Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Lea's Lunchroom is the "Pie Capitol" of Louisiana. They have a reputation of making the bestest pies in all of the south... Whether it's true or not, having a piece of apple pie (or cherry or lemon or chocolate or ?????) with a good cup of fresh coffee is definitely a treat to remember.... Ken Brady Ford (now closed and long gone) was where I bought my Ford's for years and years.

It's spelled "LeCompte" for pronounced, "LaCount"..... There's not much around there any more except Lea's. Funny someone from "outside CENLA" has heard of it......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Oh I almost forgot, if you want to eat some good "plain folks seafood" Robbie G's on the end of Jackson Street Extension is one of the best around that area. It's not "uppity" and if you have a button up shirt and tie shoes, you're probably going to feel "overdressed"... It's great food, cooked right and priced for the working family. Sort of reminds me of the kind of place that would use "brown paper bags" to drain the grease off the shrimp and fries" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Lea's Lunchroom is the "Pie Capitol" of Louisiana. They have a reputation of making the bestest pies in all of the south... Whether it's true or not, having a piece of apple pie (or cherry or lemon or chocolate or ?????) with a good cup of fresh coffee is definitely a treat to remember.... Ken Brady Ford (now closed and long gone) was where I bought my Ford's for years and years.

It's spelled "LeCompte" for pronounced, "LaCount"..... There's not much around there any more except Lea's. Funny someone from "outside CENLA" has heard of it......

Funny you should mention LeCompte. That's where my daughter in law and grandgirl live so WE know where it's at . Been a crazy couple of weeks. I was going to contact my DIL to check out Lea's but you had that covered John. Thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #24
gearhead

LaCompte or Lacount, that always messed me up. Kinfolks would say Lacount and I would try to find it on the map. Kinda like fishing for "trout" in Spring Creek. Bass.

I'll have to remember Robbie G's. Crocs, shorts, and t shirt. My kinda joint.

Back when I was maybe 10 yrs old me and Mom were going to visit LA folks. Mom took uncle Floyd along because he wanted to go somewhere, maybe Alec. So we stop in a small town bus station, probably Kinder or Oberlin, and uncle Floyd sends me in to find out when the bus comes through to Alec. I asked, but dang I couldn't understand a word they said. I came back to the car. Well when is it? I don't know. They didn't tell you? I don't know, they said something but I don't know what. Wish my Dad would have taught me the little bit of French he knew.

Lea's... we somehow stumbled in there a couple years ago. Sunday lunch. The "after church" crowd. Not bad, limited Sunday menu. I would go back.

Most of my folks are gone from there. To Lake Charles, Port Arthur, or Houston. Not much opportunity in central LA. Like my Dad said...nobody came to Houston for the weather or the scenery. They came for jobs. You could always find a job in Houston. Still holds.

But I sure enjoy studying the people and history of Southwest LA.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Gearhead,

If you like history and the Civil War era history, the next time you're around the south Louisiana area, in the Hammond/Greenwell Springs area, take the "short trip" north to Tangiphoa (half way between Amite and Kentwood) and stop by the Camp Moore Confederate Cemetary/Museum. Interesting area and a lot of local historical information. Southeastern's library has an excellent reference library. Our neighbor when I was a kid was Mrs Irene Morris. She wrote a number of books on the Kentwood legacy and the people who lived in and around the St Helena/Tanghipoa Parish area. She donated all her records to Southeastern just before she died. Much of that is still yet to be released, but it's a "treasure trove" of local history dating from about 1800-current.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #26
gearhead

I have heard of Camp Moore. I didn't realize, or forgot, they had a museum. I think they do a lot of re-enactments as well. I have used their website trying to unravel my gggrandfathers service.
John since you're from the English Parishes you might enjoy William C Davis' "THE ROUGUE REPUBLIC" Good read but it is very detailed. One of Davis' other books is a great read: 'THREE ROADS TO THE ALAMO" Biography of Bowie, Crockett, & Travis. Definitely not 8th grade history class. Disregard the references to my 3ggrandfather. Lots of LA info with Bowie. Easy reading and you can put it down and pick it up later easily.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Gentlemen:

I just want to tell you how much I appreciate your insight and thoughts on history and your experiences in a place that is really neat. IMO all thoughts on the forum don't have to be about an RV something. These posts are very interesting and close to me. Thank you and keep it up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:26 PM   #28
gearhead

Danny I do have a tendency to go astray!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #29
gearhead

Bowie

I had put this post together then didn't post it. It is far off subject, it's personal, and most don't care. When I found this piece of paper in a file cabinet in the attic of the St. Landry Parish courthouse, I about cried. A scrap of very old paper. A promissory note written in 1818 to my 3ggrandfather obligating Jim Bowie to pay him $500 for a land deal. Only problem was James D Reeves didn't own the land. Uh-oh, where's my knife! Supposedly, according to William C Davis, this is what educated and inspired Bowie to forge land titles to many many acres of land in LA and Arkansas. When that was discovered by the Feds, Bowie came to Texas to do the same thing. Same conditions...Texas was a Spanish area previously and the land papers were not there.
Let's see if this legible..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00877.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	15313  
Old 02-13-2018, 02:40 AM   #30
notanlines

That $500 in 1818 was worth about $9500 in today's greenbacks. Land was fairly cheap back in the day, even if it was illegal.
On a tastier note:
Brenda and I have travelled this country from end to end; eaten most every kind of specialty food in every corner. Steak in Kansas City, Tex-Mex in south Texas, pizza in New York, lobster in Mine, stone crabs in south Florida, pork in Memphis. You get my drift.
But nowhere have we visited that offers the vast array of ethnic foods like Louisiana. It isn't really something one can put their finger on. I'll just pick one restaurant at random. Mother's on Poydras in New Orleans is just one of thousands where EVERY meal is worth the stand in line.
One little anecdote before I sign off: Yesterday I commented that I was making a pan of bread pudding for the pot-luck tomorrow. One of our neighbors commented "You aren't putting raisins in it, are you?"
I'm not speaking to her for the rest of the month...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:54 AM   #31
gearhead

I'll sacrifice myself and take that bread pudding with or without raisins. A little rum or bourbon over it ain't bad either.
LA is a surprising mixture of cultures, especially the further south you go. Some of those folks that assume they're Cajun are German. Throw in the Italians, the Canary "islanders", the Creoles, and the Africans, and it's quite the gumbo.
My paternal folks were English with just a little Cajun.
My Dad, his brother, and their sister owned and operated small cafes in Houston just before and after WWII. They ultimately got "real jobs" but that LA based cooking stayed with them.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Justin Wilson (of PBS cooking show fame) and my dad grew up together. Most people outside Louisiana know him best for his "Cajun comedy" and his "cooking show". He was not a chef and although he "cooked Cajun" on PBS for many years, at home, he always conferred with his wife on every recipe. Even out in the yard, at the "Cajun microwave", when he was preparing a Cochon de Lait you'd hear him yell, "Mon sha, how much red peppa I put in da rub fo do pig?"... He was an excellent "story teller" and many times, when I was a teen and after we married, we'd sit around drinking Dixie beer, listening to his stories, usually with greasy fingers from "pickin' da cracklin's off da pig" while he turned the spit, making sure that pig never burned.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #33
gearhead

He was a very interesting man. We watched his shows as often as we could. We have at least 1 of his cookbooks. He was educated and his background was not what I would have thought.
Me and Betty were just talking about him when we were making the last courtbillion. Laughing about following his recipe at least 25 years ago. He called for like 6 quarts of water, and we did it. It took hours to boil that off. Must have been a typo.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #34
notanlines

I remember that on occasion he would ask for a little wine to get the taste of that water out of his mouth......
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote