decided to cover the trailer during the winter months. I will probably never do that again. I live in the country and the winds whipping accross the farmers fields really made that tarp slap and flap! All winter long as long as there was wind the tarp and tie-down ropes rubbed on many of the contact surfaces of the trailer causing scuff and wear marks from constant abrasion. You may want to rethink your tarp idea unless you are in an area where there is little to no wind.
Just a thought!
John
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
shadyoaks

Trying to decide if a tarp is good or bad. Just wondering how yours worked out? I'm in the Houston area.
Thanks,
Daryl
shadyoaks is offline   Reply With Quote