Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Wayne883

Fuse for Thermostat

This may be well known by some here but was unknown by me until a few days ago. It got a little chilly down here in Mobile, Al so I decided to run my gas furnace in the Raptor one night. The next morning I noticed it was cold inside and the thermostat didn’t respond. No big deal, just another bug to chase down when time permits. A few days later I turn the AC on because it’s now hot in Mobile, and nothing happens. I notice I’ve got a blown fuse indicator in the power panel so I grab the fuse to remove it and the AC comes on. Apparently this is the low voltage supply for the thermostat. Turns out the fuse holder just needs tightening up to get the thermostat to work. I hope someone finds this useful because my first thought was to replace the thermostat, which was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayne883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
Wayne883

And I forgot to mention, this fuse was also the source for the refrigerator control power. Thought that odd.

Wayne883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

Had problems with the furnace working in our 2018 Montana High Country 310re. Found Keystone used a 15 amp “self healing” fuze that over-heated and went into an “on/off/reset” cycle. Furnace cycled on/off/on/off uncontrollably. Replaced the fuze with a standard 15 amp fuze. Success for a while. But then we found the 12 volt fuze buss input was enlarged. Seems overheating by constant switching (and possibly too-light 14 gauge wire) made the input too loose to hold fuze securely. Moved fuze and its wire to an unoccupied spot which worked, but changing the entire panel to be safe. It might be only a 12 volt furnace fan, but it pulls a lot of power for its size. High draw can “warp” the fuze receptacle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne883 View Post
And I forgot to mention, this fuse was also the source for the refrigerator control power. Thought that odd.

You might be suprised (shocked) at how many different things can be one circuit. Usually the total amp draw of everything on that circuit doesn’t exceed the fuse rating. I have a tool that will plug into the fuse holder and as you turn things on it will show how many amps are being drawn.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse