Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
Missslucrew

HELP! First time staying for days at a dry campground!

Hey everyone! I want to know what you think is the most important to buy before camping dry for an extended period of time. For Thanksgiving we are going to a campground with no hookups! We'll be there for 5 days.... they do have a dump and water spigots around the campground... and advice is always appreciated!
Missslucrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
Tinner12002

Clothes dishes and such for living in RV, don't forget toilet paper!
Chemicals for black tank
Water hose for drinking water
Sewer hose for dumping tanks
LP gas for RV and grilling
Grill for outside cooking
Lawn chairs
Ground mat, at least 9'x12'
Folding table to sit grill on
Cooler to keep beer cold
Ice for cooler
Outside of all that...plenty of beer to keep cooler filled!!
Almost forgot, moving blanket to cover cooler to help keep beer cold!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Missslucrew

Haha, that's hilarious!

We have the neccessities...but usually camp at grounds with full hookups, cable tv, the works! We've stayed at this campground a coupe of times, but only for a couple days... the fresh water lasted and the tanks didn't fill up... but or 6 days will definitely fill up the tanks and use the water... so I'm thinning i might need a portable grey tank or other things for longer periods of camping.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missslucrew View Post
Haha, that's hilarious!

We have the neccessities...but usually camp at grounds with full hookups, cable tv, the works! We've stayed at this campground a coupe of times, but only for a couple days... the fresh water lasted and the tanks didn't fill up... but or 6 days will definitely fill up the tanks and use the water... so I'm thinning i might need a portable grey tank or other things for longer periods of camping.
Yes... my best friend is a 35 gallon portable tank for grey water... I'd suggest a generator if you ain't already though of that... them batteries most likely won't make six days..
Old 11-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Missslucrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yes... my best friend is a 35 gallon portable tank for grey water... I'd suggest a generator if you ain't already though of that... them batteries most likely won't make six days..
Ok...35 gallons... that's what I need to know! We have the companion Honda 2000 generators, so we're good there! I'm going to get that tank on order! Thanks!
Old 11-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missslucrew View Post
Ok...35 gallons... that's what I need to know! We have the companion Honda 2000 generators, so we're good there! I'm going to get that tank on order! Thanks!
I used to tow it behind the truck to the dump but at some of the places we stay the drive to the dump station is a mile or more, so now I have a 12V pump to pump the grey water into the tote and leave the tote in the pickup bed... then just hook a 3" dump hose to the tote at the dump station...
Old 11-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
jsmith948

Navy showers and/or bird baths are a good idea. The wife and I can make it 5 days with a 38 gal black tank. Depending on how many there are of you, you might consider using the CG toilets during the day.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
gearhead

Since you have the 2 Honda's, you might look into a IPI long run tank.
http://www.ipiindustries.com/service...ded-run-tank-1
The 2 of us can make 5-6 days taking Navy showers.
Depends on how you feel about it, where you are camping, and what the campground owners have posted; but you might be able to drain some gray water off to the ground. If you have a separate garden hose for black tank flushing (and you should) you could hook that to your drain valve if you have a cap with a hose fitting. I wouldn't do that if you're parked next to a lake or a pristine trout stream though. Since they have a dump it would be best to use that.
Lots of the usual stuff...paper goods, meats for grilling, etc.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Navy showers and/or bird baths are a good idea. The wife and I can make it 5 days with a 38 gal black tank. Depending on how many there are of you, you might consider using the CG toilets during the day.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Bird Bath, have not heard that for many years.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
kjohn

Having to hook up and tow approx. 40 miles to a dump prompted me to buy a macerator. I carry an extra 25 gallon water barrel in the truck for water, and have an empty DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) barrel for the grey and black water. A dedicated garden hose for the black water from the trailer to the truck, and a 12v battery and whizzer pump in the truck for water from the truck to the trailer, and I'm set! I have a canopy on the truck so nothing shows. I drain the DEF barrel with a shorter length of garden hose.

The macerator comes with wires and switch to power off the trailer, and had an inlet for clean water to swill out the area where the macerator hooks to the trailer sewage outlet. Works like a charm.

Mine is this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Flojet-1855500...macerator+pump
Old 01-28-2018, 01:16 AM   #11
DocWMB

One or two 5 gallon freshwater cans, making sure they will interface to fill your freshwater tank. I have only one Yamaha 2000 and only need to run it a couple hours a day while running the coffeemaker in the morning to keep the batteries charged for lights and miscellaneous draws. If you're running TV, AC and all, you'll obviously need to keep the generator(s) running.
Oregon

DocWMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:25 AM   #12
Tinner12002

Hopefully the OP got it all figured out before his trip. I had one of those totes for black water, used it one time then sold it 3 yrs later. I would recommend getting a tote that has the same or larger capacity than your black tank if possible so you don't overfill your it.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:06 AM   #13
fourfourto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Since you have the 2 Honda's, you might look into a IPI long run tank.
http://www.ipiindustries.com/service...ded-run-tank-1
The 2 of us can make 5-6 days taking Navy showers.
Depends on how you feel about it, where you are camping, and what the campground owners have posted; but you might be able to drain some gray water off to the ground. If you have a separate garden hose for black tank flushing (and you should) you could hook that to your drain valve if you have a cap with a hose fitting. I wouldn't do that if you're parked next to a lake or a pristine trout stream though. Since they have a dump it would be best to use that.
Lots of the usual stuff...paper goods, meats for grilling, etc.
at some state or local campgrounds you can get fined or kicked out for dumping gray water its a NO NO

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #14
PopBeavers

We have stayed in a lot of Forest Service campgrounds over the years. The ones where the water spigots are scattered around the loops. On top of that, the faucet is not threaded for a hose.

Get a water Thief! This solves the problem of no faucet threads.

I always carry a 5 gallon bucket so I can get water if my hoses are too short. Every time my hoses were too short I bought another hose. I have been carrying 175 feet of fresh water hose and in the last 7 years have never needed more.
Transfer Flow aux. fuel tank in tool box
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #15
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto View Post
at some state or local campgrounds you can get fined or kicked out for dumping gray water its a NO NO
Several years ago I stopped at the Ranger Station near Pinecrest Lake in CA. I wanted to know what the rules/law was regarding dumping gray water on the ground. Five rangers inside and no one could answer my question.

I asked the campground host at the Forest Service campground. He had hookups so it did not matter to him. He suggested capturing the gray water in a pail and dumping it on the ground outside the perimeter of the campground.

Understand that this was in one of California's many drought years. For much of California it does not rain at all from around May until Halloween. I am pretty sure that by July the bushes are desperate for any water they can get.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #16
PopBeavers

Several years ago I gave a speech titled "Introduction to Dry Camping, Cutting the Umbilical Cords". It is about an hour long. It was taped and DVDs were created.

If I can find it would anyone be interested in it? I could probably post it to YouTube.

Somewhere I have the Power Point slides.

Tags
campground