Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
5th_Wheelin

Does anyone here have any contacts with Keystone's engineering department?

What I'm trying to do is obtain a side profile and top view of my specific 5th wheel in a CAD format. Just an overall, non-detailed view. What I'm going to be doing soon is laying out and designing my future barn / shop / home and having these layouts will help with the design of the new place.

I did try calling Keystone, and that was a "no go".
5th_Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't know of anyone at Keystone who would be able to provide that information. I'd guess that it's a part of the overall "proprietary data" and considered not releasable to the public. Keystone keeps all of that kind of data very closely guarded.

Someone may have a friend of a friend kind of arrangement, but outside of that, I'd suggest you consider building your own set of measurements.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
dcg9381

Level of effort to get a CAD drawing (even if possible) out of Keystone is probably 10 out of 10.

Level of effort to draw a square box to your trailers dimensions in CAD is 1 out of 10.

I've never seen a CAD drawing of a Keystone RV. Even spaceshuttle seems to non-CAD software... Or really basic CAD renderings.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Thinking beyond my initial post, even if you do happen upon a CAD drawing, typically people own an RV for 3-5 years and own a home for 30-40 years, so what you build today will be "superseded with different measurements" likely before you repaint the kitchen in your new home. As dcg9381 said, just draw a box with approximate measurements and add what you think reasonable for "future RV upsizing".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
5th_Wheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Thinking beyond my initial post, even if you do happen upon a CAD drawing, typically people own an RV for 3-5 years and own a home for 30-40 years, so what you build today will be "superseded with different measurements" likely before you repaint the kitchen in your new home. As dcg9381 said, just draw a box with approximate measurements and add what you think reasonable for "future RV upsizing".
New home will be built as a garage / shop on the first floor with living quarters on the second. If I can design it to accommodate my current 5th wheel (40'), it'll accommodate anything I purchase in the future. If anything, what I end up buying in the future will be smaller than what I have now (no kids).

Also, I know I can draw and couple of rectangles and do what I need and complete the job. I just think it would be nice to have cad renderings of the 5th wheel displayed in the drawings. It's a nice to have, not a need to have.
5th_Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd urge you to proceed with drawing your plans without the CAD drawings. If you wait for them (from Keystone) you'll likely still be waiting 2 or 3 years from now. Electrical/plumbing diagrams and aluminum sidewall plans are "non-existant" so expecting CAD drawings on shape/size are going to be like believing in a "unicorn".... You might know they exist, but finding someone who has seen one.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
B-O-B'03

How about just adding dimensions to this?

-Brian
Old 01-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's kinda what I'm thinking also, done some CAD work myself but for what your trying to do, a measured outline drawn with the program is probably the best your going to do, that is unless you have a hand held 3D scanner you could walk around the RV with. Don't try to overthink the whole thing when a couple good measurements will do the trick.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
dcg9381

I'm building an RV storage building too, perhaps with a living area above the next bay.
The critical things to me were:
* Length of the RV, about 38'.
* Length of a friends RV (larger 5th wheel) + his truck - we wanted to be able to get that in there - 55'.
* Height of my RV in terms of clearance. Mine is <13'6", which means a 14' door and a building that has 16' eves...

It's cool to see a 2d model of stuff, like a couch when building a CAD drawing, but RVs are so easy to approximate with a square box.

A CAD drawing of a Keystone is a bit of a holy grail.. Kinda like the electrical or plumbing schematic.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone