Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
xrated

Time for the Dirty Deed purchase....

OK, I've made it through one complete season of camping....but it was all at the race tracks where my wife and I worked as Instructors, teaching folks how to ride fast on motorcycles around a track. We've both retired from that now and this coming camping season we will be doing some actual camping....at campgrounds and such. At the tracks, they had full facilities and we've never used the Black tank.....but I am now going to make a purchase for the sewer connection kit and install a PVC fence post w/PVC gutter for storage. So the question I have, after looking at a lot of different brands and such, do any of you own the Valterra Viper system? It looks to be good quality and obviously I don't want something that is going to cause issues when using. So, if you have the Viper, please comment about how you feel about it's quality and how it stands up to durability on longevity.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are three "kinds" of sewer hose. Too thin, too thick and just right.....

STEER CLEAR OF THE CHEAP "TOO THIN" ONES !!!!!

Be aware the the "too thick" ones are very difficult to expand, bend and store when they are cold.....

That leaves the "just right ones" that are sturdy enough to survive use, light enough to store and pull to length, even when it's cold, don't leak after one use (like the too thin ones) and seem to work well....

That said, about 6 years ago we bought the $30 CAMCO kit at WalMart. Back then it was $19.99. It's two 10' hoses that connect together without adapters and a clear (opaque but clear enough) end piece to attach to the campground sewer connection. It's now going on the 7th year, still works perfectly, stores in the "fence post/gutter" storage and I'm expecting several more years. Actually, I bought the new one about 4 years after buying the first. Both are still in use and I rotate out the hoses every spring, sort of to "share the wear" on them. I found 20' wasn't quite enough at some campgrounds and that was the reason for buying the second set. Now I can go from one end of the trailer to the other plus about 10 feet, so I'm covered (not literally) with sewer hose for any campground we've found.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Rev...e-Kit/23636862

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

No experience with the one you mention, sorry. I own and use a Rhino Flex system. It is non-crushable which is good because I'm a klutz at heart and have stepped on mine numerous times. Stores in a plastic tote easily and is flexible all the time. A great product. Good luck. If you get the wrong one, you'll notice immediately, so no real pressure!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
fourfourto

I have the 15 foot CAMCO RHINO.
Bought it in 2008 for other camper , still good replaced 1 O ring(had some in stock) starting to get some kinks .
Never had it not reach (but I position camper if I think won't reach)

Probably replace this year at the end of season.

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
vampress_me

I believe we have the Viper hose. Hubby got it when we first got our camper in spring of 2014. We’ve never had a problem with it, and it’s never sprung a leak. Thank goodness! I have no experience with any other sewer hose, but this one seems sturdy and I know I’ve tripped over it once and did no damage to it. It has traveled many miles and has been used and put away quite often over these years. That’s the most I know - it moves “stuff” from point A to point B, and stores in its fence post quite well.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We just got back from town (weekend shopping trip) and something I didn't mention in my prior post, the CAMCO hose kit comes with end caps for each hose, so when you store them, they are a "sealed unit" and don't leak any of the "extras" into your fence post. I'm not sure if the Viper system had caps or not. Something to help keep things tidy and less "foul"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
busterbrown

I own the Camco Rhino Flex system and recommend it as it maintains its position on the sewer hose support. I did have Camco's Revolution on our first camping season and hated the movement on the support. I also recommend buying 2 (two) 10 ft sections as you'll find most sewer inlets on your campground site are within that range from your trailer's gate valve outlet. I carry (3) ten foot sections and have never used more than 20 feet. IMHO, the vinyl post and gutter sewer hose storage is a must.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
xrated

Thank you for all the replies everyone. So am I to assume that I need to get the sewer hose supports also? It seems like a no brainer, but remember,......first camper for me and obviously first sewer hose setup....Supports too?

Old 02-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Thank you for all the replies everyone. So am I to assume that I need to get the sewer hose supports also? It seems like a no brainer, but remember,......first camper for me and obviously first sewer hose setup....Supports too?
It's not a necessity but it helps control the downward slope of the sewer hose. It also helps keep the exterior of the hose clean, especially when it rains.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #10
DocWMB

Alternative Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWMB View Post
After much research here and at Lowe's, I decided to upgrade my sewer hose storage to the standards I've seen posted here. 5" PVC Fence Post with PVC Rain gutter to slide inside. Did some modifications to the rain gutter to allow it to expand or contract from 5 to 10 feet long, to use as hose support when needed. Mounted the post behind the front jacks with hose clamps around the upper part of the jack, and several sheet metal screws into the edges of the post. Seems to work pretty well, with storage for 2 Camco 10 foot hoses, my clear 45 deg connector, and the terminal connector for the sewer.
I made some modifications on my raingutter to allow it to telescope, so I could use it as a support for the hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-28_22-27-26_485.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	15346  
Oregon

DocWMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Like DocWMB we use the gutter "drawer" as a sewer hose support if we need it. We hang it on the sewer connection outlet on the trailer and let it "slope to the ground". While it's not quite 8' long, it seems to be enough to slope the sewer hose away from the trailer and "guide the stuff" down the slope without it snaking it's way to the campground connection.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #12
captcolour

I bought the Titan 20' multi-length kit at Camping World. Works fine. Don't forget a clear section for the trailer connection and the gate valve for the trailer.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #13
Frank G

I use a plastic tub to store all the hoses (2) and fittings. and it goes in the front compartment. Yes, get the good stuff, and make sure you have a clear fitting some ware in the line. Ours is a clear 90 just before the screw in fitting. The fitting that goes into the campground sewer. We have been on the road 103 days in the last year. We use the slinky hose support and it has worked out well for us. If you don't have a built in tank flush system there are some special fittings to help you clean out the black tank. I flush the tank every time we dump and add a throw in chemical to the clean tank.

When we break camp sometime in April and head north I think I will Dispose of the 2 year old hose in fear of future breakage due to sun rot. Any opinions on this?

If you go to all the work of installing a tube to store the sewer line make sure the fittings will fit.

Good Luck and Have Fun.
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
notanlines

Vernon, we also have the Camco Rhino system. Never any problems. Keep in mind that either the ladder system or something close is imperative to insure your drain slopes to the sewer connection. It must drain completely or you will have unmentionables laying in that hose, solids collecting in the bottom. Also remember to keep your valves closed until time to dump. Black goes first, followed by the grey tank to insure a good rinse.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
travelin texans

I had the Viper hose (actually 2, 1 long, 1 shorter) that I've used daily (sewer is at the rear so have used both) for almost 5 years & lying in the Arizona sun for the last 2 winters has finally taken it's toll. In my opinion they are as good as the Rhino hose but more flexible & not the oversized ends that don't fit in most tubes.
Also the majority of parks we've stayed in require your hose to be off the ground, so a good stand of some sort is required.
While speaking of requirements, a surge protector/EMS & a real water pressure regulator should be on the mandatory list if you don't have them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #16
xrated

Hard wired Progressive EMS.....Check!
Water Pressure Regulator w/spare....Check!

Now to decide whether I want the Viper or the Rhino Flex. I sure wish for the money that the Viper costs that they came with the hose ends without having to buy them extra.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

I use the Rhino tube and have been very happy....with extension, clear hose adapter.

Ours came with caps for both ends which are essential to me. Also, you really need the little ladder support for the hose. You cannot let it lay on the ground and expect it to function properly. The support gives you a gradual angle to the sewer connection which is imperative. Many locations have a sewer connection that sits above the ground; you have to be elevated above that for it to drain properly. Example;

I was camped next to a guy for about a month and a half. Came time for him to leave and I watched him work on that sewer hose for what seemed like an hour; pick it up on the trailer end and work it to the sewer dump...at least 3 times. I finally went over and asked if I could help and he said it didn't feel like the hose was draining. I got a flashlight and looked into the hose, at the "goo" he did not want to look at. He had just laid his hose on the ground and the dump was elevated by maybe 2", looking in the hose there was probably 1/2" of caked "stuff" on the bottom of the hose because it couldn't/didn't drain. The hose WAS heavy. I told him to bag it, seal it, dump it in the trash and get a new one with the elevated support to eliminate that in the future.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:01 AM   #18
Tinner12002

Check out this company that has the dump hose and a couple different enclosures.

http://drainmaster.com/rv/products/mini-view11
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #19
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Check out this company that has the dump hose and a couple different enclosures.

http://drainmaster.com/rv/products/mini-view11
Tinner.....thanks for the link to that company. Damn, they are proud of their stuff. I had seen that system on a google search a few days ago, but kind of put them out of my mind because of the price. Their website pricing is cheaper than anywhere else I saw it though, so it might be back in contention. Wow, lots of choices here.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #20
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Tinner.....thanks for the link to that company. Damn, they are proud of their stuff. I had seen that system on a google search a few days ago, but kind of put them out of my mind because of the price. Their website pricing is cheaper than anywhere else I saw it though, so it might be back in contention. Wow, lots of choices here.
Yep they are a little pricey but if you can get a system where you don't have to hook and unhook the hose each time...well maybe not so pricey!
I first seen their setup on a youtube video for a Vengeance touring toy hauler, it came from the Forest River factory with their system already installed. I seen one of their systems go through ebay shortly afterward for $150 and I passed it up thinking there would be more, then read where another member on another forum purchased it.. I'm thinking this summer sometime to get one and install in on my RV.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote