Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #61
jimmyriley

KOA Thread

Williamsburg would give a 4. Bathroom in the main building is pretty old and nasty but the Bathroom in the general park is nice and clean.
Virginia Beach give a 4 due to the bathroom in the full time area is nasty however, the other restrooms are good.
Fayetteville, NC would give a 4 due to dust everywhere but the sites are nice and spacious.
KOA in Four Oaks, NC is awesome as sites are spacious and the bathrooms are some of the cleanest I have seen.
KOA in Wythesville, Va have extremely small sites and fire rings are only portable types the size of a frying pan. hard to get into the sites. had to buy blocks to raise the tires on my truck in order to get level just to unhook the hitch. I will not return to this KOA.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #62
suza

Question Albany/Corvallis Oregon

We are planning a kayaking excursion on the Willamette River and thinking of setting up camp at the Albany/Corvallis, OR KOA. Has anyone stayed there? Comments?

Thanks
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #63
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
I have stayed at one KOA. Pprobably will never stay at another one. I am a state park/COE/NFS kind of camper. Average cost less than $30 a night.
We like the State & County Parks/COEs/NFS campgrounds too. Unfortunately, during Summer months they are usually booked far in advance. What do you do when the urge hits to go camping and you're towing a 5th wheel? Are most KOA's booked up, as well? Fortunately, we are retired, so weekdays are an option, but I have been looking at campsites, and it doesn't seem to matter what days you want. Before and after Summer vacation there is a very small window of decent weather in Oregon
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #64
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennydog View Post
Currently in the Klamath Falls OR KOA. Got here Thursday night so the DW could participate in the Master Regional Rowing competition. We're here thru Monday and then headed for Lassen NP where we'll stay in the park. Nice folks and just on the edge of town so close to the rowing. I use KOA's mostly as on the way places to stay, great for one night as the are usually close to the main road, and mostly clean. If it were not for the racing I would not spend 4 nights in one. Rather be up in Crater Lake.

B
@ bennydog: Have you camped at Crater Lake? Where is a good place?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 06-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #65
suza

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I agree, "A woman's place is in the home ... and she should be there right after work!" .... I can feel it coming! Sorry ladies but the devil made me do it. I wonder how that sofa bed works?????
Hank,

You might want to add this to your "mod list": If you have a laundry hatch, make it large enough that your DW can shove you into the cargo bay! LOL
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #66
suza

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakingsella View Post
We have stayed at the KOA in Astoria (Warrenton) several times and I'd agree it is the best one we've stayed in. I'd give it a 5!

On our last trip we stayed in KOA parks in Waldport, OR and Bandon, OR. We stayed a week in each of the two parks.

I'd only give the park in Bandon a 4, because it is limited in some of the facilities that are available in Astoria, but it has level, roomy sites and easy access. It is a small park but is very woodsy. The owner seems to be the jack-of-all-trades. He works behind the counter and handles the care and maintenance. We were there after the vacation season (September) so he might have some additional help during the busy season. He is very friendly and does of good job of keeping the park in good condition. We are planning another trip to Bandon next year. We enjoyed the KOA and there are a lot of activities in the area. Bandon is one of the most fun towns on the Oregon Coast!

I'd give the park at Waldport a 3+. It is smaller than Astoria but larger than Bandon, with limited services, spaces are smaller and not as roomy, you are closer to your neighbors. The staff is friendly and they do have a store and playground facilities if you are traveling with kids. I may be more harsh on the Waldport KOA because we found there was not nearly as much to do in the area than we had expected. The town of Waldport isn't much of a tourist town and you have to drive some distance to get to the activities we enjoy. We would defiantly stay there for an overnight if passing through but would not plan an extend stay.

One final note, the Astoria KOA is a little pricey, at $50+ in the summer but offers a 25% discount to active duty and retired military which makes it more affordable if you are eligible for the discount.
Dave: Glad you enjoyed Bandon. We live just 30 miles inland. I love going to Bandon, but my husband hates the wind Lots of beauty on the Southern Oregon Coast, IMO

Sorry for monopolizing this thread
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 06-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #67
ewkearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
DW and I spent the night at the KOA in Wytheville, NC (pronouned withville).

Not really impressed at all. Was great for a 1 night pass thru. Seleted a pull thru sight via after hrs chek in. Wouldn't stay here for a weekend or extended trip.....pulll thru sites very narrow. Would stay here again for 1 night while travelling. Very close to highway.....rts 81 and 77.

Cabins had a fence immed out front with camp sites right on the other side....didn't seem fair to cabin renters.

** out of 5
Note: Wytheville is in VA.....
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #68
cabinfever

We stayed at the Mercer/ Grove City KOA this past weekend. Very nice facility. Lots of trees. The pool, store, and showers are nice. The staff is great! This KOA is close to interstate 80 and 79 in NW PA. There were many one night stop overs while we were there, so if anyone is traveling and looking for a stop over I'd give this KOA a very good rating. Also, 10 minutes from the KOA is outlet shopping, winery, lots of restaurants, and (most importantly to me ) a dirt track that runs sprint cars!

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #69
suza

Small world at KOA

Stopped by the Albany/Corvallis, Oregon KOA to scout out a kayaking excursion later this summer and found it truly is "a small world, after all" . . . . . .

After visiting with the owner for a bit, I mentioned that we lived along the Coquille River. He asked me if we were near Myrtle Point (that's our hometown!). Seems he lived there and attended kindergarten through 5th grade in the late 50's-early 60's, when his dad was pastor at the Lutheran church. I did not live there at that time, but he went to school in two of the school buildings where I worked and knows a lot of people I know now. The KOA he owns and manages is on land that has been in his family for over 100 years.

The campground is pretty nice. It is close to the highway that runs from I-5 to Corvallis, but well protected by trees. The grounds are tidy, though not emmaculate; the lawns in the sites were a bit unkempt, but everything was very clean. It felt homey and not too "Park-like". The RV sites are all pull-throughs with about half of them 50 amp and half 30 amp. Most have full hook-ups, including cable and WiFi with a few without sewer (there is a dump station on site). There are also a few cabins (just for sleeping - no kitchens or bathrooms) and quite a few tent camping sites. Ammenities include a heated pool, convenience store, propane, dog park, basketball court, a nature trail, and access to the Calapooya River. There is also a small minature golf course available for an extra fee.

Most sites were roomy and not too close together. I found some that would be good for our family group of RVs camping together. All sites are at least 60' long, so there's plenty of room for a tow vehicle.

The owners were very friendly and willing to take the time to answer my questions. They even suggested some possible places for getting in and out of the river with our kayaks. They checked availability during the summer and told me about weekends with busy summer events when the park is generally pretty full.

It looks like a good place to camp out for a few days while we do some kayaking on the Willamette and Calapooya Rivers. After that, we plan to head East past Lebanon and Sweet Home to spend several days at Sunnyside Park on Foster Lake where there are a lot of little inlets and streams for paddling and a spacious park for relaxing and enjoying the final days of summer. This park is very popular, being close to Salem, and pretty much booked until after Labor Day, but that's OK with us. September has some of the best weather here in Oregon and the crowds will be done for the Summer camping season.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #70
ctpd814

Our favorite so far has been the Mt Rushmore KOA in South Dakota. It is a little out of the way from the freeway, but there are tons of sight seeing in the area and CG was great.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
Old 07-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #71
jsmith948

Boomtown

Recently stayed one night at the KOA in Boomtown (Reno area) NV.
Nice park. Clean, paved sites with tables and grassy areas between sites.
Full hook ups. Our site was a little unlevel. Pretty quiet except for the occasional train. Was a good overnite stop for $48.57 for a pull-thru. The DIL and Grandkids liked the pool.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
Old 07-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #72
dave-g

Just stayed a LURAY KOA this place is beautiful! From what I'm told the park has been there a while but is new the koa- I would call this a flag ship park. The bath rooms were large and clean and smelled good. The laundry was of average size.

I stayed a a patio site- ( they up graded or free because it was available) Great gravel level spot with a 10x30 concrete patio- with a nice round glass table with 4 chairs that had cushions. A few steps off the patio was a 8x8 paver patio with 2 Adirondack chairs and a fire pit - also made from pavers. This fire pit over looked a grass field at the center of the camp ground. this grass field is massive, and all the rv park along the edge of the field length wise, NOT backed in-

Other sites were also large and private-

This is such a class place even the sewer cap for hook up was hinged with a foot pedal that had a thick rubber gasket on the bottom.

ON Friday nights they make pizza in a big brick oven.

I was so pleased with the place I forgot to mention how great the staff was.

If all KOA's were like this they would be #1 in camp grounds.

KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 07-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #73
crash

Great to hear.We were thinking about going there in a few weeks.Can you post more pics?
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
Old 07-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #74
crash

That was the Luray Virginia Koa right?
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
Old 07-31-2013, 04:18 AM   #75
dave-g

Yes Luray VA-

Sorry I have no more pictures.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 08-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #76
Kenworth

Hocking Hills KOA

Just got here yesterday, seems nice. Level parking, but the rest of the area is hilly...no liquor for me with that. Very clean, well maintained. Kinda pricey, but ya can't take it with ya...
Old 08-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #77
FlyingBelle

South Bend/Elkart KOA in Granger, IN - 2

I would have rated it a 3, until I read the rest of the posts and saw how nice some of the other KOAs are!

This was our first KOA stay. We had a pull-through full hookup with Cable. The owner was great about leading us to the site and helping hubby align for our slideouts. Couldn't get the cable to work at all (during the Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup Finals!!), but could get a good number of over-the-air stations.

The site was small, compared to what I'm used to. The firepit was located directly under our awning, so we couldn't have a campfire unless we retracted the awning, and the site on the other side of us had their firepit right up against our camper! (They didn't have a fire either)

The full hookups for the site on the other side of us were so close to us I had to watch my kids like a hawk - they were very interested in the hoses and stuff (ew!)

We were told by the owner if we had booked earlier we could have gotten one of the "nicer" sites. He pointed to the ones across the road, which looked identical to ours.

The "heated" pool was cold, and the sidewalk leading to it was all busted up. They showed movies, but they were odd, obscure films from the 70's (and not kid-friendly). there was a "petting zoo" which consisted of a donkey and 2 goats - one of which was missing a leg because a dog had gotten in several years ago (freaked my daughter out). We found the mini-golf on the 3rd day, you had to walk through a field of weeks, and on to a cement patio - which had markings of "no diving".

It's located in a suburban neighborhood, so you can walk to an Italian place and Dairy Queen and other typical places. It was about a 40 minute drive to Amish Acres.

Overall the owners were nice, although a little hostile when I gave them an average rating on the KOA website. The sites were clean, though small. And there is a train nearby that you can clearly hear throughout the night.

I wouldn't stay here again to vacation. But it seemed most folks were just passing-through to their next location and only stayed one night.
2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV
Disney Obsessed!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #78
kmc58

Mt Pleasant/Charleston SC KOA

Stayed this past weekend at this KOA. Very nice and large pull thru spaces for our Keystone Fuzion 395. We are empty nesters but it is very kid friendly with a nice pool, playground, wagon rides through the 355 acre plantation, nice lake. Near historic Charleston and the USS Yorktown. The rate was 40 a night but we were given a night free since we are frequent KOA customers. The only bad thing about this campground was that our neighbors wouldn't clean up after their poodle.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #79
Bigsky3625

West Glacier KOA

Took a trip to Banff and then down to West Glacier KOA. Nice spot. Off the main road in the woods. All big rig sites are pull thrus. Would stay again. Clean. Very quiet.
One Wife

Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #80
Bigsky3625

Missoula KOA

On our way back to the Redmond area from West Glacier we stopped for a night at the Missoula KOA. What a surprise.

Middle of town. Trailer parks on two sides. School bus barn on the south side.

Not what we expected. Way to pricey and too noisy.

Glad it was OK only for one night. Won't go again. Would rather drive another 4 hours to Blackwell Island.
One Wife

Closed Thread