Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
TheBeans

A mod for the hubby!

While the hubby is away on business this week, I decided to do a mod that is just for him. It's certainly not original, but I'm sure he's going to think that this is the best mod ever!!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
curlyfungirl

What did you use to install? I think my hubby might like something like this.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
TheBeans

The bottle opener came with two wood screws. I wanted screws that didn't have a point on the end so there wasn't any chance anyone would get scratched and/or stabbed when they opened the compartment door. This required my replacing those two wood screws with two machine screws (flat head, blunt bottom). Then, I drilled two pilot holes where the screws needed to go (I used a slightly smaller drill bit than the screws). I put the opener against the wall, inserted screws into the pilot holes and tighted them to within 1/4" of the wall. Then ran a silicone-laden toothpick around the screw threads and finished tightening them up. This would give me a watertight seal from the outside elements. On the back of the compartment door, the screws were poking thru about 1/4" (I made sure to use screws that were wider than the thickness of the door) and painted those threads from my silicone-laden toothpick and then put on nuts and tightened those up as well. The silicone on the inside would guarantee a waterproof treatment, in case the silicone on the outside failed. And that's all there was to it.

The hardest part was deciding where to attach the opener, because it has to have a flush-surface to mount to and the siding on our rig isn't smooth---it's panels with ridges (if that makes any sense) so I opted for the storage compartment on the outside, which is flush. The hubby is MOST happy with this mod and it only cost me about $8 for the opener and then some elbow-grease from myself.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
erjs05

Very nice, I'm sure he'll love it.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
michol02

Speechless Hank??? LOL

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
trucker LOU

Hey Beans , I did one for myself, scrap aluminium angle & a few screws to stair frame.----LOU----
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	3492  
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
dankent

Fantastic, lots of thought and care went into doing this. Good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeans View Post
The bottle opener came with two wood screws. I wanted screws that didn't have a point on the end so there wasn't any chance anyone would get scratched and/or stabbed when they opened the compartment door. This required my replacing those two wood screws with two machine screws (flat head, blunt bottom). Then, I drilled two pilot holes where the screws needed to go (I used a slightly smaller drill bit than the screws). I put the opener against the wall, inserted screws into the pilot holes and tighted them to within 1/4" of the wall. Then ran a silicone-laden toothpick around the screw threads and finished tightening them up. This would give me a watertight seal from the outside elements. On the back of the compartment door, the screws were poking thru about 1/4" (I made sure to use screws that were wider than the thickness of the door) and painted those threads from my silicone-laden toothpick and then put on nuts and tightened those up as well. The silicone on the inside would guarantee a waterproof treatment, in case the silicone on the outside failed. And that's all there was to it.

The hardest part was deciding where to attach the opener, because it has to have a flush-surface to mount to and the siding on our rig isn't smooth---it's panels with ridges (if that makes any sense) so I opted for the storage compartment on the outside, which is flush. The hubby is MOST happy with this mod and it only cost me about $8 for the opener and then some elbow-grease from myself.

Current:
2014 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

Sold:
2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS
dankent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
Ruffus

Wow

What a loving Wife!!!!!!!
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
TheBeans

I admit that this was my way of saying thank you to Darrell (Mr. Bean) for putting up with my obsession with modding our rig! He thinks I'm nuts---says "it's just camping!" and then I feel the need to whack him with the hand-held bottle opener. So maybe this mod should also be considered a lesson in First Aid, since I can't whack him with a bottle opener if it's securely attached to the trailer, right?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
michael

If you cant take the opener to the head take the head to the opener. Those should be mounted on all sides of the RV and every lawn chair. Funny stuff

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
TheBeans

LOL!!! Michael, that is EXACTLY what my BIL said when I sent him a picture of it. I think you men are on to something!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

Wendy if your dh doesn't like that then it's time to trade him in nice job and well thought out. " HAY HONEY LOOK AT THIS"
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
sjturbo

Gotta Love it! And it's right where I put my chair!!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote