Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #21
theeyres

Many private parks require a hose support and will not allow you to have the sewer hose touching the ground.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #22
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Yep they are a little pricey but if you can get a system where you don't have to hook and unhook the hose each time...well maybe not so pricey!
I first seen their setup on a youtube video for a Vengeance touring toy hauler, it came from the Forest River factory with their system already installed. I seen one of their systems go through ebay shortly afterward for $150 and I passed it up thinking there would be more, then read where another member on another forum purchased it.. I'm thinking this summer sometime to get one and install in on my RV.
So, if you end up getting one, will you buy the adapter or will you cut off the 4 tabs on your existing sewer connection and glue on the Drainmaster piece?

If I buy one of those, I like the looks of the white tubular storage setup better than the black "box" like container.....any thoughts on that.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #23
Dave W

We have the Camco Rhino Flex system as well. I bought the 15 foot plus a 10 foot sections and also carry a low end 10 footer just in case - and actually needed every foot at on CG last fall. That was because of how I parked in a double length site. I also use a Valterra secondary knife valve, a 6" clear section followed by a 45 degree clear section. Then there is that Camco hose support. Just to make it even more fun, I normally use a macerator/pump and a couple 25 foot lengths of 3/4" hose. That works the best but tends to be noisy especially if we plan on leaving a CG early. Everything but the support and the macerator fit in a plastic tub from Walmart. Then to just fill that tub up more, I have a Camco back flush 45 degree fitting.

What is nice about that Rhino Flex hose is that you can compress(click?) it back to the original shipping length which you cannot do with the low end blue and green slinkys.

What is not so nice is that they will not fit in a 4" rear bumper
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Hard wired Progressive EMS.....Check!
Water Pressure Regulator w/spare....Check!

Now to decide whether I want the Viper or the Rhino Flex. I sure wish for the money that the Viper costs that they came with the hose ends without having to buy them extra.
My long Viper hose came as a kit with ends already on the hose, the 90 degree bend & threaded adapter for the sewer connection. The shorter hose was the hose with ends already on the hose.
Here's the kit;
http://www.campingworld.com/viper-se...gaAjm9EALw_wcB
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #25
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
My long Viper hose came as a kit with ends already on the hose, the 90 degree bend & threaded adapter for the sewer connection. The shorter hose was the hose with ends already on the hose.
Here's the kit;
http://www.campingworld.com/viper-se...gaAjm9EALw_wcB
Yea, I guess I worded that wrong....I meant the end caps.....to keep it from having the drips.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't remember seeing any end caps with the Viper system. The only one that I have seen with end caps as a part of the package is the WalMart $30 CAMCO Rhino system. two 10' hoses, the 90 degree end adapter, 4 end caps and the "screw in ring" to seal the campground inlet. There is no foam rubber ring so if it's an "old campground" you may need to buy a "rubber gasket ring" for $2.

For the price, it's hard to beat the "local WalMart" camping section for sewer hoses. $32 bucks for everything needed to access 20' of plumbing run. Ours is at least 6 years old and the other one is about 8 years old and both are still functional, don't leak and all of it fits into the fence post cover.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #27
travelin texans

The endcaps are only a couple bucks a piece at any rv store. In my opinion if your putting the hose in a tube outside the rv I'd rather leave the ends open to dry out & prevent worse growth inside the hose. Closed ends in a warm/damp environment of fecal matter is the perfect recipe for a really gross science project.
Same as my water hoses, I DO NOT loop & connect them, I drain as best I can & coil them up open ended to dry out & not let mold grow in them. If you only use the rv a few times annually & loop/connect the water hose ends to store it, I'd throw it away after each use, inside of it is probably green & fuzzy, YUK!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #28
xrated

Lots and lots of good info here.....thanks to everyone that has posted. Earlier today, I took some measurements under the T.H. and had just about decided to go with the Drainmaster type setup. Etrailer has the hose kit for $123 and free shipping, but the dang storage box is another $150. I think I'm out for that much money. I'm probably going go with the Viper and then buy the 5x5 fence post and the PVC gutter that fits inside of it. I really like the Drainmaster setup, but I just can't justify that amount of money.....decisions, decisions.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The endcaps are only a couple bucks a piece at any rv store. In my opinion if your putting the hose in a tube outside the rv I'd rather leave the ends open to dry out & prevent worse growth inside the hose. Closed ends in a warm/damp environment of fecal matter is the perfect recipe for a really gross science project.
Same as my water hoses, I DO NOT loop & connect them, I drain as best I can & coil them up open ended to dry out & not let mold grow in them. If you only use the rv a few times annually & loop/connect the water hose ends to store it, I'd throw it away after each use, inside of it is probably green & fuzzy, YUK!!

That sure seems like a lot of trouble and expense. Isn't that what the water filter is for.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #30
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post

What is not so nice is that they will not fit in a 4" rear bumper
I have the Thetford Titan system. I got the kit which comes with two ten-foot sections and then I got two additional ten-foot sections. The kit comes with caps, the individual sections do not. Had to order the caps separately.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When you compress a section and install the caps it stays compressed. And it will fit inside a 4" rear bumper.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
[/COLOR]

That sure seems like a lot of trouble and expense. Isn't that what the water filter is for.....
I was referring to leaving it looped with the ends connected & stored in the rv for several months before using again, I still wouldn't use it after that regardless if it was filtered. Maybe if it was sanitized with bleach prior to storing or before using again, it might be useable.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

When I was a kid we drank out of the hose that was laying in the lawn. No telling how many or what kind of "things" were in that hose. The human stomach has a unique way of using acid to dissolve most anything that we swallow. I wouldn't throw away a perfectly good fresh water hose because it sat unused for a couple months. In fact, I've got two, a 25' and a 50' that have been sitting unused since October. I'm not about to throw them away (they're only 5 years old) and they'll be used this summer, if it ever warms up here.... All the talk about trees budding, grass growing and flowers blooming, we've got a foot of white stuff everywhere and more expected later this week.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:35 AM   #33
notanlines

"If you only use the rv a few times annually & loop/connect the water hose ends to store it, I'd throw it away after each use, inside of it is probably green & fuzzy, YUK!! "

On this subject we heartily disagree. RV'ing is expensive enough without trash-canning a perfectly good hose. The inside of that hose is not going to be green and fuzzy and I would hate to think that a newby came here and thought that would be the norm.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:02 AM   #34
Tinner12002

Quote:
So, if you end up getting one, will you buy the adapter or will you cut off the 4 tabs on your existing sewer connection and glue on the Drainmaster piece?

If I buy one of those, I like the looks of the white tubular storage setup better than the black "box" like container.....any thoughts on that.
I need to look at my drain again and get some measurements and see which I can do, the solid permanent hook up sure sounds inviting!
The white storage tube is a great idea also for storage, I don't think there would be a way to hook it up perm because of the elevation of a drain vs mounting the tube. I'd like to see someone with a tube setup like that though, that would stay hooked up, one that would ride in a parallel position with the RV, then swing out with the collapsible hose inside where you could open a door, pull it out, drain tanks and push it back in close the door swivel it back around to the RV and be done with it.
The outer storage tube would also act as a support for part of the hose, no fuss no mess!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #35
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I need to look at my drain again and get some measurements and see which I can do, the solid permanent hook up sure sounds inviting!
The white storage tube is a great idea also for storage, I don't think there would be a way to hook it up perm because of the elevation of a drain vs mounting the tube. I'd like to see someone with a tube setup like that though, that would stay hooked up, one that would ride in a parallel position with the RV, then swing out with the collapsible hose inside where you could open a door, pull it out, drain tanks and push it back in close the door swivel it back around to the RV and be done with it.
The outer storage tube would also act as a support for part of the hose, no fuss no mess!
I think that this would be a great idea.....until you tried to dump at a dump station. That could present some problems.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #36
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I think that this would be a great idea.....until you tried to dump at a dump station. That could present some problems.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Well you'd have to stay 5-8ft away. When we dump at travel centers, were usually that far away there as a 10ft hose will just reach. As with anything, it may not be ideal in all situations.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #37
xrated

Well, I've decided to get the Viper 20' kit from Amazon. The one on their site shows that it comes with the clear or opaque sight glass at the end that goes into the sewer pipe. End caps are also available, as well as the Camco 20' Sidewinder house support. I just can't make myself spend almost $300 for the Drain master and white storage tube. Vinyl fence post and vinyl gutter are next on the list, then install when the weather cooperates.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #38
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"If you only use the rv a few times annually & loop/connect the water hose ends to store it, I'd throw it away after each use, inside of it is probably green & fuzzy, YUK!! "

On this subject we heartily disagree. RV'ing is expensive enough without trash-canning a perfectly good hose. The inside of that hose is not going to be green and fuzzy and I would hate to think that a newby came here and thought that would be the norm.
You guys are missing my point! Do not coil up the hose & connect the 2 ends together to store the hose for the long term, it WILL get moldy if closed up damp. I don't throw them away either, but I DO NOT store them with the ends connected.
Seal up a damp washcloth in a sandwich bag & store it in your rv in the dark warm storage compartment for a couple months & see how it looks, my guess is you'll throw the bag & washcloth away.
You can store yours however you choose, I'm attempting to warn newbies to not store them connected together, it's a sure way to come home with Montezumas revenge after a fun weekend of camping.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #39
travelin texans

I've had the opaque 90, still have but don't use it, the clear is much better to tell when it's rinsed clear.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Well, I've decided to get the Viper 20' kit from Amazon. The one on their site shows that it comes with the clear or opaque sight glass at the end that goes into the sewer pipe. End caps are also available, as well as the Camco 20' Sidewinder house support. I just can't make myself spend almost $300 for the Drain master and white storage tube. Vinyl fence post and vinyl gutter are next on the list, then install when the weather cooperates.
I would recommend the clear for sure. Not that I like watching stuff come out but the opaque is nearly useless to me. You see liquid but you don't know how clear etc. I got rid of my opaque after the first go round.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote